mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Tips on how to join / merge n smooth out different parts of a song by using effects in Cubase"

Posted on: March 22, 2013 @ 04:19 AM
genXmusician
Total Posts:  41
Joined  03-02-2013

Hi there,

Lets say that I am recording an intro part of a song on a separate audio channel, by recording my vocals along with an arpeggio pattern [i.e. ARP 6] of a specific performance.

Then I record an instrumental part along with another arpeggio pattern [e.g. ARP 5] of that specific performance, on a separate audio channel

Then I go on to record the first stanza by going back to ARP 6 of that specific performance, and singing along with it.

and so on...until the completion of the song.

So basically, ARP 6 of that performance is my main underlying beat...but I am using different arpeggios (e.g. ARP 4, ARP 5 etc) for the parts/gaps in between the song intro/main body and its verses/stanzas.

The problem that I am facing is about joining/merging the different arpeggio beats smoothly, because when i play the overall song in Cubase, that portion sounds abrupt i.e. in the sense, ARP 6 beat stops and ARP 4 or 5 beat starts suddenly...it sounds awkward.

Are there any tips, tutorials, suggestions as to how to smooth out the sound parts by using any kind of effects in Cubase e.g. is it possible to select a certain range [i.e. the ending part of ARP 6 and the starting part of ARP 4 or 5, and then applying some effects like Whoosh, fade in, fade out etc etc...such that both the arpeggio parts smooth out and the song continues in a smooth flow rather than having abrupt breaks in between the parts.

Also, one more question...the AD Input can have 2 Insertion effects i.e. INS A and INS B, so is there a really good vocal effect that can be applied in the MOX which can make the vocals sound better in terms of the texture and vocal quality...which is the most popular effect.

Thanks for any help in this matter.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2013 @ 05:32 AM
yzf125
Total Posts:  65
Joined  12-13-2012

I dont know much about working with arps because I play all my own but it sounds to me you need a small fill to make the change from beat to beat.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2013 @ 05:15 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

There is a parameter that controls whether an arp starts at the top of the ‘next’ measure or it starts immediately. This is one thing that can affect the transitions.
Press [ARP EDIT]
Press [F3] MAIN
The parameter is “ChgTiming” (Change Timing)
Make sure this is set to “measure”, not “real time”

Now because you mention you method of recording arpeggios (I really couldnt follow it) it is possible your method of transitioning the ARP Types and/or your method of synchronizing the MOX and Cubase could be at the root of the problem.

Also, one more question...the AD Input can have 2 Insertion effects i.e. INS A and INS B, so is there a really good vocal effect that can be applied in the MOX which can make the vocals sound better in terms of the texture and vocal quality...which is the most popular effect.

Yes. Of course this is subjective, and is a production decision you have to make, but certainly artful use of a compression can add presence and warmth to vocals..

Please see the following article on setting up the vocal microphone with the VCM Compressor 376:
MOX6/MOX8 Setting up the A/D Input

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2013 @ 09:06 PM
genXmusician
Total Posts:  41
Joined  03-02-2013

There is a parameter that controls whether an arp starts at the top of the ‘next’ measure or it starts immediately. This is one thing that can affect the transitions.
Press [ARP EDIT]
Press [F3] MAIN
The parameter is “ChgTiming” (Change Timing)
Make sure this is set to “measure”, not “real time”

Thanks, I am going to try this setting.

Now because you mention you method of recording arpeggios (I really couldnt follow it) it is possible your method of transitioning the ARP Types and/or your method of synchronizing the MOX and Cubase could be at the root of the problem.

I have attached a screenshot of how I am recording in Cubase.

Ideally I would like my MOX to have the main/master control so that I can trigger the arpeggios on and off according to the MOX. Setting Cubase as master clock in terms of sync seems something that I am not comfortable with in terms of recording and triggering arpeggios

There are 5 audio channels. I have recorded the main body/intro of the song on audio channel 1 (my vocals) and audio channel 3 (i.e. ARP 6 of a specific performance).

Then I have only recorded an instrumental (e.g. a solo violin tune, along with ARP 5 of that specific performance) on audio channel 4, and this is the instrumental gap filler in between the intro/main body and stanza/verse.

Then I have recorded the 1st stanza of the song on Audio 1 (my vocals) and audio channel 5 (i.e. ARP 6 of that specific performance).

So basically I am recording my vocals on Audio channel 1, and recording the remaining parts of the songs on different audio channels.

The way I have recorded it in Cubase. There is an overlapping and the Arpeggios are not synced, so I thought of adding some loud effect e.g. like Whoosh effect that would merge both the arpeggios without an abrupt overlapping and awkward start stop.

Please see the following article on setting up the vocal microphone with the VCM Compressor 376:
MOX6/MOX8 Setting up the A/D Input

Thanks for this link.

I should have mentioned in my first post that I am already using the VCM Compressor 376 as INS A effect...my bad.

Therefore I should have rather asked if there is another popular vocal effect that I could apply to INS B.

In the screenshot attached, once I record my vocals (along with VCM Compressor 376 setting) and turn the level of audio channel 1 (i.e. my vocals) to full in the Mixer, it actually gives a decent vocal output signal in terms of loudness.

However, sometimes when I am recording, I can see a red tab...i am afraid that it may be something to do with clipping.

Also, I am able to apply the VCM Compressor 376 settings to songs, patterns, voice.

But I am not able to change the AD Switch to On, I have also unticked one of the parts, because only a max of 3 parts are allowed at one given time. But still after unticking one of them, I cannot change the AD Switch in performance mode to On. However, I was able to apply the VCM Compressor 376 settings in the INS A of the performance parameters.

Image Attachments
Cubase rec2.jpg
Cubase rec1.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Question For Dave Polich.......
Next Topic:

Control modulation using foot controller ››