mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Any Chance for New Updates on Motif XF"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: September 21, 2012 @ 04:25 PM
vaitheeswaran
Total Posts:  2
Joined  07-01-2012

Am new to MOTIFATOR.. i want to know that is there any chance to release any new updated version of Yamaha MOTIF XF?

Am using a Korg TR workstation now. but planning to take Motif XF 88 as soon as possible…

Why I asked the question?! , because Korg has release KronosX version. It has double sized 72GB SSD and it can load custom samples also. And there are third party libraries started for Korg. Its not a problem. Yamaha quoted a sentence on Motif XF that it got the highest wave rom, but look at Korg KronosX.

One more thing to add that there are so many libraries available for Computer based samplers like Kontakt. What a realism on strings,drums, electronic , acoustic guitars etc. Is it possible to get such a realism from Motif XF? Because those libraries have size in GBs.

Finally am a Great fan of MOTIF XF8. I will definitely buy one soon and am ready to work to get good quality custom samples on Motif.

Have a Good Day.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 21, 2012 @ 06:01 PM
clipnotic
Total Posts:  4
Joined  09-21-2012

Hello, I’m new to Motifator, too :)

I’m from Germany and my english is not the best but I try as good as I can, so sorry for mistakes!

I registered here because I’m interested in the Motif XF and I took a long time, to compare the Motif with the Kronos. And that’s the reason I’m posting my answer here in that thread.

I’m an litte electro musician and first it looks like a Kronos would be a good choice for a musician like me, because of its huge SSD Drive for samples, syntheses and Karma ... and yes, I mostly program my sounds myself, too and don’t use loops ...

But the reason that meanwhile I prefer the Motif XF is, that the Kronos has very bad hardware. I don’t want start a discussion “Kronos vs Motif” here but my own personal reasons to not buy a Kronos are:

- bad display
- bad sequencer
- bad Korg support
- still OS bugs
- unreliably
- not trustable
- Kronos to KronosX Upgrade is a bad joke
- Kronos sequencer vs Krome piano roll is ridiculous
... and much more

So the Kronos has more possibilities and more features on the datasheet but the rest of that machine is a joke for me.

And I really hope that Yamaha will not follow the same strategy! For me Yamaha is the last company which could really create a game changer WITH reliability! And I think I’m not alone with that hope?

But I have the same problem like written in the thread title here:

Nobody knows what happens in the future?

I like to buy a Motif XF but I don’t want to pay 3.000 EUR now and perhaps in some months Yamaha will present a new Motif with more polyphony for example ... ? 128 Voices really aren’t very much especially for a machine which has so many great sounds and good 3rd Party soundsets!

There are many wonderful soundsets available for the Motif XF and I have enough syntheses and plugins on my PC DAW setup. But a workstation with very good acoustic sounds AND good editable synth sounds AND good DAW integration (not only for VST3 DAWs!) is something that I’m missing in my setup and for that I still have the money in my pocket!

So my question is, too:

What’s the next Motif and when will it arrive? I think it’s time for news!! :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2012 @ 03:45 PM
vaitheeswaran
Total Posts:  2
Joined  07-01-2012

Thank you very much for your valuable comment.... I think we are in the same wave length…

Then a hardware synth is more reliable than a software one with computer setups. And Korg Kronos is actually having an intel atom processor for processing. The linux based OS on the Kronos is doing the rest.

Abrupt changes in the Product lineup is a bad thing. I think yamaha wont do that. Any ways am going to take the Motif XF 8.

I expect more suggestions and comments.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2012 @ 05:06 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
vaitheeswaran - 28 September 2012 03:45 PM

[...] Korg Kronos is actually having an intel atom processor for processing. The linux based OS on the Kronos is doing the rest.

The Motif is based on a Toshiba 64-bit MIPS RISC processor…
http://www.motifator.com/index.php?ACT=39&fid=108&aid=16009_zrYwhggSs0trxwWvAlhh&board_id=1

...running MontaVista Linux…
http://staging.mvista.com/download/fetchdoc.php?docid=28
...but should a purchase be decided on that?

vaitheeswaran -

I expect more suggestions and comments.

May I suggest that how the synths being considered sound, and if they have features you want, might be more important than what’s “under the hood”?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2012 @ 02:06 AM
bonivyr
Total Posts:  141
Joined  11-15-2011

Motif XF : Maximum operating frequency (for the
CPU): 400 MHz

KRONOS : Intel Atom 1.6GHz x 2 cores

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2012 @ 09:37 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
bonivyr - 29 September 2012 02:06 AM

Motif XF : Maximum operating frequency (for the
CPU): 400 MHz

KRONOS : Intel Atom 1.6GHz x 2 cores

I usually don’t respond to someone who is about as credible as their member profile (which currently indicates ownership of just about every Yamaha product listed). However, some members new to Motifator might actually be concerned about the above.

A faster processor does get you something. I can definitely hear the effect it has on the sound of a Kronos, which has a noisy fan that’s needed to cool the otherwise too-hot-running electronics.

In a dedicated application, having more processing power than needed to do the job is sort of like having an extra thumb. :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2012 @ 09:55 AM
bonivyr
Joined  11-15-2011

IPHONE 3G 2008 - 620 MHz

MOTIF XF - 400 MHz )

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2012 @ 10:51 AM
Jote
Total Posts:  1549
Joined  07-29-2002

Yup, you definitely need at least 620 MHz to run so-called “World’s Most Advanced Mobile Operating System” + farting apps and Instagram for creative baristas.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2012 @ 01:04 AM
chilly
Total Posts:  738
Joined  05-05-2008
vaitheeswaran - 21 September 2012 04:25 PM

Am new to MOTIFATOR.. i want to know that is there any chance to release any new updated version of Yamaha MOTIF XF?

Am using a Korg TR workstation now. but planning to take Motif XF 88 as soon as possible…

Why I asked the question?! , because Korg has release KronosX version. It has double sized 72GB SSD and it can load custom samples also. And there are third party libraries started for Korg. Its not a problem. Yamaha quoted a sentence on Motif XF that it got the highest wave rom, but look at Korg KronosX.

One more thing to add that there are so many libraries available for Computer based samplers like Kontakt. What a realism on strings,drums, electronic , acoustic guitars etc. Is it possible to get such a realism from Motif XF? Because those libraries have size in GBs.

Finally am a Great fan of MOTIF XF8. I will definitely buy one soon and am ready to work to get good quality custom samples on Motif.

Have a Good Day.

Just read my 5th post in this thread http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/458137/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 01, 2012 @ 01:58 AM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010
5pinDIN - 29 September 2012 09:37 AM

In a dedicated application, having more processing power than needed to do the job is sort of like having an extra thumb. :-)

LOL :-) - the best reply so far to the perennial complainer.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 01, 2012 @ 04:07 AM
bonivyr
Joined  11-15-2011

prog/perf change - reset sound ,

on/off master or insert fx - disruption sound ,

Scroll the list of performances so sloooooooooooooow ,

400 MHz is sufficient for a modern workstation ? )

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 04, 2012 @ 04:29 AM
clipnotic
Joined  09-21-2012
bonivyr - 01 October 2012 04:07 AM

prog/perf change - reset sound ,

on/off master or insert fx - disruption sound ,

Scroll the list of performances so sloooooooooooooow ,

400 MHz is sufficient for a modern workstation ? )

@bonivyr:

I read many threads here and it seems you are a big Kronos lover?

A big mistake of workstations users often is, that they only compare with other workstations and not with the whole gear market and nowadays possibilities and alternatives.

So if I would do it like you, bonivyr, well:

My 3 years old buisness notebook which cost 800 EUR has much more CPU, RAM and HD power than the Kronos. And a 17” display, too!

My 4 years old studio pc has much more power than my notebook, so it has much much ... more power than the Kronos!

If I turn my notebook and my studio pc on together, you will hear nothing. But if you turn on a Kronos, it’s like the cleaning woman works with her vacuum cleaner!

On my studio pc I have circa 200 VST plugins installed and 700 GB samples. This all is spread at 2 x 1 TB HDs. So I still have more space on my 4 years old studio pc than at a fresh new Kronos!

OK, if I compare the Kronos with the 300 EUR netbook my boss bought for about 2 years, the Kronos could have a little bit more power but only a little little bit! ;)

Well, to be fair, let’s compare the Kronos with other modern music hardware, too. So, let’s look at the Feeltune Rhizome for example:

http://en.feeltune.com/products.html

With the Feeltune Rhizome you have a whole Core i7 System in a small and flat designed space-saving quiet box. The Kronos is a big and loud tanker with a lot less power.

If you need better or other hardware components in a Rhizome you can call the Feeltune support and you will get it for money. This is not possible with the Kronos, why, it’s just a netbook??

If you will have an idea and post that idea in the Feeltune forum, you will get fast answer directly from the developer / manufacturer and often they upgrade their machine with that user ideas, too! Korg has a very bad support quality and ignores its customers since many years constantly! And please, don’t bring up that ridiculous and pointless Korg facebook questionnaire.

In the Feeltune Rhizome you can install your own VST plugins and your own DAW (Cubase, Ableton ... ), too! In the Kronos you have to work with the same quite antiquated buggy OS like in the Oasys and Korg Triton and with the Korg Legacy sound quality, too!

My 1993 built Roland JD990 never crashed and still works very fine. How is it with the Kronos?

OK, let’s have a break. If you want I can give you more comparisons like that. That’s no problem because the Kronos offers many arguments! :)

Yamaha workstation update:

But of course, the Motif needs an update:

- more User Voices / User banks
- more User arpeggios and better editable / flexible arp
- some more sequencer features, a piano roll would be great
- additional to the arp Karma inside would be great, too
- a faster but quiet CPU solution

But it doesn’t need an cheap and clumsy netbook update like the Kronos!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 04, 2012 @ 08:30 AM
sciuriware
Total Posts:  9999
Joined  08-18-2003

Some of the posters here don’t have a clue about computers:

A dedicated CPU running 500MHz is faster than a ‘universal’ CPU
in your PC running 3GHz.
A mainframe running at 300MHz is still faster.

If you’ve never heard of processor interrupts,
page failures or asynchronous traps, then just believe me.

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 04, 2012 @ 08:52 AM
clipnotic
Joined  09-21-2012
sciuriware - 04 October 2012 08:30 AM

Some of the posters here don’t have a clue about computers:

A dedicated CPU running 500MHz is faster than a ‘universal’ CPU
in your PC running 3GHz.
A mainframe running at 300MHz is still faster.

If you’ve never heard of processor interrupts,
page failures or asynchronous traps, then just believe me.

;JOOP!

Yes, that’s true and a universal CPU has much more and different work to do in a pc system, too. ...

But a universal Core i7 system is assuredly more powerful than a universal Atom System and a Atom CPU is not really a dedicated CPU or !? If it would be, the Kronos would have much more polyphony !? :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 04, 2012 @ 10:49 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

I suspect most of us can agree that a Motif XF replacement will probably be available in 2013, and that it will likely have a faster/more-powerful CPU and new features. It’s possible that it won’t have the very latest Intel (or other) processor, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

There are several factors that drive choice of parts that go into a product. Some products have a short design/development cycle. A synthesizer isn’t one of them. That means parts such as the CPU are typically chosen years before the final product is announced. That gives the designers time to build and test prototypes so they can be confident that the released version is trustworthy.

One of the reasons I buy Yamaha gear is that it tends to be reliable. I’d rather a company use a part that has proven itself, even if it doesn’t perform quite as well as the latest part with an insufficient “track record”.

Now I’m going to get back to doing other things, such as making music. “Tech” can be fun, but “art” is really what a synth is all about.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 04, 2012 @ 11:18 AM
sciuriware
Total Posts:  9999
Joined  08-18-2003

Agreed, and .........

.... what really counts is the resulting product:
If you don’t like it, all inside technology is wasted on you.

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ For any Jethro Tull fans
Next Topic:

Where Are My Private Messages? ››