mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "XF Settings for Ext Audio Interface"

Posted on: July 31, 2012 @ 02:16 AM
LudwigVB
Total Posts:  9
Joined  01-15-2012

I now have a Steinberg CI2 USB Audio Interface and have loaded its software.
Now I want to play each seperate audio track of my XF Song via the CI2 into Cubase so I have the song in Cubase for EQing etc. But I can’t find anywhere how my XF should be set up to do this. Can anyone advise on this? Do I need to change any Utility settings?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2012 @ 09:23 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

First, you have powerful individual PART EQ’s available to all 16 Motif XF PARTs and you have access to the cutting-edge Yamaha “VCM EQ 501”, available as INSERTION EFFECTS for your XF PARTs, and available as a MASTER Effect, plus a 5-band MASTER EQ on the main output, all built-in to your Motif XF… if you are using just the stock EQ’s in Cubase (no disrespect to those in the software), you may want to reconsider (...just saying: use the more powerful tool for the job).

And unless you have some really high-end, boutique EQ plug-ins (and even if you do) you will still be hard pressed to beat the quality of the individual Equalizers in your Motif XF. (You can read up on the EQ possibilities in your Motif XF here:

VCM Equalizer 501
- This article is written for the Motif XS but applies in full to the Motif XF. Many are surprised at the shear number of powerful Equalizers available in the Motif synth engine (but you can never have enough).

Don’t just take my word on this, Google: “Yamaha VCM Technology” and read up on what is being said and where it is being used!!! The Virtual Circuitry Modeling technology is being highly touted by the industry and you will find the results smooth and clear. I’m an old school recording engineer and I’ve worked with many EQ’s - nothing recreates the analog feel of EQ like the VCM EQ (IMHO).

Next, your Steinberg CI2 is a stereo audio interface device, so in order for you to use that as your audio transfer device you will have to route a single PART at a time if you want to record audio to separate tracks in Cuabse (DAW).

If you are looking for individual digital audio outputs, you want to get the FW16E Firewire expansion option for the Motif XF, this gives 16 simultaneous (discreet) audio buses between the XF and your DAW. This would allow you to assign PARTS of your XF MIXING setup to their own audio bus, to its own audio track in your DAW. Because it (FW16E) has more output options you can, of course, route more PARTS simultaneously.

That said, working with the Steinberg CI2 would go something like this:
Once you have assembled your Motif XF PARTS, (if you are using MIDI to sequence the music first), then you can simply [SOLO] each PART in turn as you record it as audio to an audio track in Cubase… Part-by Part. MIDI clock synchronization will ensure that your tracks will all align in Cubase. Each PART would be routed OUT via the main STEREO OUT, you will be able to isolate it by “soloing” that one track (or muting all others) during the real time transfer.

With a stereo audio interface, like the CI2, you are limited to just the STEREO output connection from your XF (Source). Tracking this way, one at a time, may seem like a lot of work, but is a very viable way to work. When you don’t have the luxury of a multiple channel audio interface (like the FW16E) the one at a time method is tried and true. From a recording engineer viewpoint, you can concentrate your attention on each pass - and it’s the final results that matter.

I realize that you want individual tracks and just mentioned EQ as one of the things you want to do in Cubase, I invite you to do the comparison on the EQ issue. But of course, there are a myriad of other reasons to create separate tracks in your DAW and plenty of processing available to improve on the sound (it’s just that EQ, in the case of an XF, might not be one of them) Your most powerful EQ might be in the keyboard.
:-)

And since you have a wide variety of EFFECTS available in your hardware synth (and since with a CI2 you will be tracking one-at-a-time) you can apply the full complement of the XF’s powerful effects on each pass!!!
Don’t assume the effects in software are better… again, unless you have spent a lot of money on boutique plug-ins, you have a suite of them in the XF (don’t miss out)

Compare the Reverbs, for example, if you like the one that comes in the DAW better than the Rev-X in the Motif XF, that is okay - one can like whatever you like. But if you simply assume it is better because it is in the computer - you would be wrongly jumping to a conclusion. You have both available - you do the comparison. You don’t have to like one or the other - but to not do the comparison would be a major travestry (again: IMHO).
Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 01, 2012 @ 04:25 AM
LudwigVB
Total Posts:  9
Joined  01-15-2012

That definitely helps. Thanks very much again.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif XF to Cubase
Next Topic:

Convert WAV file to MP3 ››