mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "PC to multi"

Posted on: May 07, 2013 @ 06:39 AM
electricfuzz
Total Posts:  4
Joined  02-22-2009

Hi I am using several midi controllers (2 keyboards and 2 Foot controllers) running through a vst host program on my laptop (Brainspawn’s Forte) which has an “Echo” function which sends the midi info onto the motif rack via USB. Been using the set up for a few years but have only scratched the surface of what is possible. With Forte, I set up scenes, which change what sounds are coming from the motif as well as which VSTi to use from the laptop and assigns which controls are sent to what. So far I have only been using single voices from the motif and have had no problems. However, I would like to take advantage of the fact that the motif can play numerous voices simultaneously. I have not messed with the multis very much but have managed to set one up with all the different sounds I would like to use for a particular song (lots of ambient sounds from several voice patches as well as a couple standard voices like piano and organ). The problem I am having however, is sending a program change to the motif that will call up one of these multi patches. I can only change to single voice patches. I can do it manually on the face of the rack but that is defeating part the purpose of having a midi controller. Is it possible to send PC messages from my controller (in this case, my laptop would be the controller via Forte)that are sometimes voices and other times multis, without having to hit buttons on the rack itself? My setup and the format we play (running most songs together without break) does not really allow for me to turn away from my keys and fumble around with a bunch of buttons at knee level. I guess if i just had to hit the multi button before making the change that would be doable but not preferred. However I can’t make this work either. I can only choose my scene in Forte and then manually (on the front panel of the motif rack) navigate to the appropriate multi patch for the song.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 07, 2013 @ 01:08 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Is it possible to send PC messages from my controller (in this case, my laptop would be the controller via Forte)that are sometimes voices and other times multis, without having to hit buttons on the rack itself?

Sorry we don’t know your controller… but if it can send BANK SELECT and PROGRAM CHANGE then the answer is yes.

The Motif-Rack will change MULTIs when you send it:

MSB = 63
LSB = 65
PC = 0-127 (for Multi 1-128)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 07, 2013 @ 03:07 PM
electricfuzz
Total Posts:  4
Joined  02-22-2009

Sweet, one step closer. My controller is a VST host program called Forte by Brainspawn. In the program change options box you can enter a Bank number in one text field and a Program number in the other. It also has a bank calculator that excepts two numbers, the MSB and LSB. So entering 63 and 65 and hitting calculate enters the number 8129 in the “Bank” number field. I set up a few scenes in Forte some using regular voices and some using multis. It still wont switch back and forth automatically but at least if I hit the multi button on the motif face panel before selecting the scene it will go to the correct multi scene. To go back to a normal voice, again have to go to the motif rack and hit the voice button before choosing a voice scene. Before, I couldn’t get it to bring any multi up without completely navigating to it via the motif’s face panel, so this is progress. Would realy like to not touch rack at all during a show. I guess I could use only multis even if I am only using one part of it, thats what I will do unless you know what I am still doing wrong. Thanks for your help

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 07, 2013 @ 06:05 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

You can select Banks and change Programs with Channel messages but if you want to change MODEs that requires a type of message called a Parameter Change.

If you are able to send a System Exclusive message from your controlling device you can send a MODE Change message.

F0 43 10 6F 0A 00 01 dd F7

Where “dd” is the Data Byte, when dd = 00 it selects Voice mode, when dd = 03 it selects Multi mode.

Hope that helps.

But of course you can address any single Voice in a MULTI - then you would not have to hassle with sending a Sysex message.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Manual supplement?
Next Topic:

PLG check ››