mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Deleting single voices or performances for mox6"

Posted on: April 08, 2013 @ 08:09 AM
mstodola
Total Posts:  12
Joined  04-08-2013

Is there a way in the User banks to delete single voices or performances from the front panel or do you have to use an editor to do such thing?  And is there a way to load single voices or performances in the User banks?

It appears that from the front panel only full files can be loaded, and deleting anything is a total reset of the machine.  This does not seem very user friendly in the most basic of ways.

Also renaming a voice or program is a time consuming nightmare.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 08, 2013 @ 08:44 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Is there a way in the User banks to delete single voices or performances from the front panel or do you have to use an editor to do such thing?  And is there a way to load single voices or performances in the User banks?

Voices are never “DELETED” - a VOICE location exists - it will always contain the parameters for what is considered a VOICE. You basically will OVERWRITE the data in a location with the data you wish to keep… a VOICE is never really empty. Even if all parameters are at minimum - you still have a set of parameters called a “Voice”. You can store your meaningful arrangements of those parameters - they remain in memory until you either overwrite it or initialize the location. But even an initialized Voice is a VOICE… it is WAVEFORM 0001, with a traditional “organ” envelope… (on immediately, off when key released) - only one of the 8 oscillators is active, it is assigned Equal Temperament across the keyboard and is ready to play… that is considered an initialized voice

The Owner’s Manual is essential for these basic definitions… but quickly:

A Voice is either in a PRESET or a USER location. There are some 1024 Normal Preset and 64 Drum Preset Voices. There are some 384 Normal User and 32 Drum User Voice locations - currently they all hold “placeholder” Voices. You get to write to the USER locations.

PRESET Voices cannot be lost, destroyed or otherwise eliminated (DELETED)… you can EDIT them but if you wish to keep your edits you STORE them to USER Voice locations (Described above).

Important note: The data in the 384 USER (Normal) and 32 (DrumKit) Voice locations are all just “placeholder” Voices - the data is assembled from Voices that appear elsewhere in your PRESET banks. Please feel free to overwrite any or all of the Voices currently in your USER bank locations - they are all repeats, trust me!

There are 256 PERFORMANCES which can be made from as many as four VOICES. All PERFORMANCES are in USER Memory. Just as there are 64 SONG locations and 64 PATTERN locations… all SONG and PATTERN locations exist -whether they contain meaningful data or not… and they are all “User” Memory.

OK.

Yes, of course, you can load single Voices and single Performances, single SONGs, and even single PATTERNS… The REFERENCE MANUAL will be the booklet you want to look through for details on FILES, File Types, Loading/Saving and your available options. If you think you could gleam all from a look at the front panel, you would be mistaken… under the hood, you can load individual VOICES…

Perusing the manuals will be helpful - the REFERENCE MANUAL is a PDF. Worth the effort - it really gets into what’s not visible from the front panel.

Do not fear: If you ever want any of the PERFORMANCES (or Voices for that matter) of the original Factory set, you simply have to perform a FACTORY SET
Press [UTILITY]
Press [JOB]
Press [ENTER]
Press [ENTER]

The idea is to SAVE your customized USER memory locations (that is, UTILITY, VOICE, PERFORMANCE, SONGS, PATTERNS, MASTER, ARPEGGIOS, etc.) to an ALL data file (.X4A) which saves all of your work to a USB drive!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2013 @ 09:25 AM
mstodola
Total Posts:  12
Joined  04-08-2013

By the way, I have been reading the manuals.

But thank you for the overview of how the MoX OS is structured.  Your overview really helps.  I also own a PSR-s710.  I am able to get around on that machine fairly well. 

My programming experience is mostly on Kurzweil K2000 and Korg T-1 and Oasys machines, so I’m trying to understand the thought process for the Yamaha MOX. 

What happened is I modified a performance and stored it to a user bank.  Unfortunately I stored it in a location I did not want it in.  I did re-store it to the location I desired but I cannot get back the original locations performance.  But as you explained that really doesn’t matter because the user banks are just repeats of what is in the preset locations, so I really didn’t loose anything.

I just purchased the MOX6 so I’m still trying to figure it out.  I like the sounds and I like that it only weighs 15 pounds.  I’m sure I’ll have more questions.  Thank you.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ why no mox6 in UK stores to demo?
Next Topic:

Quick Volume Question ››