mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "another help plz, some issues"

Posted on: March 28, 2013 @ 02:07 PM
salvosound
Total Posts:  99
Joined  03-08-2013

hi all,
i’m new to this world but day by day i love my motif xf6 more and more...but i have two issue that i suppose someone can solve for me =)

first of all after creating a song using the rec function and pressing the store button i suppose to find the song into the FL1 Flash ROM that i have installed on my workstation..ok but i can’t find it.
maybe i miss something in the explanation that the supporters gave me some days ago. i remember to have been advoced that once u press store the song is saved in the flash rom, if it is present…

the other thing is that i saved the same song in .wav format pressing f4, rec and so on...in a usb flash drive..
in the lcd screen i see the song placed in the root directory of the drive.
the issues are that:
-opening the song on my pc through the flash drive, e.g. in winamp, the volume is very low compared to what i hear when i play it on the motif
-i would like to work on the song with cubase 6, that came in bundle with the workstation, but it can’t open .wav files
-when i disconnect the flash drive from pc and plug it in the motif the .wav song that i recorded before is no more listed in the root of the drive. the song exists, im sure, if i reconnect the flashdrive to pc i see it. it’s in the motif that once disconnected and reconnected the drive i can’t see the song anymore

any suggestion is appreciated..and sorry for my poor english :D

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 28, 2013 @ 02:23 PM
salvosound
Joined  03-08-2013

regard to the problem viewing the song after disconnection and reconnection i have solved, simply i had to switch to the “audio” section..
regard to the rest nothing changed, but i have to study better the matter :p

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 28, 2013 @ 04:11 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

first of all after creating a song using the rec function and pressing the store button i suppose to find the song into the FL1 Flash ROM that i have installed on my workstation..ok but i can’t find it.

Song data does not get saved to a FLASH BOARD.

Flash Boards (FL512M and FL1024M) are placed in Slots FL1 and FL2 this is for long term storage of SAMPLES and WAVEFORMS only. This is a type of rewritable Flash added to the XF as optional boards.

64 SONGs, 64 PATTERNs, 512 USER VOICES, 32 USER DRUM KITS, 512 PERFORMANCES, 128 MASTER programs, 256 MIXING VOICES, 256 USER ARPEGGIOS, UTILITY settings, all get STORED to the Motif XF’s internal memory called Flash ROM. Not to be confused with the Flash Boards which you have to purchase and which are for sample and waveform storage only… Every Motif XF comes with Flash ROM.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 29, 2013 @ 01:33 AM
salvosound
Joined  03-08-2013

Thank you very much Bad_Mister.
As regards to the low volume of the song that i hear on PC once playing the song from the flash drive have you something to suggest me?

Moreover do you know how to check my saved song listed in flash rom files?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 01, 2013 @ 11:37 AM
salvosound
Joined  03-08-2013

maybe or surely i ve not been clear enough..i mean, can i see where is located a song that i registered and saved pressing the “STORE” button?
moreover i didn’t get answer about the difference of volume that i see playng a saved song in a flash key through winamp in pc...the sound is very low..
thanks for your patience, guys

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 01, 2013 @ 12:14 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

As regards to the low volume of the song that i hear on PC once playing the song from the flash drive have you something to suggest me?

As a recording engineer I can only look at low volume one way… do a better job of policing your OUTPUT levels. This is a matter of production skills. Level is a tricky thing to master - if it were easy everyone would be a great engineer. The issue often is: what is it that is taking up the most room in your recording (level) space… those sounds that have big transient peaks - they can cause the meter to show that you have significant level when it simply does not sound that LARGE to you when listening. Transient peaks move meters but are there and gone so rapidly that they hardly make the overall continuous volume of your mix loud - we often talk about “presence” or “weight” in the mix.

It often comes down to how you mix the overall project. If you record your tracks as MIDI data first, you run the risk of fooling yourself into thinking the tracks are played with a lot of energy (velocity) when in fact, you never check to see what type of velocity values your track is generating. Low velocities automatically turn into low audio levels if the sound is VELOCITY SENSITIVE. Learn about how to influence the OUTPUT LEVEL of each VOICE that you use - so that you can maximize your individual record levels. Then pay close attention to what is the biggest influence in your mix.

Say you work with MIDI first, and you overdub a string part on a MIDI sequence - you want the strings in the back ground so you play the strings with low velocity - later when you try to transfer this to audio or do a mixdown - you cannot be surprised that the strings are not loud. Had you recorded the data initially as audio you would have set record levels then turned the channel down to the proper “monitoring” level. You would have secured the AUDIO level FIRST.

“MIDI pre-Mixing” is the cause of a lot of issues with low volume. Being aware of the MIDI and then later AUDIO volume loss, is a big step in learning about how to generate BETTER, LOUDER, yet not silly LOUD mixes!!! :-)

Are you using the MASTER EFFECTS to your advantage? The MULTI-BAND COMPRESSOR in the MASTER EFFECTs of the XF is a powerful tool in mixing a project (talk about presence and the overall ability to boost the apparent Volume without significantly changing the LEVEL - that is what proper use of a MULTI-BAND COMPRESSOR brings to the table

- But without specific details of how you are producing your music it is difficult to give you an exact reason why your project has low volume output. What I’m suggesting is the most common things I find among users of MIDI/AUDIO Sequencers, DAWs etc., etc.

The difference in Volume from when you record and when you playback is a simple matter of monitoring - you monitor the output signal direct when mixing, you listen to your mix on playback. VOLUME is subjective - it is the LEVEL (what shows on your METERS) that is all important.

Moreover do you know how to check my saved song listed in flash rom files?

Yes.
Insert the USB Drive into the XF
Press [FILE]
Set the TYPE = “SONG”
Highlight the FILE containing your SONGS
Press [ENTER]
The File will open and reveal a list of SONG TITLES - (it will if you took the time to NAME and then STORE your SONG NAME with the Song. (Very Important to do, because the number is really meaningless - it is only the location the song is currently in… you can load any SONG to any SONG location.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 01, 2013 @ 12:52 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
Bad_Mister - 01 April 2013 12:14 PM

..."MIDI pre-Mixing” is the cause of a lot of issues with low volume. Being aware of the MIDI and then later AUDIO volume loss, is a big step in learning about how to generate BETTER, LOUDER, yet not silly LOUD mixes!!! :-)....

This is an extremely important point for less experienced engineers to take note of, in my opinion.

You must fight the “intuitive” urge to record parts in a manner that correlates to your perception of their relative place in the final mix!  It does not matter if a tiny little triangle ring is going to be mixed back somewhere around the Fire Exit of the room in your Master Mix, record it like it is the lead vocal!  You mix it back later!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 03, 2013 @ 08:33 AM
salvosound
Joined  03-08-2013

Thank you guys anyway i made a song using 4 sounds together, 2 same drum kits, one organ sound and one whistel, tipically to make somewhat can be called an hiphop beat. To say....a very simple project of 30 secs duration.
I’m very noob in this matter so that i supposed the chamce to set a record level which guarantees a proper volume when playng the wav file i saved...i think too that increasing the master volume in the XF while recording and wav saving will not affect the volume of my output when played, right?

Bad_Mister, regarding how to locate my song in my XF i m now realizing that i was trying to find something impossible, because i thought that i could find the song saved in the flash rom of the motif itself (the 741mb one) but it’ s logical to think that it can’t contain anything else unless u delete some elements

Another thing that pretty interests me is working with the saved .wav file in Cubase Le Ai Elements, but i can’t find the way to import the file in the program (the command is greyed)

I stil don’t understand where in the XF get saved a song that i recorded using the “SONG” option and adding and adding again sounds. I know that after i can save it in a flash drive but i ask myself where in which sector of the XF it gets saved the first time.
Last thing i would kile to know is that i used the “PERFORM” function, i choosed a preset and, after pressing “REC” and then “PLAY” i sounded over it..After pressing STOP i see a message that tells me “completed”. I think so it saved my performing but i can’t find where.
Sorry for the long post, i hope u can have the patience to answer to these questions.
Thank you in advance guys

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 03, 2013 @ 02:31 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Where does it store your Song? In a type of internal memory called Flash ROM. This is the same memory where you store your User Voices, Performances, Master, User Arpeggios, Utility mode settings, as well as Songs/Patterns and their MIXING setups… etc.

Image Attachments
MemoryXF.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 03, 2013 @ 02:43 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Last thing i would kile to know is that i used the “PERFORM” function, i choosed a preset and, after pressing “REC” and then “PLAY” i sounded over it..After pressing STOP i see a message that tells me “completed”. I think so it saved my performing but i can’t find where. 

Here is what you need to do:

Please try

From your PERFORMANCE
Press [RECORD]
Read the screen that appears very, very carefully… It will tell you where to look!!!!

The Record Setup screen is extremely important. It allows you to direct the recording to a linear SONG or to a specific PATTERN.

If you select Song you can record a long as you like
When you select Pattern, you must tell the XF exactly how many measures you wish to record… Because PATTERNS loop when you play them back.

Image Attachments
PerfRecSetup.JPG
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 04, 2013 @ 02:05 AM
salvosound
Joined  03-08-2013

Ok thanks, i will try looking very carefully the rec screen…anyway you know where performing is saved and how to recall it to play it?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 04, 2013 @ 03:54 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Seriously?

In the screen shot above, the target is SONG 15 (yours may be different) the point is YOU get to point it to any of the 64 SONG locations. So after I record I would press the SONG button which would take me directly to SONG mode, Song # 15. Because 15 is the NUMBER I set for SEQUENCER MODE = SONG

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 04, 2013 @ 06:44 AM
salvosound
Joined  03-08-2013

Thank you very much, i will try when i will back home from office.
This workstation is wonderfull i would like to mastering it at all but it will take a lot of time :D
Luckily there are persons like u from which a lot of things can be learned

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif XF Wireless Connection
Next Topic:

Changing the Order of Things ››