mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Yamaha MG102C and XF / Song / Integrated Sampling / Vocals"

Posted on: January 12, 2013 @ 04:02 PM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Total Posts:  728
Joined  09-20-2011

~question;
I am using a Yamaha MG102c mixer (please see attached files).
I’ve read it’s manual and have found a fairly good vocal sound using two Shure KSM44a‘s condensers, one on the left, one on the right for a real stereo effect.
http://www.shure.de/dms/shure/products/microphones/user_guides/ksm/ksm44A-user-guide_EN.pdf
Of course from the stereo out of the mixer to the XF are Mogami Gold Studio Unbalanced 1/4” to 1/4” Patch Cable with Neutrik Plugs 6 Foot.

There has been an experimentation process to find a more quiet less-room-ambiance sound by adjusting the XF’s volume knob on the A/D Input first at 25%, then 50%, 75 etc, while adjusting the MG accordingly.
These Shure’s are so quiet with the least amount of self noise it’s slightly intimidating :)
Any and all advice from anyone that has some experience with the MG102c using condensers the into an XF will be appreciated,
and there of course is no urgency here for reply.

Thanks.
Marc

File Attachments
mg82cx_en_om.pdf  (File Size: 1197KB - Downloads: 215)
MG206C-102C_datasheet.pdf  (File Size: 2468KB - Downloads: 290)
tracksheet_mg102c.pdf  (File Size: 208KB - Downloads: 203)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 13, 2013 @ 09:09 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Gain Staging the signal should not be guess work. If you are using the MG mixer to prepare the signal for the XF, setting the gain should be done properly for that mixer.

Obviously, you are using it to supply the phantom power for your condenser mic. The audio output of the MG is line level, so the AD INPUT setup on the XF should be set LINE.

Understand the GAIN knob next to the XF analog inputs influences your incoming level, and should be set near it at minimum with a LINE level signal coming in. Use the overload warning lights and the Meters of the MG mixer to determine you are sending enough level to the XF. Optimize the level at the MG mixer so that the GAIN knob on the XF is at minimum (fully counterclockwise). You DO NOT want to use any GAIN from the XF. Your mixer is to supply ALL of the gain for the microphone.

This is not a subjective setting!
It is not a setting that will change the ambient nature of the microphone.
It simply proper gain staging.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 13, 2013 @ 10:32 AM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Joined  09-20-2011

Thank you for the understanding of proper gain setting between the two volume controls of the mixer and the XF respectively.
I appreciate it Bad_Mister.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 13, 2013 @ 10:53 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
HappyNewYear2013 - 12 January 2013 04:02 PM

[...]I am using a Yamaha MG102c mixer (please see attached files).
I’ve read it’s manual and have found a fairly good vocal sound using two Shure KSM44a‘s condensers, one on the left, one on the right for a real stereo effect.[...]

There has been a long experimentation process to try and find a nicer more quiet less-room-ambiance sound by adjusting the XF’s volume knob on the A/D Input first at 25%, then 50%, 75 etc, while adjusting the MG accordingly.[...]

To reduce the influence of room acoustics, you’ll probably find that switching the Shures’ polar response to the cardioid position would be helpful. You could then experiment with mic proximity - reducing the distance between source and mic will tend to minimize reflected/reverberant sound. If close proximity results in excessive bass response, some EQ via the MG102C can be used to reduce it.

I would suggest that you initially monitor the sound using headphones plugged into the MG102C. Once you get the quality and levels correct at the mixer, leave its settings alone and adjust the XF’s A/D line input gain for proper levels. At that point, only slight (if any) tweaking of the mixer’s controls might be needed to refine your sound.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 13, 2013 @ 11:28 AM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Joined  09-20-2011

Thanks 5Pin.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 22, 2015 @ 10:45 AM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Joined  09-20-2011

Auralex made all the difference with room issues…

Found this old post of mine from back when I started.  :-)

Thanks to Bad_Mister and 5Pin over the years....
I appreciate the help.

Happy Memorial Weekend!

[ Ignore ]