mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "I need some direction on upgrading hardware"

Posted on: August 30, 2012 @ 07:40 PM
Kasper615
Total Posts:  4
Joined  08-21-2012

What’s up everyone? I need a couple suggestions. I have an MPC 5000 along with a Yamaha Motif XF and the old school Roland Fantom-S. They are routed through the original Mackie Onyx 1620 analog mixer and integrated through a Steinberg CI2 which connects through a PC (Windows 7 64-bit) to Cubase 5 via USB. What I want to do is increase the workflow. I have to record each track into Cubase one-at-a-time with way I have it setup through the analog mixer and CI 2.

I would like to set up the DAW and equipment to where I can arm multiple channels and record multiple tracks at once so I can knock out these tracks much quicker. I want to center my equipment around the XF, slave the MPC and Fantom to the Motif and Motif to PC.

What would you guys recommend for the best avenue of approach? Maybe a DAW control surface or new audio interface? Or maybe route the MPC and Fantom through the mixer and have the mixer outs routed through the Motif A/D input and then firewired to the PC? Maybe the FW16E expansion board for the Motif? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. the MPC has 8 assignable outs along with L/R master outs, Fantom 4 outs (2 stereo or 4 mono)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2012 @ 02:37 AM
MikeHuntingford
Total Posts:  758
Joined  11-22-2009

Ok, I had a similar setup as you.  I also wanted the ability to record multiple tracks in my DAW.  I ended up getting a new audio interface.  For me, I use a MOTU Audio Express and I am now recording 6 tracks at a time (which really helps when I want to have greater control over the mix and applying effects to individual tracks versus the stereo mix that your mixer produces).

My connection to my MOTU Audio Express is as follows, I have 2 x 1/4 TRS (balanced) connected to the L and R audio out of one of my Yamaha keyboards, and then another 2 x 1/4 TRS (balanced) connected to my other Yamaha keyboards L and R audio out, and then SPDIF out from my Korg M3 Rack to the MOTU’s SPDIF in.  Currently connected to PC from the MOTU via USB 2.0 (but also supports Firewire 400 too).  My DAW (Propellerhead’s REASON and RECORD) see the MOTU ASIO and permit track selection from sources Analog 1/2/3/4 and SPDIF (stereo).

Hope that helps.

Mike

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2013 @ 02:36 AM
DaGroove
Total Posts:  2
Joined  01-07-2013

Am about to buy MOTU AUDIO EXPRESS soon..So one thing i dont know is whats the best way to connect with KorgM3 (rack) using SPDIF.
I have tried test SPDIF on my old EMU0404 that has an optical digtal (in-out) and it sounds great but i can not control the volume slider (as the manual says also). I have set from Global M3 as Internal and EMU AUDIO CARD as SPDIF external 48KHZ. the thing is i can listen audio, play midi and record notes but for a reason i dont know but there are only notes written… Does spdif can t heard with Logic or its just my old EMU card please?
Does anyone tried connect M3 to a Motu audio exprees via spdif? I ve seen maudio co2 converter but does anyone tried?

Thank you

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2013 @ 03:20 AM
MikeHuntingford
Total Posts:  758
Joined  11-22-2009

Hi DaGroove,

I had my SPDIF, which was an optical cable, connected from my M3R to I/O outbox of my X-Fi soundcard.  The SPDIF connector on the MOTU Audio Express (which I also own) is the co-axial type connector.  As you know, the M3R has only the optical connector - or 1/4” TRS Balanced or Unbalanced connectors x 4.

The MOTU Audio Express comes with a software mixer that controls the volume of all INs - regardless of type.  Also, the volume can also be controlled via the dials on the MOTU Audio Express.  Since I dumped my X-Fi Soundcard for my Firewire connected MOTU Express, I have my M3M connected to the MOTU Audio Express via 1/4” TRS (Main Outs L/R) so that I can control volume by either the volume control on the Korg or on the MOTU Audio Express.  This is helpful, as I also use a controller keyboard to control more than one module/other synth.  I can easily, this way, use the Korg volume switch to turn on/off/up/down the volume of the Korg M3M. The sound produced / handled by the Audio Express is impressive - lots of headroom and literally no latency or noise on the channels. You can listen to my music (all multi-tracked audio) and hear no noise and plenty of room. SPIDF sounds great through the Soundblaster X-Fi, but only sound volume was controllable via the X-Fi software mixer.

I would recommend using the M3M analog 1/4 outs - into the MOTU Audio Express as its AD/DA converters are top-notch.  Like I mentioned - no latency and no noise with plenty of headroom.

Hope this helps,
Mike

I would connect

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2013 @ 01:13 PM
DaGroove
Total Posts:  2
Joined  01-07-2013

Hi Mike

Thank you for all info. Totally agree with 1/4” TRS (Main Outs L/R) . You have more advantages like you can control the volume of M3 send and receive midi notes and export as audio tracks and everything is just great. i use analog too. I have done a lot of projects and the sound is great.
As for the SPDIF connection should be more better if you have a good setup, but with many disadvantages lke the volume control and the only two channels at stereo. Am sure MOTU Audio express has ad-da converters on top....
I have connected my M3 through my EMU0404 usb and it sounds great but when you play some chords on M3 pads or mid notes you have some scratch and noise. Although thats a very serious problem to me. I think is my old EMU0404 that gives the problem.... bad latency noise and small issues
I have tried and record with SPDIF into Logic but still having that small noise scratch distort things(maybe my card) but sound is great. What I ve done to make it work with Logic is
First of all
*from m3 SPDIF OUT (optical) to EMU0404 SPDIF IN with an optical cable

*Set sample rates at 48khz from my soundcard

*M3 Global CLOCK leave it as an internal emu set to SPDIF mode.

*I open logic and create an external midi channel. Go to Library (Logic) and select M3 as an instrument
*Go Logic-Preferences-Midi-Sync -Midi sync project settings-Audio and change sample rates to 48.000. Ok now am able to listen with SPDIF but can not record into Logic
*Go to Logic Mixer and in Options create new auxilliary channel strips. In this new auxilliary channell I change the format from Mono to STEREO. Input and set to Input 3-4 and Output 1-2. Thats it. Go to mixer and in Aux 1 turn it on and set the volume at center level.Ok now am able to record midi and audio at 48khz
The only problem is that i cant control the volume from Korg but as i saw Motu audio express has a very good mixer software so I can set the volume from there. As i tried to record on SPDIF with emu0404 i had the same small issues noise like i had with 1/4” TRS (Main Outs L/R).
Anyway analog is more useful than digital and if you want to record digit then you need to spend some more and buy EXB-FW which is good but make sure to know what happens with all parameters on m3.
Let me know if you had the same issues with me before you upgrade to motu audio express

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Newbie: Motif XF Recording 101
Next Topic:

harmonizing after looping ››