mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Pitch bend issue…"

Posted on: September 24, 2012 @ 01:58 PM
emilloparski
Total Posts:  4
Joined  12-27-2010

Hello, everyone at motifator,

I have my XS7 from 3 years already, and I have this issue from the day one.

As you can see on the midi graphic it shows that the pitch bend
doesn’t start from the middle (zero) before I touch it, it is not a constant
situation that it starts with sometimes with more sometimes with less difference but always in MINUS… you can see that in that case it didnt go to the middle after releasing it, but sometimes it goes to the middle..

It was at Yamaha service 2 times for cleaning that area, and first time it actually helped for a while then again…

Today, as I was playing some lead it started going out of tune without even touching it, and when I did touch it it kinda went on the 0 and went on tune again…

Is it possible the problem to be somewhere else not at the pitch, cause sometimes it really goes out of tune without using the pitch at all…

Thanks

Image Attachments
xs.JPG
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 24, 2012 @ 02:21 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Yes. We have documented cases where the pitch issue was fixed by changing the seating position of the player. Here is what was happening:

The complaint would be similar to yours: pitch problems but only intermittently - some times associated with use of either the PB Wheel and/or the Mod Wheel. The unit goes to the shop is “fixed” for awhile, then since it was intermittent in the first place, no one can tell if the cleaning and service call did any good. At any rate the problem inevitably returns.

It is not in all cases and the tuning issue does not occur on all Voices.

Sound familiar? I asked the person to document when this was occuring and the issue was quickly identified and solved. This may or may not be your problem, only you will be able to tell…

But one of the culprit Voices was the “Classic Guitar AF1&2;”, another was the “Violin Solo 1” - it quickly became apparent the player was inadvertantly touching the RIBBON CONTROLLER assigned to either COARSE or FINE TUNING.

Either the heel of the left hand touched the Ribbon while they were operating the PB Wheel, Mod Wheel, or the sleeve of their shirt, a button on a jacket… etc.  as I mentioned this may or may not be your issue, but I’ve seen enough people unaware that the RIBBON can at times be assigned to pitch altering or timbre altering parameters - and they are totally unaware that resting your hand on the Ribbon is detuning their instrument.

The PB Wheel calibration would be done by any authorized service center and they can easily report on whether your wheel is out of alignment - that would be easy enough for them to deal with (and would be a highly unusual malady for the synth). If your unit was indeed sending a PB value other than +0000 when the Wheel is released, that would show up on one of the routine TESTs. Was this reported as the problem by the service people when they returned the unit to you?

Let us know. Hope it helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 24, 2012 @ 02:39 PM
emilloparski
Total Posts:  4
Joined  12-27-2010

Hello, Bad Mister!

Thank you for the quick answer. However the picture that I attached is midi using PC VST’s and that I think has nothing to do with the ribbon, it’s basically I’m pressing the Record Button using only the keyboard from XS and as soon it starts recording, without even put my hand on the keys or pitch it starts writing minus numbers in the pitch area…

cause if the pitch is on the zero there is no controller data, if it’s aside...there is data to record?

So I suppose it is a calibration issue?

Thanks,
Emil

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 24, 2012 @ 04:26 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

It also could be a MIDI routing issue. For example, if MIDI remote control messages get mixed in with the primary MIDI communication bus, this can cause pitch anomalies. Double check your MIDI port assignments.

...If you are going to be thorough.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif XS and MPC Play Start Lag
Next Topic:

Please i need Yamaha SQ01 ››