mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "E.Q. / AUDIO SOUND ASSISTANCE - S90XS"

Posted on: December 28, 2012 @ 03:04 PM
bigbugatti
Total Posts:  27
Joined  10-30-2012

Having an E.Q. issue with my piano sound.  Rhodes and organ sounds are fine.

Is there an E.Q. unit or something available to run in between my amp and speakers?

I’m running my S90XS thru a Peavey XR8600 (1200 watts) PA Head and two Peavey PVx-15 Speakers.  I have to turn the lows and mid E.Q. (7 band EQ) almost all the way down to avoid a ‘BOINKY’ mid range distorted tone. 

The amp has a Pad switch that attenuates the input signal by -25 dB.  This seems to help the tone but cuts the volume too low for club performance.

I’m running stereo out of keyboard into 2 differenct input channels.  I’m running 600 watts - monitor out to one speaker and 600 watts main out to the other speaker for stereo sound.

I’m running out of the keyboard to the amp’s XLR inputs.  The amp output is Speakon cable to 1/4” speaker input.

Just having a hard time achieving a full, rich clean piano sound and looking for suggestions.  Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 29, 2012 @ 05:41 PM
S70xs_user
Total Posts:  60
Joined  09-02-2012

I am wondering whether you may be experiencing the so-called phasing problem, where the audio signals of left and right “cancel” each other at certain frequencies depending on the distance between the speakers.

Try leaving your EQ settings unchanged, but place speakers closer together or further apart to see if any change - possibly the sound drop off “murky” may move to another part of frequency spectrum if this is the issue?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 31, 2012 @ 08:21 PM
bigbugatti
Joined  10-30-2012

Thanks for the input.  I tried your suggestion but unfortunately that didn’t solve the problem.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 01, 2013 @ 07:11 AM
S70xs_user
Total Posts:  60
Joined  09-02-2012

Just to clarify - my suggestion was not designed to “solve” the problem, only to identify if stereo phasing may have been the problem. 

Finally, run the output to both speakers in mono, with the speakers fairly close together. If the problem persists, then it is definitely not phasing, and someone else can chip in with thoughts.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 04, 2013 @ 06:26 PM
bigbugatti
Joined  10-30-2012

Ok, I’ll try running mono out of keyboard. thanks for the input

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 18, 2013 @ 06:46 PM
bigbugatti
Joined  10-30-2012

E.Q. problem solved!!

I returned my Peavey xr8600 and bought a pair of M-Audio BX8 D2 powered studio monitors.  Wow, I can finally hear the beauty of the S90XS. Thank God.  Surprisingly strong and clear even when pushing them to their limit. I am using them live and you should have seen the look of wonder from my band mates!  Small club with about 150 people.

Every bit as loud and much, much cleaner than the 1200 watt xr8600 amp with the two PVx15 speakers I previously owned. 

So glad.  Thank you for your input.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Buzz/hum in S90ES - HELP!
Next Topic:

S90 ES playing wrong patch ››