mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XF:  Recording Performance and Arpeggios to Cubase 7"

Posted on: January 13, 2013 @ 05:34 AM
1963wildbill
Total Posts:  7
Joined  12-29-2012

I am so FRUSTRATED.

Today I got my brand new Yamaha Motif XF6.  I also bought Cubase 7 about a month ago (since I was told how great it would work with the Motif XF).

One of the main reasons I purchased the Motif XF6 is I want to take advantage of the AWESOME Performances and arpeggios.  I want to be able to go into Performance mode and record a few bars into section “A” of a pattern, then some more bars in section “B” then “C”, etc.  I have been able to do this just fine. 

The Performance I am working with is “Trance Vision” (USR 1, B02).  I recording 4 bars into section “A” of a pattern that we will call “Sequence Test”.  The “Trance Vision” performance has 4 parts/tracks.  When I press “Track” button in the Pattern section, I note that there are 4 tracks (1-4) and also that the TX channel for each track is ch’s 1-4 (to match up with the tracks/parts).

In the sequencer setup “Quick Setup” when I have it set to “1” (Using Internal Sequencer), my Pattern plays just fine (Arpeggio and all).

Now I want to take what I have recorded as a Pattern in the Motif XF6 and record it into Cubase 7.  I have looked all over the Motifator website and have looked at several tip sheets (most are pertaining to the older Motif XS or the original Motif).  I have followed the directions to the best of my knowledge without success with what I am trying to do.

In the Motif XF6 I have set the “Quick Setup” to “4” (Recording Arpeggio to Computer).  In Cubase 7, I have unchecked the box for “MIDI Thru Active”.  I have created 4 MIDI tracks in Cubase 7 setting each track to its own MIDI channel (1-4).  I record enable all four tracks and clicked on the speaker (monitor) button.  In the Sync area (in the transport bar) I set the MIDI Clock destination to Port 1 of the XF6 (with Cubase being the Internal timecode).

When I go to record in Cubase 7, and hit the record button, It does start the Motif playing my pattern and I can see the Event display and getting longer and longer (for each of the for tracks as it is recording).  I notice though that no notes are getting recorded at all.  When I hit the stop button in the transport window of Cubase, the Event displays disappear.

I did confirm that when I am in the PATTERN and I press MIXING/EDIT/PART 1, and then ARP OTHER that I have “MIDI OUT SWITCH” turned on.  I have the same thing set for Parts 2-4.

Here are the various tip sheets I have looked at on the Motifator website:

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/motif_xs_recording_arpeggios_to_an_external_sequencer

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/460064

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/how_to_copy_a_performance_to_the_sequencer1

I hope that somebody out there can help me out.  I love the sounds in the Motif XF and I am anxious to get things working.  I know that Yamaha and Steinberg make great products.

As a side note, If I go into Voice Mode and pick a simple Piano patch, and try recording in Cubase 7 It does record the notes.  What is funny is that with have 4 tracks in Cubase and having each track on a different channel (1-4) it is recording the same notes on each track (must be that in voice mode it is transmitting on all 16 channels.

Bill

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2013 @ 11:12 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Now I want to take what I have recorded as a Pattern in the Motif XF6 and record it into Cubase 7.  I have looked all over the Motifator website and have looked at several tip sheets (most are pertaining to the older Motif XS or the original Motif).  I have followed the directions to the best of my knowledge without success with what I am trying to do.

In the Motif XF6 I have set the “Quick Setup” to “4” (Recording Arpeggio to Computer).

Ooops! stop right here ... You have selected the WRONG “Quick Sequencer Setup”

Since you have already “recorded as a Pattern” you simply want to transfer your data to Cubase.

I recommend Quick Sequencer Setup #2: Recording internal sequencer to computer
Since this most closely describes what you are doing. You are no longer recording arpeggios - you have already done that to the XF’s internal sequencer. So you simply need to transfer the data via Quick Setup #2

Set Cubase to send Clock and tempo to the XF
Go to TRANSPORT > PROJECT SYNCHRONIZATION SETTINGS… > set MIDI CLOCK OUT > Destination = Motif XF main or port 1

As a side note, If I go into Voice Mode and pick a simple Piano patch, and try recording in Cubase 7 It does record the notes.  What is funny is that with have 4 tracks in Cubase and having each track on a different channel (1-4) it is recording the same notes on each track (must be that in voice mode it is transmitting on all 16 channels.

Basic MIDI 101 here. A MIDI track will record all incoming MIDI data. Remember MIDI data always includes the MIDI channel. If you press middle “C” on your MIDI keyboard, it will send the following data to the active MIDI OUT port: that you pressed MIDI note number 60, and the velocity at which you pressed it, also apart of the Note-On event is the MIDI channel that event was recorded on.

So when recording multiple channels of MIDI data it is only necessary to place a single MIDI track in Record - since DAWs like Cubase re-channelize data on the MIDI output, set the RECORD channel = “ANY”

Literally “ANY” - this allows the DAW to send the MIDI data back to the tone engine respecting the source MIDI channel of each event.

The ONLY reason to place MIDI data on separate tracks is for the convenience of editing it. (remember MIDI data makes no sound)

RECORD everything to one MIDI TRACK , CH = ANY, then use the MIDI function in Cubase called “DISSOLVE PARTS” by channel… To separate the data to separate Tracks.

Hope that helps.

Of course, if you complete the basic tracks in the XF, that is, convert your Patterns to a Motif XF linear SONG… SAVE your Motif XF data in an ALL data file .X3A

Cubase can then simply IMPORT MOTIF XF SONG directly into a Cubase Project. Your XF MIDI tracks will be imported to indiviudal (separate) Cubase MIDI Tracks and any Audio recorded to the XF’s Integrated Sampling Sequencer will be imported to Cubase Audio Tracks simply by IMPORTING the File directly!!!

IMPORT Motif XF Song

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2013 @ 01:20 PM
1963wildbill
Joined  12-29-2012
Bad_Mister - 14 January 2013 11:12 AM

In the Motif XF6 I have set the “Quick Setup” to “4” (Recording Arpeggio to Computer).

Ooops! stop right here ... You have selected the WRONG “Quick Sequencer Setup”

Since you have already “recorded as a Pattern” you simply want to transfer your data to Cubase.

I recommend Quick Sequencer Setup #2: Recording internal sequencer to computer
Since this most closely describes what you are doing. You are no longer recording arpeggios - you have already done that to the XF’s internal sequencer. So you simply need to transfer the data via Quick Setup #2

Set Cubase to send Clock and tempo to the XF
Go to TRANSPORT > PROJECT SYNCHRONIZATION SETTINGS… > set MIDI CLOCK OUT > Destination = Motif XF main or port 1

Basic MIDI 101 here. A MIDI track will record all incoming MIDI data. Remember MIDI data always includes the MIDI channel. If you press middle “C” on your MIDI keyboard, it will send the following data to the active MIDI OUT port: that you pressed MIDI note number 60, and the velocity at which you pressed it, also apart of the Note-On event is the MIDI channel that event was recorded on.

So when recording multiple channels of MIDI data it is only necessary to place a single MIDI track in Record - since DAWs like Cubase re-channelize data on the MIDI output, set the RECORD channel = “ANY”

Literally “ANY” - this allows the DAW to send the MIDI data back to the tone engine respecting the source MIDI channel of each event.

The ONLY reason to place MIDI data on separate tracks is for the convenience of editing it. (remember MIDI data makes no sound)

RECORD everything to one MIDI TRACK , CH = ANY, then use the MIDI function in Cubase called “DISSOLVE PARTS” by channel… To separate the data to separate Tracks.

Hope that helps.

Of course, if you complete the basic tracks in the XF, that is, convert your Patterns to a Motif XF linear SONG… SAVE your Motif XF data in an ALL data file .X3A

Cubase can then simply IMPORT MOTIF XF SONG directly into a Cubase Project. Your XF MIDI tracks will be imported to indiviudal (separate) Cubase MIDI Tracks and any Audio recorded to the XF’s Integrated Sampling Sequencer will be imported to Cubase Audio Tracks simply by IMPORTING the File directly!!!

IMPORT Motif XF Song

Thanks Bad Mister.  I will try it later on. 

By the way, just so I understand about MIDI channels vs. parts/tracks in the Motif XF, When I do a Performance Record and it puts it into a pattern, I see it puts each part into a Separate track (1-4).  Is each track still on the same MIDI channel?  I know you have talked about using the JOB for EXCHANGE TRACK to move tracks (like if I wanted to move tracks 1-4 to 5-8).  What does that do with the MIDI channel for each track?  I thought I heard you mention perviously that the Only way Performance Mode works is because all the the parts (ie 1-4) are all on the same MIDI channel (like channel 1).  When I do a Performance reord into a Pattern, does it put each part automatically on its own MIDI channel, or is there a step I need to do to put each part in the Motif XF6 on a separate MIDI channel?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2013 @ 01:43 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

To understand how Yamaha came up with Direct Performance Record and to understand how innovative it is… is to understand the issue.

Yes, in order to play sounds simultaneously, you address them on the same MIDI channel. For Direct Performance Record to work you have to understand that you “play” all the sounds together but they are OUTPUT to the XF’s sequencer so that when you get ready to play it back - the data has be separated and the PARTS of the PERFORMANCE deconstructed and placed on separate MIDI channels - reuniting the data with the notes that trigger it.

The key is, when you play, normally, the tone engine responds.
When you trigger an arpeggio to play, it is the arpeggio that triggers the tone engine. Not you. So depending on what each of the PARTS of your PERFORMANCE are doing, you would get different results. Take your time are realize what is going on.

With the PERFORMANCE you selected TRANCE VISION: You are triggering a chord - say an F minor 7 that you hold for 4 measures and then you change to a G minor 7 for the next 4 measures.

That is what you play. Two simple whole note chords… tied through 4 measures each.

What results is another whole thing!!!! The F - Ab - C - Eb are not just held (that is what YOU played). The result is the pulsating drums, the Bass line, and the syncopated rhythm of the two chord PARTS. Hardly what you played.

You are only playing a tied Whole Note chord. The sequencer does not record what YOU play, (those whole notes do not appear in the track data) you don’t want what YOU played. TURN the ARP OFF - and listen to what YOU are playing.

You want the OUTPUT of the arpeggiator. What those notes do to the drum part is different from what they do to the Bass part, and different from what they do to the two chordal parts.

Think about it, listen to what is going on, then try to envision the “magic” that Direct Performance Record must pull off.

First it does not record the notes you play, it only records the OUTPUT of the arpeggiators (since all four parts of this Performance are “played” by the arpeggiators)… and each is separated to a separate Track.

It routes each arpeggio phrase to a separate track in SONG or PATTERN mode. Please read the section of the manual on RECORDING in PERFORMANCE mode page 31 of the Owner’s Manual

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2013 @ 08:59 PM
1963wildbill
Joined  12-29-2012

Ok we are getting closer.  :)

I took my 4 bar pattern an recorded it into Cubase 7 (using Quick Seq Setup 2) and had all the notes go to one track.  I then used the MIDI/Dissolve Part function of Cubase and had it dissolve the track into separate channels.  I ended up with 4 tracks (Channels 1-4) for each of the parts from the original track that had all the notes in it with all the channels mixed together.

I am not hearing the drum part from track 1/channel 1.  My track is not muted in Cubase 7.  If I let the Motif XF play back the sequence using just the internal Motif XF sequencer playing the pattern (Quick Seq Setup 1) I hear the drums.

I am sure it is something simple.

Also, if I want to just have the Pattern play through one time (4 bars) is there a way to tell the Motif XF to not loop those bars over and over?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2013 @ 09:54 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

I am not hearing the drum part from track 1/channel 1.  My track is not muted in Cubase 7.  If I let the Motif XF play back the sequence using just the internal Motif XF sequencer playing the pattern (Quick Seq Setup 1) I hear the drums.

If the PART is set to ARP PLAY ONLY = ON then the PART will sound only in response to the ARPEGGIATOR>
Press [MIXING]
Press [EDIT]
Press the PART for the DRUMS
Press [F1] VOICE
Perss [SF1] VOICE
Set ARP PLAY ONLY = OFF

Also, if I want to just have the Pattern play through one time (4 bars) is there a way to tell the Motif XF to not loop those bars over and over?

SONG mode is the linear mode of the sequencer, PATTERN mode is the looping mode of the sequencer. You can have the PATTERN mode play once (and not loop) as a setting during record. However, during playback the PATTERN mode is designed to Loop.

You can have the PATTERN follow your commands (as in “play once and stop”) by creating a CHAIN. A PATTERN CHAIN is a list of play commands for your PATTERN

From the PATTERN mode:
Press [F5] CHAIN
Press [EDIT]
Here you can insert instructions for the playback order.
INSERT the Section you want to play once… say it is [A]
CURSOR down to the measure you want the sequence to STOP and enter an [END] command.

For example, if you have a 4 measure Section, scroll to measure 005 and press [INSERT], use the DATA WHEEL to view the options - [A]-[P], [END]… select the “END” command and place it at measure 005. The sequencer will playback the CHAIN and stop at the end of the Section.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2013 @ 10:18 PM
1963wildbill
Joined  12-29-2012
Bad_Mister - 14 January 2013 09:54 PM

If the PART is set to ARP PLAY ONLY = ON then the PART will sound only in response to the ARPEGGIATOR>
Press [MIXING]
Press [EDIT]
Press the PART for the DRUMS
Press [F1] VOICE
Perss [SF1] VOICE
Set ARP PLAY ONLY = OFF

SONG mode is the linear mode of the sequencer, PATTERN mode is the looping mode of the sequencer. You can have the PATTERN mode play once (and not loop) as a setting during record. However, during playback the PATTERN mode is designed to Loop.

You can have the PATTERN follow your commands (as in “play once and stop”) by creating a CHAIN. A PATTERN CHAIN is a list of play commands for your PATTERN

From the PATTERN mode:
Press [F5] CHAIN
Press [EDIT]
Here you can insert instructions for the playback order.
INSERT the Section you want to play once… say it is [A]
CURSOR down to the measure you want the sequence to STOP and enter an [END] command.

For example, if you have a 4 measure Section, scroll to measure 005 and press [INSERT], use the DATA WHEEL to view the options - [A]-[P], [END]… select the “END” command and place it at measure 005. The sequencer will playback the CHAIN and stop at the end of the Section.

GREAT INFO!!

Well I now have my drums :)

So how do I change the tempo of my Sequence via Cubase 7?  I did go in and set the transport preferences as you described.  When I move my tempo in Cubase up or down, the Sequence plays at the same speed regardless of where I set the tempo in Cubase.  Keep in mind I recorded the Midi data In Cubase sent over from the Motif XF (using quick sequence setting 2), then dissolved the part into four separate tracks.  Now when I play the Cubase sequence and it sends the info back to the Motif XF, the tempo does not change no matter what.  I have tried quick sequence setting 2 and 3 and it makes not difference.  What am I doing incorrectly?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2013 @ 10:29 AM
Bondra
Total Posts:  136
Joined  11-11-2012

Im curious about that one too…

Somebody got an idea?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 24, 2013 @ 12:14 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

So how do I change the tempo of my Sequence via Cubase 7?

Setting the Tempo in Cubase can be done by clicking on TEMPO in the TRANSPORT

I did go in and set the transport preferences as you described.  When I move my tempo in Cubase up or down, the Sequence plays at the same speed regardless of where I set the tempo in Cubase.

Once you have recorded the MIDI data into Cubase there is no reason to have the Motif continue to follow Cubase . So we are not clear what you mean when you say the Sequence plays at the same tempo. Are you referring to the XF or Cubase?

Keep in mind I recorded the Midi data In Cubase sent over from the Motif XF (using quick sequence setting 2), then dissolved the part into four separate tracks.  Now when I play the Cubase sequence and it sends the info back to the Motif XF, the tempo does not change no matter what.  I have tried quick sequence setting 2 and 3 and it makes not difference.  What am I doing incorrectly?

Again once you transferred the MIDI events to Cubase, you set the XF to not follow Cubase START/STOP commands

UTILITY > F5 CONTROL > SF2 MIDI
Set the SEQUENCER CONTROL = OFF

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Faster way?
Next Topic:

Slicing samples from a user created drumkit ››