mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Can Vocals Affect a Voice?"

Posted on: November 18, 2012 @ 09:26 PM
Ravenok
Total Posts:  2
Joined  11-18-2012

I’ve spent some time searching through the features and the forums, and I haven’t been able to find anything on this, but I may well be trying to approach this the wrong way.

I love my MOX8, but I mostly just use it to record piano pieces.  Now, I have a trumpet part, for which the current voices simply are not expressive enough.  However, years of “Peanuts” adult impressions have really honed my ability to make trombone sounds, so I feel like if there were just a way to “sing” the trumpet part and apply the trumpet voice texture to my vocals (or vice versa), I’d be all set.

I have no idea if this is possible.  I have really been digging through the board’s settings and effects, but I’ve hardly touched them before, and the options can be pretty overwhelming; I just thought I’d see if someone else out there knew off-hand if it can be done, if I’m approaching my problem the wrong way, or if I’m wasting my time entirely.  Thanks =)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 18, 2012 @ 09:31 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002
Ravenok - 18 November 2012 09:26 PM

I’ve spent some time searching through the features and the forums, and I haven’t been able to find anything on this, but I may well be trying to approach this the wrong way.

I love my MOX8, but I mostly just use it to record piano pieces.  Now, I have a trumpet part, for which the current voices simply are not expressive enough.  However, years of “Peanuts” adult impressions have really honed my ability to make trombone sounds, so I feel like if there were just a way to “sing” the trumpet part and apply the trumpet voice texture to my vocals (or vice versa), I’d be all set.

I have no idea if this is possible.  I have really been digging through the board’s settings and effects, but I’ve hardly touched them before, and the options can be pretty overwhelming; I just thought I’d see if someone else out there knew off-hand if it can be done, if I’m approaching my problem the wrong way, or if I’m wasting my time entirely.  Thanks =)

There is no way to do this on the MO X.

Computer software will do this, however (to an extent). A software plug-in called Melodyne can convert recorded audio to MIDI (you need to use something like Cubase to record the audio into):

http://www.celemony.com

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 19, 2012 @ 02:51 AM
iluvchiclets
Total Posts:  112
Joined  06-15-2007

Could the Vocoder on the MOX do what he is asking?

I’ve never actually used the vocoder on my MOX, but I wonder if Ravnok’s voice could trigger a trumpet waveform assigned to the Vocoder?

...just thinking…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 19, 2012 @ 03:50 AM
el-Odysseas
Total Posts:  190
Joined  04-05-2012

Hallo Ravenok,

WIND CONTROLLER could be helpful for you.
Working with MIDI, and how realistic it will sound at the end, realy depends on many things:

-Your sound module

-The effects you can use.... and use (the Random SFX in the MOX, or the Expression-VX instruments in Cubase for example)

- To know what and when to change the sound-parameters. (Attack-release-Dynamik etc.)

Creating realistic sounds, triggered from a MIDI, it’s like drawing a realistic portrait with a pencil.
Not that the sound quality and the possibilities hasn’t changed a lot the last 50 years!!

To answer more direct to your question:

Try layering the build in “VOCODER"[/b under the Trumpet, but
a way to control the VOICES with your voice is not possible!

Greetings,

Odysseas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 19, 2012 @ 11:59 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

When you get the MOX, Yamaha is sure to include an introductory version of Cubase… in the hope that you get curious about the world of connecting your MOX hardware to your computer and discover the world of software. Yamaha is the company that is carrying that banner - and we truly hope many of you do go ahead and upgrade to the full version of Cubase. And your request is one very good reason to consider the UPGRADE - purchase a full version of Cubase - it includes exactly what you need to elegantly accomplish what you describe (and significantly you can do it in Cubase without any plug-ins!).

When you do upgrade, you get built-in to the Cubase engine a feature called VARI AUDIO (which is better in many respects to plug-ins that do this type of VOCAL analysis and pitch correction - simply because it is built-in as apart of the Cubase engine - with a plug-in you do not get unlimited levels of undo, and trust me on vocal work, that is worth everything; you don’t get UNDO’s with Plug-in pitch correction). When editing vocals it is very much about error and trial (lol), you edit, you listen, you compare… the UNDO feature becomes not just a “nice to have”, it becomes an “I cannot do without” function!

VARI AUDIO not only analyzes what notes you sang and allows you to quantize the pitch and even add or remove vibrato, but it can generate MIDI data which you can then assign to any TONE ENGINE that you desire to play it back on.

Plug a microphone into your MOX’s A/D INPUT
Route that microphone to a Track in Cubase
Sing along with your MOX sequence while overdubbing your best “peanuts adult-voice trombone” vocals
Have Cubase’s VARI AUDIO analyze your vocal track and generate a MIDI track
(you can pitch correct it while your at it, even look at it as notation in Cubase’s SCORE function
Apply that MIDI track to a VOICE in your MOX.

Steinberg introduced “VARI AUDIO” in Cubase 5 - so you will find it in all the (full) versions since that time.

Hope that helps… and welcome to the forums!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 19, 2012 @ 04:15 PM
Ravenok
Total Posts:  2
Joined  11-18-2012

Thanks for all of the great ideas; I’m sure I can find something in here that will work for me.  I’m playing with Melodyne right now, my Cubase 6.5 trial is downloading in the background, and I’ll probably be messing around with the vocoder settings shortly =).

Thank you all!

[ Ignore ]