mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "mLan/Firewire drivers for new Mac"

Posted on: August 18, 2012 @ 01:18 PM
HaonMusic
Total Posts:  13
Joined  02-15-2012

Hi guys, I’m having quite a disaster right now. I bought a new Macbook Pro, and Cubase 6.5 in hope of doing some great audio recording. I haven’t got the Cubase 6.5 yet, so I wanted to try out my Cubase ai4 and the Motif xs8 with the new computer.

My problem comes with using the mLan for it. Ive installed most of the necessary drivers, with the exception being a few that wont finish installing. As the installation wraps up, it says “Installation Failed. The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail.” This happens for the mLan tools driver. It shows up in my applications, but not my system tray. When I open it, it opens and displays in the system tray briefly, then says “String.endapp” and closes.

I’ve contacted apple and they couldn’t help me, but I got the hint that this is because of the driver not being updated for OS X 10.8, which is what my computer came pre-installed with. The driver on yamaha’s website specifically says it is for OS X 10.5, 10.6 and 10.7, but not 10.8 considering it has only been out for a while(4 weeks, I think). I have heard yamaha is slow for updating drivers, and I really need to start recording, so I have the following questions:

1) Is the mLan tools driver as well as the yamaha AI driver outdated?
2) Can I use another driver in its place, and will it work the same (as in as easily) as the mLan driver?
3) Should I just get an audio interface, if so is it like the mLan set up (recording midi, hearing the notes)?
4) I could get Windows 7 and dual boot it on the mac since there are drivers that support it, but I have a feeling that would just throw more complications into the matter. If the other ways above don’t work, is this the best way?

Also, I’m having trouble finding a Mac OS guide to hooking up the motif to cubase, can anyone link one if such a thing exists?

Thanks in advance!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 18, 2012 @ 08:21 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36648
Joined  07-30-2002

My problem comes with using the mLan for it. Ive installed most of the necessary drivers, with the exception being a few that wont finish installing

That will not do. You are not going to be successful proceeding as you are. I highly recommend that you stop.

1) Is the mLan tools driver as well as the yamaha AI driver outdated?

Yes. Completely (since 2007), it will not run on your current operating system.

You want to uninstall the mLAN Tools and the AI Driver completely - if you want to use the XS’s FireWire, download and install the YAMAHA STEINBERG FW ASIO DRIVER for Mac computers - for the most recent Mac operating systems.

If you are running Mountain Lion, then you should at least attempt to load the most recent version of the FireWire drivers (not those that worked for Macs from 2003-2007)

Testing of drivers is going on now, this doesn’t mean they will not work...doesn’t mean they will work. Some are reporting success (I try never to buy a computer with a brand-new, nothing-works-with-it-yet, operating system) It will probably work unless, of course, Apple broke something or some incompatibility raises its head (wouldn’t be the first time, nor the last).

If your computer came with 10.8 installed, you may have to patient while music software catches up to the changes. Sometimes it is a seamless transition - sometimes it is not. Testing of drivers is not taken lightly by any of the music manufacturers. If you are adventurous and have some experience, I’d say go for. If you are not, then I’d recommend you spend the time learning to work your Motif XS and wait until fully tested drivers are officially announced.

Hope that helps (uninstall mLAN that will not work, that I can tell you).
Get the Yamaha Steinberg FW driver.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 19, 2012 @ 05:53 PM
HaonMusic
Total Posts:  13
Joined  02-15-2012

Thanks for clearing that up Bad Mister.  I didn’t realize it came with the newest OS and was quite worried when I found out. I’ll give it a try and if it doesn’t work out, I’ll get an audio interface and try that while keeping an eye out for an updated driver. Good to hear Yamaha is checking it out, I figured a firewire driver for an older workstation was pretty low on their priority list.

Thanks again!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2012 @ 06:07 AM
uli_p
Total Posts:  53
Joined  03-02-2007

Hello HaOnMusic,

did you try the Yamaha Steinberg Firewire Driver with Mountain Lion yet and how did it work out?

I am asking, because I may forced to upgrade to Mountain Lion. I currently use Lion (10.7.5) which runs fine audiowise with my Motif XS 8, the YSFW Firewire driver and REAPER as my DAW.  Unfortunately I have trouble in other areas that I hope to be solving by upgrading to mountain lion.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Uli

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2012 @ 06:17 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  5452
Joined  09-16-2010
uli_p - 30 September 2012 06:07 AM

[...] I may forced to upgrade to Mountain Lion. I currently use Lion (10.7.5) which runs fine audiowise with my Motif XS 8, the YSFW Firewire driver and REAPER as my DAW.  Unfortunately I have trouble in other areas that I hope to be solving by upgrading to mountain lion.[...]

If you have problems, you might try a Google search on “dual boot mountain lion” (without the quotation marks), and see if that offers an acceptable workaround.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2012 @ 06:56 AM
alanb
Total Posts:  251
Joined  02-15-2009

YAMAHA STEINBERG FW ASIO DRIVER for Mac computers ......where is this driver....I can’t find it on the Yamaha site

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2012 @ 07:10 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36648
Joined  07-30-2002

http://Download.yamaha.com

Select your country
Type in your Model Name: Motif XF8
Confirm when Search Results appear: Motif XF8
You can refine your search with your computer OS and language.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 10, 2013 @ 11:11 AM
aviation504
Total Posts:  9
Joined  12-07-2013

is that the drivers YAMAHA STEINBERG FW ASIO DRIVER work for mLa16E installed on motif ES on mountain lion,

otherwise
is mLAN drivers work in Lion?
tanks

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Sampling Question
Next Topic:

Motif XS Midi Thru Issue ››