mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Load One Voice From USB Stick"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: February 05, 2013 @ 12:06 PM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012

Hi guys!

Even when I follow the Reference Manual, I seem to have trouble!

What I want to do is load just (1) Voice from Organimation and here’s what I do:

1) Go to FILE
2) Highlight Organimation XS.XOA
3) Press Enter

At this point I see names like Everlasting Glory, Chordz, etc,. but no Organ Sounds.

I also have the TYPE set to voice, and I have the Destination as USR 4: 102 (which is where I want to put a Organimation Voice once I find it.

What am I doing wrong?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 05, 2013 @ 12:30 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
jerrydpi - 05 February 2013 12:06 PM

[...]What am I doing wrong?

Press the button for the Bank that the Voice you want to load is in. ( [USER 1] ~ [USER 4] )

See the XF Reference Manual, page 243, right-hand column, 5, the part that is not in bold print.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 05, 2013 @ 07:47 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

But when I highlight Organimation and press enter, it shows no Organ sounds/names.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 05, 2013 @ 08:22 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jerrydpi - 05 February 2013 07:47 PM

But when I highlight Organimation and press enter, it shows no Organ sounds/names.

Then apparently the Voices you want aren’t in the USER 1 bank, which is what’s first displayed when you press [ENTER].

After pressing [ENTER], try pressing USER 2, etc., until you find what you’re looking for.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 05, 2013 @ 10:18 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

From the Organimation Manual, Page 2 under LOADING:

To load Organimation XS in its entirety, connect your Motif XS to either a USB storage device or a networked computer containing the file “Organimation XS.X0A.” Select this file and load as an “all” type file. Organimation XS voices will be found in the entire USER 2 voice bank. Performances will occupy the first 41 memory locations in the USER 1 performance bank. Master Mode organs will occupy the first four Master locations.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2013 @ 01:08 AM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Does that mean I can’t initially load just one Voice from Organimation to User (1)?

Precisely, I must first load as “All”?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2013 @ 02:25 AM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
jerrydpi - 06 February 2013 01:08 AM

Does that mean I can’t initially load just one Voice from Organimation to User (1)?

No, that is not what it means.  It means that all of the Organimation VOICES live in VOICE USER BANK 2 on the ALL file supplied to you.  Therefore, you must navigate to that BANK to find the VOICE you want to LOAD from the Organimation ALL file.

Navigate to the Organimation ALL file on your USB drive.  Highlight it, then press the Enter button.  Now press the USER 2 button (This takes you to VOICE BANK 2 on the ALL file!), and find the VOICE you want, and LOAD it to whatever USER VOICE location you desire (Down below, in the Destination field).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2013 @ 02:37 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jerrydpi - 06 February 2013 01:08 AM

No, it doesn’t mean that at all. You seem to be confusing the source location with the destination.

As cmayhle noted, the organ Voices are in the USER 2 Bank of the Organimation file. You told us in your first post of this thread that you are able to see the Voices in Bank 1 of Organimation. Then press the USER 2 button, which should enable you to see the organ Voices, select the one you want, and load it to whatever User Voice destination you want.

EDIT: cmayhle posted while I was trying to clarify this.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2013 @ 03:42 AM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

My OP said I saw names, but none of them were “Organ” names.

Here’s what I’m doing EXACTLY:
1) Pressing the FILE button.
2) Scrolling down to Organimation.
3) Noting that the Type is all.
4) Press ENTER

AND nothing changes/happens.

Pressing the USER 2 Button on the right of the keyboard does nothing, doesn’t light up, nothing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2013 @ 03:51 AM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
jerrydpi - 06 February 2013 03:42 AM

My OP said I saw names, but none of them were “Organ” names.

Here’s what I’m doing EXACTLY:
3) Noting that the Type is all.
4) Press ENTER

AND nothing changes/happens.

Pressing the USER 2 Button on the right of the keyboard does nothing, doesn’t light up, nothing.

If you want to SEE and LOAD a VOICE, you must have the file TYPE set to VOICE!

You had this correct in your original post:

“I also have the TYPE set to voice....”

Try this:

3) Noting that the Type is VOICE.
4) Press ENTER

Now press the USER 2 button!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2013 @ 04:22 AM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

That did it!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2013 @ 10:17 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Thanks cmayhle.

I need a vacation. :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2013 @ 11:11 AM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Total Posts:  728
Joined  09-20-2011

I know that feeling.
Getting one extra hour in the morning is like the vacation for me! :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2013 @ 12:53 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

That did it!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

You seem to be having issues with some of the fundamental routines. So you don’t wear out everyone trying to help you… Let’s add this to the list of things you now understand!

When you set the Type = “all” try to understand this as meaning you are going to be loading ALL the data from that File into your XF… It will replace all User settings with what is saved in that File.

You state as your title “Load One Voice From USB Stick”, setting the Type = “voice” will allow you to select a single Voice from the 512 User Voices and 32 User drum Voices in that file. Always look to the lighted buttons for an indication of your options.

I make our engineers laugh (cry) when I tell them people don’t even see the lights… It makes them pain because every lighted button is an added expense and is supposed to make operations easier. I think once you “know” to look for them, it becomes second nature.
:-)

So when you set Type to “voice” and you press ENTER, the USER1 button lights to indicate you are viewing a list of the contents of that bank. Press USER2, USER3, USER4, USER DR to see the individual Voices listed.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2013 @ 11:26 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

cmayhle, 5PinDIN, and Bad_Mister,

THANKS to all of you for helping me!!!

It’s obvious that ALL of you have been working with the MOTIF line for at least 10 years (or more), so you probably know how it works fairly well.

It goes without saying that I’m wet behind the ears, as I have not had the MOTIF long enough (2 months) to get around it very well, and I’m sure all of you would be the first to say that for a beginner, the MOTIF does not exactly operate in a “Logical” way”.

That being said, after one “Learns the Yamaha Way”, it is perfectly logical in how it operates!

I’m not trying to say Korg or Roland keyboards are better (they’re not), just that I was able to get around on their keyboards a LOT easier (and not knowing what I was doing!) than the MOTIF.

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m just a songwriter who wants to spend more time writing original songs than worrying about technical things (technical things sometimes get in the way of creativity, at least for me).

So I’m sure my struggling with the MOTIF is my impatience (and laziness!). I just want to get the song from my brain to my fingers as fast as possible.  I just haven’t used the MOTIF enough to do all the things you guys do as second nature, and I’m sure once I learn/use it more, the “technical” things won’t get in the way at all and I won’t even think about what I have to do!

As far as it taking so long for me to load just one sound from Organimation (and bugging you guys to death), I’m telling all of you that for whatever reason it was, the light above the USER 1 Bank was not lit until the last time I tried it by doing exactly what cmayhle told me to do.

If you’d like, I’ll be glad to go back and document the different ways I tried to load just one Voice.

It won’t take much time to find out what I was doing each time (except that last time that worked perfectly), that wasn’t allowing any Bank light to come on.

Regardless, I LOVE all my buddy’s and TRULY appreciate the way you’re putting up with me and trying to help me.

So thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

PS

Phil, when I’m sitting on a toilet and have a choice between reading a Sweetwater Catalog in printed form or on my iPad, guess which one I will choose?

My point?

I know it’s a cost thing, but I think if consumers could have a printed copy of the various Manuals (like the good old days, and no, I’m not going to print the Referece Manual from a printer, one page (and one side only) at a time), it would be easier to read and use.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 07, 2013 @ 11:16 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jerrydpi - 06 February 2013 11:26 PM

cmayhle, 5PinDIN, and Bad_Mister,

THANKS to all of you for helping me!!!

It’s obvious that ALL of you have been working with the MOTIF line for at least 10 years (or more), so you probably know how it works fairly well.

I’m sure that’s true for Bad_Mister, but although I’ve worked with synths predating MIDI, and I’ve owned Yamaha gear for a long time, I got my XS6 less than three years ago (and the XF6 was of course a more recent purchase).

jerrydpi -

It goes without saying that I’m wet behind the ears, as I have not had the MOTIF long enough (2 months) to get around it very well, and I’m sure all of you would be the first to say that for a beginner, the MOTIF does not exactly operate in a “Logical” way”.

That being said, after one “Learns the Yamaha Way”, it is perfectly logical in how it operates!

I’m not trying to say Korg or Roland keyboards are better (they’re not), just that I was able to get around on their keyboards a LOT easier (and not knowing what I was doing!) than the MOTIF.

I’d agree that in certain respects Motif operation isn’t the most intuitive. However,…

jerrydpi -

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m just a songwriter who wants to spend more time writing original songs than worrying about technical things (technical things sometimes get in the way of creativity, at least for me).

So I’m sure my struggling with the MOTIF is my impatience (and laziness!). I just want to get the song from my brain to my fingers as fast as possible.  I just haven’t used the MOTIF enough to do all the things you guys do as second nature, and I’m sure once I learn/use it more, the “technical” things won’t get in the way at all and I won’t even think about what I have to do!

...if you want to master the Motif, you have to be willing to put the time in. I get it that you want things to work as you expect them to, but a little initial effort will save a lot of time later. Patience tends to be rewarded - I certainly didn’t find Motif operation obvious at first, so I put my dues in to learn what I know (which still isn’t
everything ;-)  ).

jerrydpi -

As far as it taking so long for me to load just one sound from Organimation (and bugging you guys to death), I’m telling all of you that for whatever reason it was, the light above the USER 1 Bank was not lit until the last time I tried it by doing exactly what cmayhle told me to do.

If you’d like, I’ll be glad to go back and document the different ways I tried to load just one Voice.

It won’t take much time to find out what I was doing each time (except that last time that worked perfectly), that wasn’t allowing any Bank light to come on.

I believe that you didn’t notice the USER 1 button was lit, but I can guarantee that if you did exactly what your first post says ( now don’t edit it :-)  ), it was lit.

jerrydpi -

Regardless, I LOVE all my buddy’s and TRULY appreciate the way you’re putting up with me and trying to help me.

So thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

You’re welcome - we “LOVE” you too, although sometimes you’ll get a bit of what might seem to be “tough love” - please don’t take it the wrong way. The reason I often refer forum members to the manual is because in the long run it’s better to teach you to fish than to give you a fish. :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Autoload won’t work after a factory reset
Next Topic:

MIDI doesn’t appear at start ››