mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Noisy FC7 expression pedal"

Posted on: September 01, 2012 @ 04:56 PM
RobinVT
Total Posts:  210
Joined  01-16-2012

Hi all,
I purchased my new XF7 in March of this year and have been having fun listening to all the great voices and trying to pick out the best ones that will fit my band’s tunes and setting it up for live performances.  While I started putting together the mixes I decided to use my FC7 pedal for the master volume of the keyboard, but I have noticed that I get a static, crackling sound in about 3 locations when I go minimum volume to full volume and holding down a single note or chord.  The same kind of noise you would get from a dirty potentiometer on an analogue volume pedal. 

Is there an easy fix to this problem or should I return the pedal to Yamaha for a replacement? Any ideas?  I am not familiar with the electronics of this pedal and I don’t want to dig into it if I can return it for a replacement.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2012 @ 05:29 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
robinvt - 01 September 2012 04:56 PM

Is there an easy fix to this problem or should I return the pedal to Yamaha for a replacement? Any ideas?  I am not familiar with the electronics of this pedal and I don’t want to dig into it if I can return it for a replacement.

I have been through this several times with FC7 pedals.  The pots do go bad, get dirty, or wires come un-soldered.  Usually it doesn’t happen that soon though.

If the pedal is still under warranty, get a new one!

If it isn’t, you can easily change out the pot yourself.  The part is called Rotary VR 500k FC7, and the part number is HS412490.

Go to yamaha24x7.com

You will need to register to use the site.  The replacement pots are $4.78 each, I would buy at least a couple with an eye to the future.  These will wear out sooner than anything else on the pedal.

Taking apart the pedal is pretty simple and straightforward, just pay close attention to how the pieces will re-assemble.  Also, just so you know, this repair will require soldering the leads onto the new pot.

This part is the only electronic part in the pedal if I recall correctly.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2012 @ 05:45 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011

By locations, do you mean voices?  As I recall this is present in some of the organ voices. I always figured it was part of the emulation of the sound. Usually if a pedal is crapping out it does it with all voices. Thanks for the part number cmayle.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2012 @ 05:47 PM
RobinVT
Joined  01-16-2012

Thanks cmayhle!  I better buy some extras, I plan on keeping this a while no matter if a new synth comes out!  I just love this instrument.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2012 @ 08:18 PM
RobinVT
Joined  01-16-2012

All voices.

[ Ignore ]