mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Problem Configuring Multi On the Motif Rack XS"

Posted on: May 13, 2013 @ 01:20 PM
Richard N
Total Posts:  5
Joined  05-09-2013

I have successfully configured my DAW to record and play Voices in the Motif Rack XS.  Now, I am trying to configure a Multi on my Motif Rack XS to record and play different Voices simultaneously on separate tracks of the DAW but I am having difficulty.  I chose a Multi and edited Part 1 and Part 2 for the two Voices that I want to play simultaneously with the MIDI recorded on two different tracks.  I set up the first track to see if it would play the Voice I put on Part 1, using Channel 1.  When I began playback, I could hear the MIDI being played in the Voice that I chose for Part 1 but it was drowned out by about 8 beats of a rhythmic percussive band playing very loudly that repeated as a loop.  When I stopped the playback for the song, the loop continued to play endlessly, as though it were some Audition mode in the Motif Rack.  I found that I could stop the repetitive loop from playing by turning the encoder knob dial to a different Multi setting, although, I don’t really understand why the percussive band loop plays like that when I play the MIDI track in my DAW. 

Obviously, I haven’t configured this correctly, but I don’t know how to correct it.  Does anyone have an idea of why a percussive loop plays when I try to play the selected Voice in the Multi using my DAW software?  I’m confused.  I would appreciate your help with this.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 13, 2013 @ 05:23 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Your Motif-Rack XS is in a condition where the first four PARTS of the MULTI are set to play as a “layer” - in the keyboard version of the XS this is called a PERFORMANCE… which can include multiple Parts under control of an Arpeggiator (the unit has as many as four simultaneous arps).

You can turn this function OFF (highly recommended if you want to use the Rack XS as a 16 Part unit) and then STORE this setting as Off.

Press [UTILITY]
Select “General”
Cursor down to the parameter: Layer 1-4 Parts
Set this to OFF

Press [STORE]

Now you can address each Part on the MIDI channel as you set them.

Helpful Hint:
Press [MULTI] + [ENTER] together to create an Initialized Multi

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2013 @ 10:57 AM
Richard N
Joined  05-09-2013

Thanks for the helpful tip, Bad_Mister.  I changed the setting for the Layer 1-4 Parts to “Off”, as you suggested.  However, when I go into Multi mode and play a MIDI track for Channel 1, the same repetitive percussive theme plays until I select a different Multi.  I am not able to hear the MIDI melody that I recorded on the DAW track being played on the track, either.  I turned the Motif Rack off and restarted it, just in case the new setting for the Layer 1-4 Parts needed a reboot to take effect but that did not change anything.  Do you have any thoughts or suggestions?

I tried to create an Initialized Multi, as you suggested, but pressing [Utility] + [Enter] together only opened the Utility window, just the way it opens when I press [Utility] by itself.  I tried many times and even tried variations in which I pressed either one first to see if that made a difference, but each time with the same result; only the Utility window opens.  Am I missing something here?

Thanks for your help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2013 @ 01:27 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Sorry, indeed that was a typo. It should have been [MULTI] + [ENTER]

This will create an INITIALIZED MULTI with the PRESET 1:001 Voice assigned to all PARTS, all Parts pan Center, Volumes set to 100, Reverb Send = 12, Chorus Send = 0, PART EQ = flat, etc. etc. Also importantly you will not inherit any Arpeggios!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2013 @ 03:12 PM
Richard N
Joined  05-09-2013

Thanks Bad_MIster.  That works well.  And thanks for the explanation of why the Arpeggios were still operating when I used a Multi that I had not created initialized. 

If I store the Initialized Multi so I don’t have to recreate it each time I want to use it, does it replace one of the original Multis that come installed?  Will I get to chose where it goes?

Thanks again.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Help on Multi
Next Topic:

Live sequences in Multi mode changing outputs ››