mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "s90XS master"

Posted on: September 28, 2012 @ 11:33 AM
Johnnyack
Total Posts:  27
Joined  09-28-2012

Can’t seem to find the forum for the S90XS.  Hope I don’t offend anyone using this forum.
I’ve read, and re-read the “Understanding Master Mode” and I’m not getting it.  Here is the big question I have… I’m a performing musician in a band our sets are about 10 songs each. is there a benefit using Master Mode V.S. Performance Mode?
**ie: one song is stored in Performance A-001. keyboard is split in 4 sections w/ horns, strings, piano and guitar.  Would I be better off using a master for this?
Thanks much,
John

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2012 @ 11:56 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Welcome to the forum.

I doubt anyone will be offended by your posting to the XF forum, but if you want to ask your question in the S90 one, it’s here:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/index.php/viewforum/163/

Is your S90XS being used stand-alone, or is it controlling any other gear?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2012 @ 11:57 AM
Johnnyack
Joined  09-28-2012

Thank you!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2012 @ 12:05 PM
TheDukester
Total Posts:  3345
Joined  01-18-2003

There were ‘issues’ with the SNinety site and so it has been moved there to Motifator.

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewforum/163/

As to your issue and inquiry. It is always difficult to tell someone what is ‘better’ for the way ‘they’ work. I too use the S90XS as my ‘hands on’ keyboard and interfaced with a Motif ES 6. I do use Master Mode for my live performance. The difference between your situation and mine is I work ‘Solo’. For ‘me’ there are advantages and disadvantages working exclusively in Master Mode, just as there are differences between Performance Mode, which you can ‘Store’ to a Master, or work the Performance ‘stand alone’.

There isn’t enough information for me to go further not knowing ‘how you want to do things’.

**ie: one song is stored in Performance A-001. keyboard is split in 4 sections w/ horns, strings, piano and guitar.  Would I be better off using a master for this?

There are things to consider here in this scenario. For ‘this’ in the scheme of your band, it could be just all you need. Where the ‘consideration’ comes in is ‘what’s next’?

For ‘me’, Master Mode is an easy way of organizing the ‘combinations’ you and your band are performing. Short of knowing ‘exactly’ where everything you want to use ‘is’, Master Mode allows you to Store a series of Performances, Voices or Mixes consistent with your ‘Sets’ or General Repertoire and access them quickly.

Off hand, I ‘think’ you need to get a firm handle on the use of ‘Zones’. Once you understand ‘Zones’ and how you can apply them in each Master, then you will find whether they are an advantage of disadvantage to what you and your band are doing. I had my issues with Master Mode for years until I nailed it down using the S90 XS. Necessity was the ‘Mother of Understanding and Application’ (LOL). What I wanted to do could best be accomplished through Master Mode.

Sit down and make a plan or outline for what your band is doing and how ‘you’ can fulfill ‘your’ part effectively. Your sets. Your songs. What is it ‘you’ need quick access to. AND....take some time to understand the concept of ZONES. That will play an important part in you choice of operation.
Just a thought.....Hope this Helps....Good Work!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2012 @ 12:58 PM
Johnnyack
Joined  09-28-2012

Can’t thank you enough for the input.  As I understand it what might be a good idea is to get the set lists prior to the gig, then set up the masters in sequence from song 1 - song 12 in the set and do that for each set.  So in essence I’ll have about

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 11, 2012 @ 05:40 AM
S70xs_user
Total Posts:  60
Joined  09-02-2012

Here is the definitive article on using Master Mode

http://files.keyfax.com/download/S90XS/XS_MasterMode.pdf

I use Master heaps, for set lists as you have discussed, and also the Zones for true master controller setups.

Master Mode is a fantastic feature well worth learning to use properly.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ S90XS vs Motif XS and Alesis QS8.1
Next Topic:

Master Mode VS Performance ››