mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Newbie: Motif XF Recording 101"

Posted on: August 06, 2012 @ 04:52 PM
craigers01
Total Posts:  21
Joined  07-25-2012

I want to use my Motif XF8 to record songs.

I was hoping to start with a drum track. I loaded some drum patterns from the Anniversary Edition DVD. I tried to get a couple of measures defined to use different patterns. I failed.

Can someone walk me through the steps to create a two-measure song/pattern (or whatever the heck I need to start with) from some preloaded patterns?

Once I get my Firewire card, will this be easier to do from Cubase, or will I still be working in the Motif?

Kindest regards,
Craig

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 16, 2012 @ 02:01 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Welcome to the Motif XF…

Can someone walk me through the steps to create a two-measure song/pattern (or whatever the heck I need to start with) from some preloaded patterns?

I’m sure we can get you started but important to realize is this: There is no ONE WAY to do something. This is a musical instrument. While there are some basic skills that you will learn, exactly how you proceed to write your composition is really up to you.

A SONG - is a linear structure (works like a tape or other linear recording device in that you start at measure 001 and it advances through until you stop.

A PATTERN is a cycling musical Section. It works in a loop so you that you can define a region of measures to work on. This is or can be useful in some cases when you are constructing things like popular songs or even Symphony formats. You can write an “A” Section, then a “B” Section and so on.
Then you can chain the sections together to make a linear composition.

Those are the two main MODES of the SEQUENCER. You can even start to work by combining both looping and linear recording. The point is there is no one way to work.

The best thing to do is to start by learning how to select instruments for your multi-timbral setup (called MIXING).

You mention using ‘preloaded patterns’? If that is what you want to do - do not do this, if it is not what you want to do. You do not have to start with ‘preloaded patterns’ is what I’m trying to get across.

So tell us what you think you want to do and we can tell you the best way to proceed. If you do want to start with preloaded data: please see page 41 of the OWNER’s MANUAL Creating an original Pattern on pages 41-45 it will take you through learning from the demo patterns to how to create a pattern with an ARPEGGIO

if you get stuck or want to proceed a different way - post back here.

[ Ignore ]