mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Earnest and Sincere inquiry re: S70XS"

Posted on: October 07, 2012 @ 08:01 PM
wilsong
Total Posts:  38
Joined  03-07-2009

First of all I love the intelligent design and overall concept of my S70XS...Everything I could want and need is on the unit. I just would like the Acoustic Piano from the S90ES in my keyboard.

Is there anyway possible to somehow retro fit/install a firm ware or software copy of the S90 ES piano into the S70xs.

Even if were a customized update I would certaintly pay for the installation and inclusion of the ES piano..I’ve invested so much time with the instrument and have designed many many sounds for all my performing needs, And while I’ve worked, worked and worked to make the SXS useable for me it seems that all my efforts have been futile...The basic core sound of the piano is basically very hard for me to use. The ES piano is naturally appealing and inspiring to me...I just do not want to make that change and give up all my great S70xs sounds.

So even if it cost a fee and service charge, can I get the ES piano installed in my XS as a customized addition. I truly do believe that many other XS users would likewise be interested in such a customized addition.  One Sound is all I’m asking and if additional voices and performances can be crafted with the ES piano it would be the ultimate update for my great keyboard well worth the upgrade cost.

Please Yamaha consider this option and kindly respon to my request

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 08, 2012 @ 08:41 AM
wilsong
Joined  03-07-2009

I received two crazy responses to my inquiry. Hopefully this will not disuade serious replies to my post. Thank you Motifator Forum

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 08, 2012 @ 12:42 PM
TheDukester
Total Posts:  3345
Joined  01-18-2003

The replies were ‘spam’.

I had the Motif Classic and went to the ES and was able to transfer Voices that I liked from my Classic to the ES. I would ‘like’ to think that the same possibility exists with the S90ES to the S90XS, but I’m not sure.

Perhaps Bad_Mister will chime in and shed some light on this for you. Be patient.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 08, 2012 @ 12:52 PM
wilsong
Joined  03-07-2009

Thanks Dukester...Bad Mister usually has a good, helpful and accurate response.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 08, 2012 @ 01:14 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I assume you know Yamaha has a Motif XF currently in the market, and you can load the S700 piano into its memory - even store it on a FLASH BOARD so it is there when you power up. The sample data that was made by sampling an acoustic Yamaha S700 piano, first appeared in the S80 (back in the late 1990’s) then an expanded version appeared in the S90 (2002) and S90 ES (2005).. It was an extremely popular sound (along with the Power Grand from the original Motif) so much so Yamaha made them available as a download. Not only that they made it a free download for Motif customers.

The main difference between the two series (S-series / Motif-series) is exactly the ability to LOAD your own favorite WAVE data into the Motif series.

The price of a Motif XF plus the Flash Board plus the free download that includes the S700 piano, would be far, far less than a request to have Yamaha build YOU a custom keyboard. I was not even taking that part of your post seriously, I can’t - you have obviously NO IDEA what that would cost (I know I don’t). The fact that it is “just” one sound doesn’t matter - probably makes it even a more bizarre request. Now, it is not my call (at all), but I’m sure anyone would tell you it is simply not possible to build a custom keyboard for any one customer. Don’t know what type of business you are in or if you have an understanding of such things but… That simply is not possible.

the S-series and the Motif-series are cousins. And the way Yamaha addresses your request is by having these two series of synthesizers. Targeting two different customers.

The Motif series is for those that want to customize the wave ROM. Basically an 88 note S-series is about $1000 retail difference from the 88 note Motif-series synth.

Practically speaking, will Yamaha build you a custom keyboard? - well you can make that request directly to the company ( they will tell you what I have):

Your solution is already available it’s called the MOTIF XF8.

That said, we really appreciate your passion for the product, and I’m certain if you have an opportunity to spend time with our flagship synthesizer workstation you will find plenty to like. And if all you need to add is the single S700 piano from the S90 ES you will be delighted with the Motif XF

It not only allows you to customize the wave ROM, it has other expansion options as well.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 08, 2012 @ 05:42 PM
wilsong
Joined  03-07-2009

Thank You Mr. C ( Bad Mister) for the enlightenment. After reading your answer I’m fully informed about the enormity and unreality of my request. Regarding my options, it seems that there is only the one feasible answer/solution which you stated above. Thank You Again. Will have to make a decision.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 08, 2012 @ 07:10 PM
TheDukester
Total Posts:  3345
Joined  01-18-2003

I’m confused. I ‘thought’ he wanted to take a couple of his S90 ES Voices and put them in S70 XS workstation.

I am looking for a used XS and would ‘like’ to convert some of my ES Voices into it and likewise load them into my S90 XS. They are Voices I have ‘customized’ in the ES and use as ‘Users’ that I am comfortable and fond of (like that ‘Bad_Mister’ single element Voice)and though I’m sure I could edit existing Voices to my liking, I would rather just ‘add’them to an XS User Bank and go about my day.

Do I have a shortage in understanding or is this indeed possible?
Just asking.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 08, 2012 @ 07:32 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

I’m confused. I ‘thought’ he wanted to take a couple of his S90 ES Voices and put them in S70 XS workstation.

No, there is a particular “favorite” piano in the S90 ES - a sample of one of those hand-crafted $250,000 Yamaha S700 acoustic grand pianos - it is the number one piano Voice in the S80, S90 and S90 ES (as mentioned above). It one of those favorites that is not in the newer S70XS/S90XS… the S-series does not have the ability to load samples. So it is not a matter of simply loading the VOICE parameters, it is a matter of the actual WAVE ROM of the S90 ES is totally different from the newer S70 XS/S90 XS. The OP was talking about a PRESET Voice

Your situation is a matter of just loading USER VOICES, not Preset data (not Samples).

You can load S90 ES ‘Voice Editor’ files (.S7E), S90 ES ‘ALL VOICE’ Files (.S7V) and S90 ES ‘ALL’ data files (.S7A) into the S90XS/S70XS directly.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 08, 2012 @ 10:59 PM
wilsong
Joined  03-07-2009

Everything is crystal clear now...Actually the other poster and myself were talking about the same thing. I used the term “one voice” not very accuratley..To ask for one sound program would be NUTS (LOL). I actually meant the S700 wave sample. In either case.... it cannot be done on the “S” so case closed. Thanks again for your patience in explaining everything. We go way back to 48th street in New York and I have purchased many Yamaha products after discussions with you. I’m sure that you have addressed this subject regarding the Sxs piano to the point of annoyance but please know that many musicians truly appreciate your trying to help and hopefully the Yamaha Corporation has received feedback you have given them on this matter.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 09, 2012 @ 10:15 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

I don’t really get exhausted by the questions. Not at all… even over and over. I try and take each individual as an individual with a question rather than get exhausted. If you remember me from 48th St. it was an endless stream of individual musicians who streamed through the doors - no time to get tired. Each musician came through the door with a musical malady and the job was to connect them with the solution - the gear was the musical cure! Nothing is more rewarding then having them come back and tell you how they are now enjoying making music.

Besides: Questions/Answers are actually what the participation in Forums is all about.

That particular S700 piano has quite a history and it is a favorite, we all get this. But it was created more than fourteen years ago now. It launched S80 back in 1999…

Yamaha is principally a piano-centric company. And fortunately for those of us who work with synthesizers, there is a huge focus on the piano in every aspect of its existence. This includes not only the acoustic instruments, but in the development of cutting edge electronic solutions… not to replace the acoustic instrument but to continue the enjoyment of music at all economic levels.

In history the pianoforte was truly an instrument that was only for the very, very (very) rich. I doubt that pubs back in the 1600’s had piano’s over in the corner - it was only for the landed gentry and only found in chamber rooms and parlors of the very rich.  And as the real fine acoustic instrument now approaches and can easily exceed the $100,000 range - there are plenty of reasons to have electronic alternatives. Many piano companies are not as dedicated as Yamaha in the development of both acoustic and electronic alternatives.

There has been an evolution of the main piano. And as technology got better so did the creation of the main sound. Of course, that means that some people felt like we abandoned a particular favorite sound - and we hear about that. “How could you leave out xyz?” and so on…

(I still compare all new pianos with a spectacular piano sample set from back in the A-series Sampler days, it was only 2.5Mb but wow!!!!)

But we don’t anticipate that most of our customers buy every single new product. In fact musicians tend to keep their gear FAR FAR too long for the bean counters… this is reality. So should we really keep the same piano sound in every product? Or should we just stop developing new technologies to capture the instrument’s beauty. The S90 ES came out in 2005… should we have stopped development? (Of course not)

Motif XF you can get most all the “favorite” sounds of the Motif, Motif ES, S90 ES, etc, in a sample library and load the ones you like - that is and has long been the dream. Plus Yamaha made the older principal pianos available in a free download!!! Can’t beat that with a stick :-)

If you have not seen (or played) the latest Yamaha CFX (acoustic piano) - well, what can I say other than, you should.
I heard the first products that include data from this acoustic instrument (the CFX) and all I can say is, wow. Yamaha NU1 Hybrid - Wow! 

Yamaha keeps moving forward…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 09, 2012 @ 07:58 PM
wilsong
Joined  03-07-2009

Great information !!! When you have insights into whats behind the technology you not only increase your knowledge but your appreciation as well. I hope that many other viewers get to read all of your post under this thread. Thanks Again.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Performance mode to MIDI
Next Topic:

transfering performance from s90sx to Motif-rack xs ››