mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "New Motif XF, new mixed feelings"

Posted on: February 03, 2013 @ 05:53 AM
gesperon
Total Posts:  6
Joined  02-01-2013

Hi Guys,

First I want to thank all for this great forum, I have found a lot of nice info in here… Thanks.

I bought a Motif XF8 two days ago for a price I couldn’t say no, also discovered it has an awesome feature, you can attach an iPad with cover on top without any fear of falling off… worth every penny, it should have been advertised LOL

On a more serious note, I love the guitar sounds, and the keybed is one of the best I’ve tried. But the more I play it, the more I think the price I got it for is not a great anymore. First it became fair, and now I looks overpriced to me. I am a little pissed off, but I’ll try to be as objective as I can. The reason of being pissed off is I haven’t found a single sound that “click” with me, it is so frustrating. This is my first motif keyboard and I can’t help it to feel disappointed.

All voices sound “noisy” to me, like they lack the level of clarity I would expect from a top of the line keyboard. When I say clarity, I am talking about Pink Floyd recording level of clarity for example. I don’t want to start a VS debate, but I have heard the same level of quality from other keyboards (Kronos and PC3K).

I am using an AKG Q701, first I thought maybe it needed an amp since the q701 is 62 ohms, which honestly shouldn’t be a problem since a lot of monitor headphones are >= 100 ohms. The amp helped a little bit but not much really, it still lacks to my ears.

I am secretly hoping I’ve got a defective unit. Other than that, is this the characteristic motif sound? Something I am doing wrong? I wouldn’t like to return the keyboard, not only is heavy but I would have to spend a little more to get any other setup I like. The problem is I am having a really tough time creating anything on it.

Suggestions?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2013 @ 08:47 AM
digitalperformer7
Total Posts:  253
Joined  12-07-2011

Hi gesperon

First of all I’m sorry you don’t like the overall sound of Motif XF. In fact, this should be the first and foremost feature a musician/composer/player and, last but not least, programmer must take into consideration.
Primary aspect of a workstation is its sound, then come other features and its user interface. We choose one of another, nine times out of ten listening to its presets, after having read out its PDF operating manual and one or two brief trials.
After these we buy it.. but we’re at the very beginning.
Motif XF and Motif series in genre are not for the faint of heart, it’s user interface is quite clumsy and users’ manuals help very little.
But there are several arrows at your bow:
- motifator forum
- third party DVDs and books
- your patience :-)
Motif XF is so vast that you have to consider nobody’s master in a day.
When I bougth my XF7 last year I started studying articles found on this support section and realized that without this additional material I’d use my Motif XF just a 10%.
All this said if you intend keeping your Motif XF.
If you prefer another user interface and another sound, I can’t hold you back from changing your instrument.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2013 @ 11:39 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
gesperon - 03 February 2013 05:53 AM

[...] The reason of being pissed off is I haven’t found a single sound that “click” with me, it is so frustrating. This is my first motif keyboard and I can’t help it to feel disappointed.

All voices sound “noisy” to me, like they lack the level of clarity I would expect from a top of the line keyboard.[...]

Welcome to the forum.

Some people like the sound of a Motif, some don’t. That’s a personal choice that only you can make. However,…

gesperon -

[...]I am using an AKG Q701, first I thought maybe it needed an amp since the q701 is 62 ohms, which honestly shouldn’t be a problem since a lot of monitor headphones are >= 100 ohms. The amp helped a little bit but not much really, it still lacks to my ears.[...]

...if you’re judging the sound by listening only with a particular pair of headphones, you might not be giving the Motif a fair chance. I’d suggest you try other headphones (or better yet, a good pair of properly set up monitor speakers) before you make a final decision. If the Motif still doesn’t “click”, then you probably should consider getting something else.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2013 @ 11:42 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

I did a quick search online, and found that some reviewers think that the AKG Q701 headphones have a harsh upper-midrange. That might contribute to the perception of Voices sounding “noisy”, and it reinforces my suggestion that you listen to the Motif on something else before making a final decision.

It’s also possible that there have been some settings made on your unit that are negatively affecting the sound. Have you tried doing a factory reset?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2013 @ 12:27 PM
pokerface
Total Posts:  48
Joined  03-26-2012

Hi gesperon :-)
Since I bought my motif I love its sound. When I bought it I said to my mates this machine sounds “noble”.
I can’t comprehend what you’re saying.

.......for a price I couldn’t say no................................................
All voices sound “noisy” to me, like they lack the level of clarity I would expect from a top of the line keyboard.........
I am secretly hoping I’ve got a defective unit.................

You say “ALL” voices......
I think............it’s possible there’s a correlation.
Cheap price - defect machine?
It’s not excluded that the pre-owner made something wrong what did damage the output-amplifier.

I am using an AKG Q701, first I thought maybe it needed an amp since the q701 is 62 ohms, which honestly shouldn’t be a problem since a lot of monitor headphones are >= 100 ohms. The amp helped a little bit but not much really, it still lacks to my ears.

Normally I use studio-speaker (KRK Rokit 6) and I appriciate this sound.
About using headphones: First I tried a Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohm. It’s a highpriced-headphone I was disappointed. Had to turn the volume buttom almost to the maximum. And the sound was bad, almost no low frequencies, a thin sound.
I changed to Sennheizer HD 25-CII 70 Ohm. And I love it.
Both are not cheap. But they sound quite different.

My suggestion: If possible, try another unit in a musicstore.
So you can check out if it’s a technical problem of your unit.

Pokerface

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2013 @ 01:24 PM
gesperon
Joined  02-01-2013
5pinDIN - 03 February 2013 11:42 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Some people like the sound of a Motif, some don’t. That’s a personal choice that only you can make. However,…

...if you’re judging the sound by listening only with a particular pair of headphones, you might not be giving the Motif a fair chance. I’d suggest you try other headphones (or better yet, a good pair of properly set up monitor speakers) before you make a final decision. If the Motif still doesn’t “click”, then you probably should consider getting something else.

I did a quick search online, and found that some reviewers think that the AKG Q701 headphones have a harsh upper-midrange. That might contribute to the perception of Voices sounding “noisy”, and it reinforces my suggestion that you listen to the Motif on something else before making a final decision.

I also have the AD700, they are accurate but not as much detailed as the Q701. The problem I have with the studio monitors is I don’t have a room for them right now :( and while great for mixing they tend to hide details on the sound (not quite as critical - for the price - as headphones). I also tried the same phones with other keyboards and sounded great… but I am still willing to try your suggestion, borrow some friend’s headphones and check it out… lets hope :)

Thank you 5pinDIN

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2013 @ 01:54 PM
gesperon
Joined  02-01-2013
pokerface - 03 February 2013 12:27 PM

Hi gesperon :-)
Since I bought my motif I love its sound. When I bought it I said to my mates this machine sounds “noble”.
I can’t comprehend what you’re saying.

.......for a price I couldn’t say no................................................
All voices sound “noisy” to me, like they lack the level of clarity I would expect from a top of the line keyboard.........
I am secretly hoping I’ve got a defective unit.................

You say “ALL” voices......
I think............it’s possible there’s a correlation.
Cheap price - defect machine?
It’s not excluded that the pre-owner made something wrong what did damage the output-amplifier.

It was brand new, sealed box and everything.... Not all voices, the guitars for example are really beautiful. The pianos are acceptable, but everything else lacks clarity to my ears.

Normally I use studio-speaker (KRK Rokit 6) and I appriciate this sound.
About using headphones: First I tried a Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohm. It’s a highpriced-headphone I was disappointed. Had to turn the volume buttom almost to the maximum. And the sound was bad, almost no low frequencies, a thin sound.
I changed to Sennheizer HD 25-CII 70 Ohm. And I love it.
Both are not cheap. But they sound quite different.

My suggestion: If possible, try another unit in a musicstore.
So you can check out if it’s a technical problem of your unit.

Pokerface

I think that is exactly what I am going to do, walk into a store with a bunch of different headphones and see. For what I’ve read about DT770 and the Sennheizer HD25, the Q701 reassemble more the characteristics of the DT770. They have a large soundstage, sound separation, pretty flat, very critical and accurate, which concerns me. If I get a pair of phones that colors the sound and hides details, I won’t be hearing what I am actually playing, and if what I am hearing on the q701 is accurate..... ohh man, let’s just leave it at that LOL

I wish I had a room for studio monitors, even tho I still prefer to analyze the sound with phones. Maybe it is just a defective unit and I find one on a showroom sounding great, let’s see how it goes.... Thank you for replaying pokerface

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2013 @ 02:02 PM
gesperon
Joined  02-01-2013
digitalperformer7 - 03 February 2013 08:47 AM

Hi gesperon

First of all I’m sorry you don’t like the overall sound of Motif XF. In fact, this should be the first and foremost feature a musician/composer/player and, last but not least, programmer must take into consideration.
Primary aspect of a workstation is its sound, then come other features and its user interface. We choose one of another, nine times out of ten listening to its presets, after having read out its PDF operating manual and one or two brief trials.

Hi digitalperformer7,

Don’t be sorry, leave that to me.. LOL..... That’s exactly the reason of the post, the sound. I don’t care that much about UIs, it just a matter of learning it’s ways, nothing more. But sound is the reason this piece of technology exist in first place.

After these we buy it.. but we’re at the very beginning.
Motif XF and Motif series in genre are not for the faint of heart, it’s user interface is quite clumsy and users’ manuals help very little.
But there are several arrows at your bow:
- motifator forum
- third party DVDs and books
- your patience :-)
Motif XF is so vast that you have to consider nobody’s master in a day.
When I bougth my XF7 last year I started studying articles found on this support section and realized that without this additional material I’d use my Motif XF just a 10%.
All this said if you intend keeping your Motif XF.
If you prefer another user interface and another sound, I can’t hold you back from changing your instrument.

I agree, synths are great machines with practically endless possibilities and a world to learn.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 04, 2013 @ 12:06 AM
gesperon
Joined  02-01-2013

Good news guys.. It was a defective unit. Went into an store and it was day and night… Thanks for your responses.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 04, 2013 @ 12:05 PM
digitalperformer7
Total Posts:  253
Joined  12-07-2011
gesperon - 04 February 2013 12:06 AM

Good news guys.. It was a defective unit. Went into an store and it was day and night… Thanks for your responses.

Now I see a smile back in your face :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 04, 2013 @ 02:43 PM
bunj
Total Posts:  4
Joined  01-31-2013

Confirms the point that I discovered since owning a Motif XF :-
you are never on your own with a Motif!

Well done digitalperformer7, 5pindin, pokerface!

And welcome gesperon to the Motif ‘family’

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 05, 2013 @ 06:39 AM
Mike-pol
Total Posts:  81
Joined  02-25-2012

To gesperon:
Hello
I have read about your problems with XF sound quality and I think I have
the same problem with my instrument. What was the defect in yours when you
took it back for repair/exchange? Unfortunately I have no other unit to
compare, and my dealer claims everything is fine with unit, but to my ears
it is not. So I just wondered what was the issue with your XF and how it
was
solved. Thanks for help in advance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2013 @ 05:06 AM
gesperon
Joined  02-01-2013
Mike-pol - 05 February 2013 06:39 AM

To gesperon:
Hello
I have read about your problems with XF sound quality and I think I have
the same problem with my instrument. What was the defect in yours when you
took it back for repair/exchange? Unfortunately I have no other unit to
compare, and my dealer claims everything is fine with unit, but to my ears
it is not. So I just wondered what was the issue with your XF and how it
was
solved. Thanks for help in advance.

Hi Mike-pol,

Sorry to hear that Mike, I know how it feels.

I don’t know what the issue was but I suspect it is amp related. I just took it back to the dealer but it is really hard to argue if you don’t have any reference. 

I don’t have the keyboard anymore, waiting for another one, but you can ask in the forum for sample on mp3 (320), record the same thing and show it to the dealer.

In my case the FX and the trumpets displayed the symptoms better than anything else.

Good luck! and let us know,

Gabor

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ How to turn a Performance into MIXING program?
Next Topic:

Portamento ››