mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Volume control or live mixing while playing MOX performance"

Posted on: October 17, 2012 @ 05:13 AM
Hurmen
Total Posts:  2
Joined  01-18-2012

Hi,

what is the best way to adjust the volume between performance parts (the mix) in a live situation on the MOX? I’m missing the faders of the XS.

Regards,
Herman

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 17, 2012 @ 10:25 AM
anotherscott
Total Posts:  653
Joined  06-30-2010
Hurmen - 17 October 2012 05:13 AM

what is the best way to adjust the volume between performance parts (the mix) in a live situation on the MOX? I’m missing the faders of the XS.

This should be in an FAQ here!

Assuming you’re talking about being able to alter the levels in real time in a live situation, unfortunately, you can’t use 4 knobs to control the levels of the 4 parts in a Performance, which is what everyone wants to do. However, there are some alternate approaches. The short version:

For simultaneous access to the levels of four sounds at once, the easiest solution--if you happen to own an iPad--is probably to use the Performance Essentials app. Another solution is to use song/pattern MIXING mode (instead of PERFORMANCE mode) to assemble your 4 part setups , and then bring that into a MASTER with the zoning function enabled. That will allow you to use 4 knobs on the MOX as volume controls for the 4 parts. It’s also theoretically possible to control the volumes of the parts within a Performance using any external MIDI knob/fader control surface you might have, if it is capable of sending System Exclusive commands, though I haven’t heard of anyone actually doing that yet (probably because almost no one is comfortable with sysex functions!).

If you only need to access volumes for 2 sounds at once, another possibility which works in PERFORMANCE mode is to allow the first knob to control one sound (as it normally does) and to assign a foot controller to the volume of the second sound. (The trade-off there, of course, is that it “uses up” the pedal, something I might prefer to use for mod since, without aftertouch, there’s no other way to add modulation to your right hand sound if your left hand is busy playing another sound.)

Lastly, that one knob that controls the volume of a part in a Performance can also be used to control the volume of all the different parts by hitting a few buttons to “rotate” its function though parts 1, 2, 3, and 4. That’s probably the simplest way (at least without an iPad), but the most cumbersome to deal with in live performance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 17, 2012 @ 03:58 PM
Hurmen
Total Posts:  2
Joined  01-18-2012

Thanks for that, A-scott, seeing that this issue is FAQ-able maybe we’ll get a workaround in an OS update soon!

Cheers, Herman

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 30, 2012 @ 07:48 PM
Stokely
Total Posts:  7
Joined  11-13-2009

I have yet to really use a MOX other than briefly in a store so this may be a silly question:  I’m used to the motif and using the 4 (on the classic) sliders to do exactly what is desired here; I have one of the little Korg nano-controller midi units, would it be feasible to hook that up and map those controls to the part levels?  Granted I’d rather not have to rely on another piece of gear, but I could velcro the tiny thing on and leave it so no biggie :D

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 30, 2012 @ 07:58 PM
anotherscott
Total Posts:  653
Joined  06-30-2010
Stokely - 30 October 2012 07:48 PM

I have yet to really use a MOX other than briefly in a store so this may be a silly question:  I’m used to the motif and using the 4 (on the classic) sliders to do exactly what is desired here; I have one of the little Korg nano-controller midi units, would it be feasible to hook that up and map those controls to the part levels?  Granted I’d rather not have to rely on another piece of gear, but I could velcro the tiny thing on and leave it so no biggie :D

In theory, I think that would work if the Nano can be programmed to send sysex from its sliders. Though even this would only have the potential to work in a computer environment, as there is no way to plug the USB Nano controller directly into the MOX. So if you want to use it standalone/live without a computer, you’d have to add something like the iConnectMIDI to do the USB-to-5pin-MIDI conversion.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 30, 2012 @ 08:18 PM
Roadman
Total Posts:  34
Joined  10-21-2012

Worth checking out my long posts with bad mister on here over the few weeks , which covers this in detail. Most recent post today.
I was looking more for simple piano n strings or pad, and ability to control the strings or pad level below the piano. Best solution in my view is to adit a string or pad voice, and have the control assign set so that volume on all elements of the voice are assigned to a controller, I chose MW,as it is easiest to control live, and gives a visual as well as you can see where the wheel is sitting setting wise. You can use any of the controllers you wish. You then save this edited patch in user, then utilise it as part of a performance, where this control setting stays working for that voice only. You need to remember to ensure any other voices in the performance have the MW controller option switched off, so they don’t react to the moving of the MW, this is also a function within performance. As I said, see previous posts and answers for full step by step details.

For control of four sounds volume, setting the performance as a mix/ song is the only way to do it, and it also works, details again previous posts.

It’s the one downside to the mox, no dedicated part volume controllers, an omission by Yamaha, and judging by number of posts on here, one they should correct somehow via an OS Update.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]