mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Very low volume when recording audio through USB cable in Cubase Element 6 with the MX49"

Posted on: April 22, 2013 @ 09:12 PM
Ben P
Total Posts:  26
Joined  04-20-2013

1st of all I’d like to start on a positive, note, I love my new MX49. I’ve successfully recorded my 1st track and it’s sounds incredible and professional. I believe the keyboard’s great sounds helped a lot in this case. It was not difficult to get the right sounds for the job and they all worked well together. Long story short the only thing I have not found a way to fix is this:

When recording audio through the USB cable in Cubase the result is very low in volume it would need to be more than twice as loud to be in the ideal range.

The only way I found to record audio in Cubase from the MX49 USB cable was to create an audio track and playback the track and record in real time. Then when I mute my midi tracks I hear the audio and it is very faint. I then tried maxing out the gain in the Audio track and that helped a little but not nearly enough.

The only way I can get normal sound is Normalize the track but then the quality suffers.

I did also notice I have to max the volume to even hear the sounds well on the keyboard. When listening to the keyboard through speakers I have to use a lot of volume on the amp as well.
It seems to be all related.

I have my volume maxed on every setting on the keyboard, just as a precaution. Wav, DAW, Volume of every track etc…

Any fix for this Bad Mister ? You seem to know these keyboards inside out.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 26, 2013 @ 07:18 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Learn about the things that affect your output level. Like a piano, how hard you play determines the output level. In a synth this is called velocity. Setting the Volume of a Part to 127 does not guarantee you get maximum volume, the MX is velocity sensitive or at least many of the Voices are… We’ll post an article about this subject and include an example… Please look for it soon.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 26, 2013 @ 07:54 PM
Ben P
Joined  04-20-2013

Thanks for replying Bad Mister, although I have to say I’m very familar with the concept of velocity. The output is just lower on this unit than most other synths.

However by maxing out stereo out in the cubase mixer you can achieve decent sound level without needing to much gain.

And one can also boost the volume using the Master EQ of the keyboard. I’ve added a little bit of low gain (+2db) and lower Hz bass. This seemed to improve the perceived sound quality out of the keyboard to my ears.

Loving it, for the price, can’t beat it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 27, 2013 @ 09:58 AM
Ben P
Joined  04-20-2013

Ever since I played with the master EQ...my recording is loud now as is my output. Just 1db gain on the low and lowered Hz to get a slightly deeper bass and 1db on mid.
Made a noticeable difference.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Possible to assign the function of my FC-7?
Next Topic:

Voice Libraries Shop for MX61? ››