mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Piano samples have auto sustain in upper range!!!"

Posted on: February 21, 2013 @ 10:53 PM
Jazzplaya777
Total Posts:  55
Joined  01-20-2008

I was playing my Xf8 with the s700 sample and suddenly realized between g5 up to c7 the notes have more sustain or release compared to the other notes. It’s very annoying when playing high notes and even more with reverb on.  I checked and all acoustic piano samples (s6, full concert) and others do it as well. How can I fix this and who else has noticed this???

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2013 @ 11:06 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  1970
Joined  10-05-2011

That is the way acoustic pianos are made!  Those high notes on a piano have no dampers against the strings, so they have full time sustain.  This allows the notes, which are inherently quieter than the “bigger sounding” pitches, to compete in presence and to provide sympathetic vibrations as part of the overall piano tone.  Think of them as “ringtones” that have nothing at all to do with your cell phone!

Your quarrel is really with the acoustic piano design that your synthesizer faithfully emulates.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2013 @ 11:32 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36648
Joined  07-30-2002

Next time you sit at an acoustic grand piano, you have something to checkout. Undampered strings on a piano… Yes they have always been like that… On this you will need to trust Yamaha… Piano manufacturer for over 113 of the 125 years!

:-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2013 @ 04:14 PM
Jazzplaya777
Joined  01-20-2008

ok I hear you guys, its just I would like to have the whole keybed sound the same. With a mono amp, that sound just doesn’t come through good in a live setting. Ill have to post a video of this.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2013 @ 07:49 PM
moxrox
Total Posts:  353
Joined  11-27-2011

ok I hear you guys, its just I would like to have the whole keybed sound the same. With a mono amp, that sound just doesn’t come through good in a live setting. Ill have to post a video of this.

You can do this, just realize that you can either make the whole keyboard sound the same, or you can make it sound like a piano.  If you want it to sound the same, and don’t mind losing the characteristics that make a piano sound the way it does, you can edit the piano voice you want to make sound more consistent.  Remove the elements associated with the high and the low key ranges, then modify the middle range to span the entire keyboard, and finally save it as a user voice.  Similarly, you can also edit the waveforms so the samples at the high end and low end aren’t used, then modifying the middle range to span the entire keyboard.  Just don’t expect it to sound like a piano, especially at the high and low ends.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2013 @ 04:03 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Please don’t. If you are playing your Motif XF through a mono amp, we highly recommend that you use the Monaural version of the piano.

Your loss of highs ( and lows) is due to a phenomena called cancellation. When you sum a stereo signal to mono, you get undefined high frequencies , and washed out low frequencies - this is acoustic science, and has little to do with how a piano is made. And is certainly not something you can easily edit away!

You are losing your high frequencies because you are summing a stereo signal to mono, stop doing that!

Either use a single cable (from the L/MONO output on the back panel) or use the piano located at PRESET 1:016(A16) Monaural Grand

We also highly recommend you invest in a stereo rig for your Motif XF, it is a life altering experience, Stereo. Trust me on this.

Check the following options: Yamaha StagePas400 or StagePas600i ... Both are brand new!

Affordable, portable, high fidelity and they have stereo channels for keyboards, plenty of power to spare, and sound way, way better than any keyboard amp. (I know that is a subjective statement, but I’ll stand by it)? They have more clean, high fidelity sound and power than the most beefy of keyboard amps, and they are easier to carry, too!

Next time you’re in your local Yamaha dealer ask to hear a Motif XF through a StagePas600i… Connect it in stereo to one of the Stereo Channels… And give it a listen, compared to your current system… It will be worth the trip. Promise.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 26, 2013 @ 07:34 AM
Maddogz4
Total Posts:  17
Joined  02-21-2013

I just recently purchased a new Motif XF8 and I have the Yamaha StagePas500. Alot of my sounds on the StagePas sounded great, especially the bass, strings and drums but for some reason my piano sounds just sounded ok no matter how much I tweaked the equalizer settings. I have read so many reviews on how great the StagePas sounds with keyboards but I just was not happy with my piano sounds for some reason. I have read that the 600i new StagePas is a big improvement on sound, I was considering buying it. I went down to Guitar Center and looked at the Roland KC-350 keyboard amp and was really impressed with it so I bought two of them to have stereo and I am very pleased with how they sound. My pianos now sound really full and rich along with all the other sounds sounding awesome. I still really like my StagePas500 but I am happier with my Roland amps, maybe its just a personnel preference. I am still not sure why my piano sounds did not sound full and rich on my StagePas.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 26, 2013 @ 01:16 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Did you plug into the stereo channel? or did you just use channels 1 and 2?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 26, 2013 @ 02:54 PM
Maddogz4
Total Posts:  17
Joined  02-21-2013

I was plugged into stereo and was using good quality cables. I don’t know if its because I was using the Stagepas in a small room where the sound may of been better if the Speakers were further away from my keyboard. I have a Yamaha P155 digital piano that I also ran through the StagePas and I thought the P155 sounded better on the speakers on the keyboard itself, strange. My P155 was about 10 feet from the speakers.  Like I said strings, bass and drums sound great on the Stagepas but just can’t seem to get my piano sounds to sound really good for some reason. So far though I am pleased with the Roland Kc-350 amp though, I am sure using two of these really helps!  I wonder how much better the newer Stagepas is than the older models.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 26, 2013 @ 03:42 PM
Jazzplaya777
Joined  01-20-2008

Yep sure enough my “real” piano a 5-4 grand does resonate in the high range. I’ll leave my motif sounds alone.
I have a Roland kc350 I use in mono through the head phone jack. Yes stereo with one of them cancels out the sound. Two are needed for true stereo. The rolands sure sound great!

[ Ignore ]