mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "alot of user voices no sound"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: October 20, 2012 @ 07:08 PM
davem96792
Total Posts:  33
Joined  09-06-2010

Can anyone tell me why some of my user banks the voices have no sound. Does the factory reset reload user banks 2,3,4 or was that from the inspiration in a flash download. I have checked the volume, elements are on and I cant figure out why there is no sound on some of the voices. I have saved all files to usb drives but when I did this the user banks were already corrupted so when I load them back into the XF still no sound.
on some of the voices. THANKS Badmister for getting me sraightened out with my vocal samples and mixing voices for samples. Aloha

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 20, 2012 @ 08:09 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

A Voice will have no sound if the association with the Waveform(s) it uses is lost.

A full factory reset will reload all of the User banks, and the Voices will be able to use the samples that are in the ROM. It’s also possible to reload only the User data that’s unique to the XF. See page 18 of the XF Owner’s Manual and page 231 of the XF Reference Manual.

If you’ve loaded Voices that use samples not in the ROM, such as many found in Inspiration in a Flash, then the sample data either has to be loaded to User SDRAM, or installed to a flash module.

You might find the following will help with understanding how the flash modules are used:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/motif_xf_flash_memory_expansion_modules

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 20, 2012 @ 08:19 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Here’s a PDF concerning the flash modules:
http://www.motifator.com/storage/support/Flash_Memory_Expansion_Module1.pdf

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 20, 2012 @ 08:59 PM
davem96792
Joined  09-06-2010

sorry for the double post

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 20, 2012 @ 09:09 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
davem96792 - 20 October 2012 08:59 PM

sorry for the double post

No problem - however, let’s keep the posts in this thread.

Assuming that the Samples your Voices need are on a flash module in your XF, then the problem you’re experiencing is probably due to loss of the Waveform List data. See Bad_Mister‘s posts in the following thread:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/user-files/member/profile/viewthread/455629/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 20, 2012 @ 09:44 PM
davem96792
Joined  09-06-2010

5pinDin when I look at my flashboard the waveforms are there and I audtion them and I get sound. Do you think I should do a factory set. That really scares me. Because when I try to load say user bank 3 from my usb all file some of the voices are missing I dont know why. Should I redownload the inspiration in a flash again and not save it to my flash board?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 20, 2012 @ 09:58 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
davem96792 - 20 October 2012 09:44 PM

5pinDin when I look at my flashboard the waveforms are there and I audtion them and I get sound.[...]

When you move through each of the waveforms on the Waveform List, do you see anything on the used by line?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 20, 2012 @ 10:38 PM
davem96792
Joined  09-06-2010

No Only the first sample S700 the rest are blank I wonder where that whiter shade organ sound came from I looked on the inspiration in a flash voices and its not there? I never did do anything to any voice on my xf I have only been using the song mode and gigging with my sequences. I dont know exactly when the voices stopped sounding I optimized the flash could that of done anything. should all the samples or waveforms in the flash have a used by? Thank you so much for the posts

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 21, 2012 @ 02:25 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
davem96792 - 20 October 2012 10:38 PM

No Only the first sample S700 the rest are blank

Assuming that the Voices you now have loaded use the Waveforms that are listed for the flash module, somehow the association between them has been lost.

davem96792 -

I wonder where that whiter shade organ sound came from I looked on the inspiration in a flash voices and its not there?

The Whiter Shade AF1+2 Voice is on Easy Sounds’ Organ Session. I know that because I recently posted about an issue with it here:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/462308/

davem96792 -

I never did do anything to any voice on my xf I have only been using the song mode and gigging with my sequences. I dont know exactly when the voices stopped sounding I optimized the flash could that of done anything. should all the samples or waveforms in the flash have a used by?

Optimization shouldn’t cause a problem. I found http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/462372/ ,
and I can’t be sure what might have been done. If your backup files are unreliable (as that thread seems to indicate), that might be related to your problems.

If there are Waveforms on the List corresponding to Voices that are currently loaded, then yes, there should be a used by indication of that.

See if these help:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/456013
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/459113

What are the sources of the Voices that you currently have loaded in the User banks? (Inspiration in a Flash, etc.) Did you load complete ALL files, single banks, or individual Voices? Knowing those things might help determine how to re-establish the Voice/Waveform association.

davem96792 -

Thank you so much for the posts

You’re welcome - I hope some of the above will help. Using the flash modules properly can be somewhat complicated until the details fall into place. Please read the support articles I linked to, since understanding that information should make problems such as you’re currently having less likely.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 21, 2012 @ 07:01 AM
davem96792
Joined  09-06-2010

Hi 5pinDIN The only voices that I have used are the Factory and I downloaded the Inspiration in a Flash. I think I loaded it as a all file. After going thru category search the voices in user bank 1 seem ok. But it is user banks 2,3,4, that 80% of the voice dont play I looked at the elements and the ones that dont sound use FL1. I guess the whiter shade organ came with inspiration in a Flash Thats all Ive ever loaded in the XF. What do you think I should do. I thank you so much again for your time.

I did try to load from my usb drive

all, all voice, 1 user bank, but the 2, 3, 4, no sound on most.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 21, 2012 @ 09:16 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I think I loaded it as a all file.

I picked out what I feel is the KEY phrase here… the fact that you are not sure what was loaded could be at the root of this issue.

It is possible when loading Voices into the instrument to lose track of what you are doing - You must be aware that if you are loading a FILE that contains new WAVEFORM/SAMPLE data, that your LOAD OPTIONS (in the lower right corner or the FILE screen) have to be set. If you are installing data you must direct it, if you are not going to change your FLASH Boards, you must set the option to “NONE”. NONE means you are not installing any data to your FLASH BOARDS. If these LOAD OPTIONS settings are not set properly, you will be directing things possibly to unknown destinations… or duplicating data on your BOARD.

And if you are assembling data from various file sources you must create that “NEW” file to save the work you’ve done.

If you load an “ALL” data file, then everything in the FILE will be restored to USER locations in the XF’s current internal memory. That is a given. But…

Loading using any of the other options, such as “VOICE” or loading “1 BANK VOICE” can mean that you are now assembling data into a new internal Library set. You must always remember to create a new ALL data file, one that represents the new Voices and/or new Banks you have combined. (the data is now different because the XF updates/changes certain parameters automatically, according to where in your internal Library you place (direct) the data.  The Waveform numbers will be changed to join those already in place.

A VOICE, ALL VOICE or 1 BANK VOICE Type Files only replace certain specific internal data.
Waveforms and their Samples always load to the lowest number empty locations. With these selective file types you will not ever, overwrite samples. Waveforms/Samples will just simply occupy empty slots from the lowest numbered slot available. (Only an ALL data file overwrites samples; and only samples in SDRAM)

When you are doing a FILE ORGANIZATION SESSION (that is, anytime you are going to be adding new Voices/Samples/Waveforms/Songs, etc to your personal custom Motif XF Library), you must remember that from this point on, your Library file will be different from the Source Files.

The Voices load to where you instruct them in your [USER 1]-[USER 4] or [UDR] banks, the Waveforms are automatically loaded to the lowest available locations in your system (as directed by the LOAD options), and the Voice data of each Voice is automatically updated so that the Voice finds the proper Waveform locations. This is very important to understand.

Very important to know: For any VOICE that is not sounding, you want to navigate to the OSCILLATOR pages and find out WHY! Each XF VOICE can have as many as eight OSCILLATORS. On the OSCILLATOR page you can find where the VOICE is “looking” for its WAVEFORM. The WAVEFORM is the sound source for the OSCILLATOR.

Press [EDIT]
Press a numbered button [1]-[8] to view ELEMENT 1-8 and their edit parameters.
Press [F1] OSCILLATOR.

Here on this screen you can see where a VOICE “thinks” its Wave is located. There are the following options:
PRE = means the sound source for this oscillator is stored among the 3977 Waveforms that Yamaha provides in the XF WAVE ROM
USR = the sound source is stored among the 128 Waveforms that use the 128MB of volatile SDRAM
FL1 = the sound source is located among the 2048 Waveforms that could occupy an optional FLASH Board in slot 1
FL2 = the sound source is located among the 2048 Waveforms that could occupy an optional FLASH Board in slot 2

If your Voice is pointing to a WAVE BANK and the WAVE NUMBER does not have a Waveform in that slot, you will not hear any sound. A set of Voice parameters without an oscillator selected will make no sound.

Because your Waveforms will automatically be redirected to an available empty location, you can understand why you MUST create a NEW LIBRARY file once you have assembled your favorite data. The VOICE parameter that points to a specific WAVE BANK and NUMBER will be changed and needs to be documented in your NEW LIBRARY ALL data file!!!

Mixing and matching data from files (what I refer to as an “organization session") should not be done without a goal in mind. I highly recommend that you keep two versions of all your personal work. One that is WITH SAMPLES (and will act as the ARCHIVE back up), and one that is WITHOUT SAMPLES (this will be the one you work with day-to-day, because it is quicker and easier to navigate, when necessary). After all once you install data to your FLASH, you don’t need to work with loading Waveforms/Samples again, until you want to UPDATE your customized Motif XF internal Library.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 21, 2012 @ 10:42 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
davem96792 - 21 October 2012 07:01 AM

Hi 5pinDIN The only voices that I have used are the Factory and I downloaded the Inspiration in a Flash. I think I loaded it as a all file. After going thru category search the voices in user bank 1 seem ok. But it is user banks 2,3,4, that 80% of the voice dont play I looked at the elements and the ones that dont sound use FL1. I guess the whiter shade organ came with inspiration in a Flash Thats all Ive ever loaded in the XF.[...]

You should make yourself familiar with what Bad_Mister has posted above, as well as other information concerning flash module usage.

Let’s see if we can fix what you have. Starting with a fully deleted flash module, I loaded the Inspiration in a Flash ALL file. If you did something similar, then the Voices from it will be in User banks 2, 3 and 4, and the sample data will have been installed to your flash module. The samples total about 460 MB - please check your flash and let us know what Total size and Free size amounts are shown.

For Whiter Shade (User 3, A02), the Waveforms are 16’, 5 1/3’, 8’, and 4’. If all you did was load the ALL file, they will be waveform numbers 60, 61, 62, and 63 respectively. Please look at the Waveform List and let us know if it agrees with that.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 21, 2012 @ 07:50 PM
davem96792
Joined  09-06-2010

Thankyou so much for your help. The flashboard has 510m of waveforms Free size 53M I have 6 vocal samples that I created. What might of happened is that When I was loading my songs Which I had 2 separate files All song A All song B I was loading them user=user FL1=Fl which made duplicate waveforms on my flash. Badmister had me delete all the duplicates which I had 1400 of them this is just a guess I deleted them from the bottom of the list up and maybe I deleted the originals not the duplicates. And when I saved them back to my usb the waveforms that where in banks 2,3,4, were already gone. So I am now going to delete the 354 waveforms and leave my samples. And then load the inspiration in a flash again user= user FL1=FL1. And see what happens. Does that sound right?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 21, 2012 @ 08:07 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
davem96792 - 21 October 2012 07:50 PM

[...] So I am now going to delete the 354 waveforms and leave my samples. And then load the inspiration in a flash again user= user FL1=FL1. And see what happens. Does that sound right?

There are probably other ways to do this, but since you haven’t customized things much, it might be the simplest approach for you. If you delete everything but your own vocal samples from the flash module, then loading Inspiration in a Flash again should resolve the Waveform-to-Voice association problems.

Just make sure you have good backups of your own work beforehand.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 21, 2012 @ 10:58 PM
davem96792
Joined  09-06-2010

HI 5pinDin,

I have deleted all of the waveforms on my Flash except for my samples. I saved everything To a usb before I did that

All

All song

I downloaded the inspiration in a Flash again from the website I unzipped it and saved it to a USB. I opened the file on the Motif, 500mb of data. How should I set up the motif to load and save the data to the flash and to load the user banks? I just wanna be sure before I continue.  Thank you so much for your help. I looked at all of Bad Misters info and really learned alot.

Aloha

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 21, 2012 @ 11:53 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
davem96792 - 21 October 2012 10:58 PM

[...]I downloaded the inspiration in a Flash again from the website I unzipped it and saved it to a USB. I opened the file on the Motif, 2.7 mb of data. How should I set up the motif to load and save the data to the flash and to load the user banks? I just wanna be sure before I continue.
Aloha

The InspirationInAFlash1.X3A file, as seen on the flash drive by my own XF, is 466.1MB. I’m not sure what it is you’re seeing as “2.7 mb” - you might want to recheck that.

Since you’ve deleted everything but your own six samples, the flash module Free size that’s shown should be close to the 510MB maximum capacity, assuming your samples are fairly small. Certainly, there should be at least the 466MB that’s needed available.

If all that’s OK, then just load the IIAF file using defaults:
Type = all
USR = USR
FL1 = FL1
FL2 = FL2

That should load IIAF Voices to User banks 2, 3, and 4, and install what’s needed to flash. Be careful when loading anything else later on so that you don’t overwrite something you want to keep.

davem96792 -

Thank you so much for your help. I looked at all of Bad Misters info and really learned alot.

You’re welcome. I’m glad that you’ve read Bad_Mister‘s info, that should make it easier to use the flash modules. I hope you succeed in getting your XF set up the way you want it. Relax - as long as you make backups, especially of your own data, it can always be restored if something happens accidentally.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ alot of user voices no sound
Next Topic:

Combining Performances ››