mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "problem with ieee1394 update"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: October 30, 2012 @ 06:34 PM
Valdesuru
Total Posts:  30
Joined  10-23-2012

Hello, sorry if my english is not so good.
I have a problem that is disturbing me a lot. I can´t upload my ieee1394 firewire version on motif xs8. When i connect via this cable nothing appears on my computer, so i can’t update the 1.07 version.
I readt in this forum that one friend had the same problem but i don’t know how it finished.
I have the os of motif xs upload to 1.60 version. The YSFW is installed but now working still because is not a connection between computer and motif.
I have a mac os x lion 10.7.6 and recently i bought one firewire card with chipset of texas instrument.
No FW setting appears on utility-autoload on my motif, logically.
So....this ieee1394 updater should work without any type of driver, no??? Only connecting the cable from the computer to motif and that´s all???
I hope that won’t be a problem of the firewire card inside motif...but if it’s like this...in motif xs8 that card is independent or is part of bigger card??? (this last will be much more expensive)
Thanks for your comments

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 30, 2012 @ 07:43 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Because you are using Mac OS 10.7 Lion please download and install

Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver V1.7.1-2 updated October 18, 2012

http://download.yamaha.com

Once installed, connect the Motif XS to the computer via FireWire. You must establish this working connection - then follow the included instructions to verify your IEEE1394 Version, and update to 1.07 if not already at that version.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 30, 2012 @ 08:37 PM
Valdesuru
Joined  10-23-2012

Hi! Thanks for the answer
i checked the version of the driver and it is v1.7.1-2., I diwnloaded 26 of this month. So this is not the problem.
But as i know, to make the update of ieee1394 is not necessary to have the driver installed, the computer should recognize motif just connecting the cable...am i right?
This is why im worried that the problem could be in the motif.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 31, 2012 @ 05:08 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Go to SYSTEM PREFERENCES
Click on the Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver icon (listed under “Other")
It will report on your computer’s status as it concerns this driver

A Control Panel will open
It should have three tabs: General, Motif XS, About

Let us know.

In the Motif XS
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F5] CONTROL
press [SF2] MIDI
Make sure MIDI IN/OUT = mLAN

Press [F1] GENERAL
Press [SF4] AUTO LOAD
Change IEEE1394 Driver = FW
Press [STORE] to write this preference to internal Flash ROM
Reboot the XS

Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 31, 2012 @ 06:29 AM
Valdesuru
Joined  10-23-2012

Well, this steps i did many times but when i click YSFW only appears 2 tabs: general and about, both blank just with drivers main information: v.1.7.1

Motif settings are the same as you wrote just in the place of FW there is mlan and i can’t change it. Maybe beacuse i can’t update ee1394 to version 1.0.7, wich would enable to change MLAN to FW.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 31, 2012 @ 08:39 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Well, this steps i did many times but when i click YSFW only appears 2 tabs: general and about, both blank just with drivers main information: v.1.7.1

If the “About” tab is blank, meaning it does not report your current IEEE1394 Version, then you do not have a working FW connection between your computer and the Motif XS… Which is required.The IEEE1394 version can be updated from an older version, but if your computer cannot contact the XS via the current FW version, obviously you cannot update to a newer version. Nothing unusual there.

You now have to determine is it your computer, your FW card adapter, or your Motif XS.

What type of Mac computer are you attempting to use?

Have you connected anything else to the FW adapter card to verify that it works?

On the Motif XS
Press [UTILITY]
While in Utility mode hold [UTILITY] + [^] + [F1]
Verify that you indeed have 1.60.x as your firmware. Let us know. Because updating your Motif XS should give you the option to view and select the parameter “IEEE1394 Driver = FW” to auto load.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 02, 2012 @ 08:20 AM
Valdesuru
Joined  10-23-2012

Well, i connected motif to a macbook and no signal too… My computer is made from components and with mac operative system (original lion os)
As i read in this forum, my conceptronic firewire card have a TI chip compatible with Yamaha Steinberg FW.
I made sure that the motif os is v.1.60.
Is this true that update of motif firmware makes appear that FW setting , or update of ieee1394?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 02, 2012 @ 09:44 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Valdesuru - 02 November 2012 08:20 AM

[...]Is this true that update of motif firmware makes appear that FW setting , or update of ieee1394?

The IEEE1394 Firmware Updater is what will allow the “FW” setting. But… I’m not sure that the YSFW driver can see the mLAN (FW in the XS8) until the IEEE1394 update has been done.

You may have to uninstall the YSFW driver, install the mLAN driver, do the IEEE1394 update, and then reinstall the YSFW driver.

Since I don’t have mLAN in my XS6, I’m not certain of the above - but you won’t hurt anything to try it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 02, 2012 @ 05:53 PM
Lone Star
Total Posts:  19
Joined  05-17-2012

Valdesuru,

Earlier Bad Mister ask you to download and install the FW driver. Originally, were you running the AI driver, then you installed the FW over that?

Or did you remove the old AI driver, then install the FW driver?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 02, 2012 @ 07:44 PM
Valdesuru
Joined  10-23-2012

This is what i did:

1 - update motif xs8 os to v.1.60
2 - reinstall the op. system lion 10.7.6
3 - install yamaha steinberg FW which computer didn’t recognize.
4 - connect motif to computer via ieee1394 but dont works.

In motif dont appears that fw setting in the autoload tab. I tried to upload with Ieee1394 updater but it don’t recognize motif.
I have mlan tools drivers and ai driver but i read that is not necessary to install if i will use YSFW (and are old)

Im so thankfull for your help

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 02, 2012 @ 07:59 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Valdesuru - 02 November 2012 07:44 PM

This is what i did:

1 - update motif xs8 os to v.1.60
2 - reinstall the op. system lion 10.7.6
3 - install yamaha steinberg FW which computer didn’t recognize.
4 - connect motif to computer via ieee1394 but dont works.

In motif dont appears that fw setting in the autoload tab. I tried to upload with Ieee1394 updater but it don’t recognize motif.
I have mlan tools drivers and ai driver but i read that is not necessary to install if i will use YSFW (and are old)

Im so thankfull for your help

I did some searching, and found this:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/458006/

It seems to support what I said before - apparently the YSFW driver might not see the mLAN until the IEEE1394 update is done.

What do you have to lose (other than a few minutes of time) to uninstall the YSFW driver, install the old mLAN driver, and then try the IEEE1394 update?

If that works, then reinstall the YSFW driver. If it doesn’t work, then you are no worse off than you are now, and I apologize for wasting your time.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 02, 2012 @ 08:23 PM
Lone Star
Total Posts:  19
Joined  05-17-2012

‘I have mlan tools drivers and ai driver but i read that is not necessary to install if i will use YSFW (and are old).’

You have them, but they’re NOT installed along with the FW drivers, ..are they?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 02, 2012 @ 08:40 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

One other thought… Are you sure you have the correct type of FW cable? The standard FW cable is a crossover type, and is the one you should be using. There is also a non-crossover (straight through) type, which is not standard, and is not the type to use.

The standard FW cable (crossover) connects receive-to-transmit, transmit-to-receive.

The straight-through FW cable won’t work, because it will connect transmit-to-transmit and receive-to-receive.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 02, 2012 @ 11:16 PM
Valdesuru
Joined  10-23-2012

I uninstall YSFW driver, then i tried to install mlan driver but during installation a message appeared and tell me that can’t finished beacuse some components are not compatible with my op.system. I think because mlan driver is too old to work in lion.
The cable is crossover.

And what lone star asks, yes, i have the drivers of mlan and ai driver but not installed.

I dont know what to do....could be that fw setting dont appears on motif because motif dont recognize its own mlan card? And maybe this is bcause cant upload ieee1394 firewire too?

I hope no!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 03, 2012 @ 12:15 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Please forget about the old AI and mLAN Drivers (they certainly do not work under Lion)…

■ New “IEEE1394 Driver” parameter
Page 262 of Owner’s Manual
The Auto Load display, which is used to specify the default display and which file to automatically load when the instrument is turned on, now includes a parameter named “IEEE1394 Driver.” Using this parameter, you can set the driver to be used when connecting your computer’s IEEE1394 connector to the instrument’s mLAN connector (available for MOTIF XS6/7 only when the optional mLAN16E2 has been installed).

Settings: mLAN, FW
mLAN
Select “mLAN” when using the AI Driver or the mLAN Tools/mLAN Driver. Specifically, this setting is used when only connecting a single MOTIF XS to your computer or when connecting with mLAN-compatible devices via mLAN.
FW
Select “FW” when using the Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver. Specifically, this setting is used when also connecting devices such as the Steinberg MR816 CSX or MR816 X to your computer.

CAUTION
Changes to this parameter are applied only after storing the Utility settings (page 259 of Owner’s Manual) and restarting the MOTIF XS. If an attempt is made to restart immediately after changing the parameter, the message “Please keep power on” will be displayed for approximately 30 seconds. In order to ensure that the MOTIF XS operates normally after restart, it is extremely important that the power is not turned off while this message is being displayed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

You have updated to 1.60 you need to change the AUTO LOAD “IEEE1394 Driver” parameter to FW. This parameter is due to the firmware update of the Motif XS; not the firmware version of the FW interface.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 03, 2012 @ 12:54 AM
Valdesuru
Joined  10-23-2012

But i can’t change because FW setting don’t appears.
This is why i’m starting to think that its a problem of motif’s mlan card, maybe dont show this setting because can’t recognize its own card...could be?

What can i do? I tried to reinstall again motif firmware 1.60 but the same results..just didn’t spend so much time updating because was already updated.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2