mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "General Voice Information"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: February 12, 2013 @ 09:28 PM
JDH
Total Posts:  12
Joined  01-29-2013

Hi,

Is there a place where I can get information on the different kinds of voices and what their speciality is?

I know that some voices are suffixed with AF1 and/or AF2 which denotes a special assignable function(s) using the AF Keys.

However, yesterday I was playing a guitar voice (Nylon Slide Vel) and to my surprise heard the sliding effect which I then inferred to be a Velocity effect.

I wanted to know if there was a place all these kinds of effects are documented so I could have a read through and see exactly what each effect does and how it is triggered.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2013 @ 12:37 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

No, there is no real Voice by Voice documentation of each of the more than 1100 Voices… Other than the Name and the data itself. Part of your job as musician/owner of the instrument is to explore the Voices one by one. You will discover, and continue to discover these little gems again, and again.

“Nylon Slide Vel” is a rather strange name until you realize it is telling exactly what is happening in the Voice.
Explore this Voice. Learn how each Element contributes its particular bit to the whole.

You will find Voices where velocity causes a Harmonic, and again the hint might be in the name.

Learn to explore the Voices and read and learn about how each Element is programmed to behave.
On the Guitars and Basses, look for instrument related sound effects above and/or below the natural range of the instrument.

Learn to read and interpret the CONTROL SET screen which will tell you all about what the physical controllers will do when engaged.
Press [EDIT]
Press [COMMON EDIT]
Press [F4] CONTROL SET

Learn to interpret the ELEMENT screens, using the MUTE and SOLO functions to listen to each Elements contribution
Press [EDIT]
Press a numbered button [1]-[8] to view that Element parameters.
Study the Velocity Limits so you can understand how different Elements may only sound at certain velocities, etc.

Take your time.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2013 @ 07:31 AM
JDH
Joined  01-29-2013

Ok no worries.

Thanks for the info!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2013 @ 11:48 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

I like your suggestion though. Perhaps that might make an interesting series of articles - because once you start to explore Voices you start to find more things. The programmer’s are quite clever. Can’t promise it will cover all of the Voices but once it gets rolling maybe others will pitch in and talk about some thing unique that they’ve discovered, as well.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2013 @ 06:07 PM
JDH
Joined  01-29-2013

I’m glad you like it because I was actually going to start creating a simple list up for myself and keep updating it as I found new “gems” :).

Let me know once it gets going as it will be interesting to how creative people get with it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2013 @ 06:17 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Here you go…

Tweak of the Week: Vintage’74

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2013 @ 07:46 PM
JDH
Joined  01-29-2013

Wow that’s amazing! Thanks for that.

Looking forward to more!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2013 @ 11:39 PM
Andy M
Total Posts:  75
Joined  10-16-2012

Thanks BM

Useful info there

And thanks JDH for starting this thread.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2013 @ 03:34 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Here’s another Voice exploration

SUPPORT > MOX > ARTICLES

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2013 @ 08:24 PM
keramox
Total Posts:  55
Joined  11-17-2012

Thanks very much Bad Mister!Useful and very well written!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2013 @ 05:23 PM
Jaap
Total Posts:  62
Joined  07-20-2007

Thanks a lot Mr. Bad Mister, also for the information about the Vintage ‘74. Very interesting, useful and welcome!

Bye,
Jaap.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2013 @ 07:57 PM
JDH
Joined  01-29-2013

Wow, there really is a lot more to this synth than meets the eye! It’s gonna take me forever to understand to some of the complex functions but the journey there sure is fun :).

I’m on a quest at the moment to see how close I can get to emulating the bowing of a violin or a cello. I love stringed instruments and it would be amazing to be able to produce that ‘bowed’ effect like holding down the same note but having it sound multiple times. Just like a violinist/cellist would.

I’m sure I can play around with some of the tweaks mentioned in that Bluesy Clean Legato article but might take some time to fully understand and play with it properly!

Has anyone here tried anything similar before?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 22, 2013 @ 06:27 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Ok, we’ll explore the string Voices next… Stay tuned.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2013 @ 05:32 AM
JDH
Joined  01-29-2013

Bump! Haven’t forgotten about this I hope :).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2013 @ 12:25 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

No, I haven’t forgotten - just busy, busy, busy. I’ve finished one for the Motif XF - the information is good - of course, the screen shots and some of the button pushes are different.

If you are impatient you can read through it, the basic information is the same for the MOX as it is for the XF in this case. I hope to get the MOX version (with screen shots) done soon. But in the meantime…

Here is a link to the first in a series for string sounds, Tweak of the Week: Strings (the Solo Violin)

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/tweak_of_the_week_strings

Enjoy. If you run into something you cannot figure out because of the layout of the functions, let me know, I can translate it for the MOX.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2013 @ 12:26 PM
anotherscott
Total Posts:  653
Joined  06-30-2010
Bad_Mister - 13 February 2013 12:37 AM

No, there is no real Voice by Voice documentation of each of the more than 1100 Voices… Other than the Name and the data itself. Part of your job as musician/owner of the instrument is to explore the Voices one by one. You will discover, and continue to discover these little gems again, and again.

Learn to explore the Voices and read and learn about how each Element is programmed to behave.
On the Guitars and Basses, look for instrument related sound effects above and/or below the natural range of the instrument.

Learn to read and interpret the CONTROL SET screen which will tell you all about what the physical controllers will do when engaged.

I think it would be great to have a Voice List that included columns for what was assigned to AF1, AF2, mod wheel (when not vibrato), velocity (when it is a distinctly different effect), alternate effects assigned above or below the natural instrument range. It might help someone quickly locate a sound they’re looking for, or point out to them that there’s more to a sound than they realized when they first played it and didn’t check every possible permutation (play over the entire keyboard range, strike high velocity, etc.) The idea of each owner having to step through 1100 voices to discover what they do with each playing variation, and somehow keeping track of these things for himself seems a little impractical (as well as, in a sense, redundant). That may be fine for some people, who are immersing themselves in the instrument, but a more casual user could still really benefit from this info. I think this thread is a great start. I don’t think it should be the job of every user to explore every facet of the board to discover these things, like it’s an adventure game, or to leave it to serendipity. Heck, then why give them a voice list at all? ;-)

There does seem to be a bit of irony in saying “there is no real Voice by Voice documentation of each of the more than 1100 Voices” which reads like that would be an overwhelming thing for Yamaha to supply, essentially followed by the suggestion that each user should instead slowly step through and explore each of the 1100 voices himself!

But since Yamaha isn’t supplying this, it might be kind of nice for us to “crowd source” this info ourselves.  Like maybe a bunch of us could agree to chart out some particular range of Voices for the specified parameters.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Knocking noise made by some keys
Next Topic:

Mox8 sustain pedal help ››