mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "FC 7 for volume question"

Posted on: November 27, 2012 @ 10:09 AM
vincentj46
Total Posts:  29
Joined  11-20-2010

I am currently using a stereo audio volume pedal with my XS6 and am thinking about an FC 7. I would like this to replace my audio pedal for volume only. Can this be set up globaly or will I have to modify every program? Most of the control sets are full. Do I have to sacrafice one of these for the FC 7? I am looking for plug and play. Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2012 @ 11:05 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

If you plug the Yamaha FC7 pedal into the FOOT CONTROLLER 1 jack it will be your “plug and play” Expression pedal. Nothing to program.

You do get a choice however: the pedal will default to RESET. This means that when you call up a new Program the Foot Controller will reset to maximum Volume. Say you are playing an organ sound and at the end of the song you fade out (move the pedal to the HEEL DOWN position). the default (RESET) condition means when you press the button to recall the next program, even though the pedal is physically HEEL DOWN, the program will reset and VOLUME will be restored to the stored value as set in the recalled program.

If you prefer to have the pedal “LIVE” at all times, then you can simply set the CONTROLLER RESET parameter = HOLD

Make sense?

Press [UTILITY]
Press [F5] CONTROL
Press [SF2] MIDI
CONTROLLER RESET = RESET or HOLD
Press [STORE] to lock in your preference. ...and this too is global

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2012 @ 12:51 PM
vincentj46
Joined  11-20-2010

Perfect sense. Thanks for the “reset” portion of the answer. I was going to ask that as well because the sliders aren’t “live” until they are moved past their preset value. I thought this might be the case with the foot controller too. Will changing the controller reset to hold affect the sliders?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2012 @ 01:41 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

No, of course not. The CS (Control Sliders) have different roles in different modes. Let’s take Voice mode, as an example, they are ELEMENT LEVELS - one for each of the 8 possible Elements in a VOICE - the Element Level setting for one Voice would be completely meaningless to the Element Level setting in the next Voice.

In a Piano Voice the Elements could be different components of the sound - how loud the Medium Strike plays while another could be the Soft strike, or an Element might affect just the upper region of the keys above G5 where the felt dampers would mute strings, etc. And in the next Voice they might be acting like Drawbars for an organ sound. What if ELEMENT 7 was a 0 in one voice and needed to be at 127 in the next

No one and I mean no one (not even YOU, asking the question) would want to adjust all 8 sliders every time you selected a new VOICE; nor would you want to inherit the level settings from one to the next. Yikes, I can’t even imagine what chaos that would be.

No the CONTROLLER RESET works on your physical assignable MIDI controllers:
like your MW, FOOT CONTROLERS, etc.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 04, 2012 @ 09:20 AM
vincentj46
Joined  11-20-2010

I just purchased the FC7 and plugged it into foot controller 1. It does work globally as you said. One problem however, I use a controller keyboard. In song mode this controller is set to channel 2 and the Motif is 1. The pedal is changing the vol on channel 1 but not effecting channel 2. What do I do? I still would like plug and play over ALL channels.

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 04, 2012 @ 10:34 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

The FC7 plugs into the Yamaha keyboard and becomes like the keys of the KEYBOARD, a part of the controller. The FC7 transmits on the same MIDI channel currently selected for the Motif XS.

If you are using an external controller keyboard then you need to purcahse a foot pedal that plugs into that external keyboard. Then it will transmit on the MIDI channel that you set for the external controller keyboard.

The MIDI channel you set for your external controller will determine what channel it’s pedal, it’s MW, it’s PB wheel, and its keyboard transmit on. Thinking that the receiving device (the Motif) has some affect on the controllers of your external device is your mistake.

If you were to transmit from the Motif, then the FC7 would transmit on the MIDI channel you select for the Motif, it is that simple.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ How to make a mandolin sound ( sample )
Next Topic:

A silly question... ››