mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "voice editing in song/pattern mode…"

Posted on: July 29, 2012 @ 04:45 PM
philmagnotta
Total Posts:  261
Joined  10-19-2003

Hello:

I received my XF7 on Friday and have just begun to sit-down with it.
Can you provide me with the procedures for editing a voice in song mode?
One of the questions I had asked when deciding about which workstation to purchase was this:

Can I gain access to the voice editing functions while the sequencer is playing and not just a small generalized or global parameter set but, have full access to the synth engine at the voice level?
The answer was provided by bad_mister as he states:
..."The ability to fully edit Voices from within the SONG/PATTERN MIXING mode was not introduced into the Motif-series until 2003 in the Motif ES” So, the XF is able to do this.
Please advise and thanks in advance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 29, 2012 @ 05:30 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

If I understand your question, this should get you started until Bad_Mister/other experts can give you more/better information:

In SONG mode hit MIXING to call up the MIXING for the SONG. 

Select the PART (VOICE) you wish to edit.

Push F6 screen button (VOICE EDIT).

Hit COMMON EDIT button for those functions as desired.

Light the TRACK button (If it isn’t already), and use TRACK buttons 1-8 to call up the individual elements of that PART (VOICE) to edit each as desired.

I am not sure how this process translates while the sequencer is playing (I believe it should work), so you will need to experiment and/or wait for a more knowledgeable response.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 29, 2012 @ 05:35 PM
philmagnotta
Joined  10-19-2003

Thank you. I’ll try your recommendation but will not be ale to report back here for a little while.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 29, 2012 @ 05:40 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

When in one of the SEQUENCER modes (SONG or PATTERN) you can enter full VOICE Edit on any particular VOICE that is assigned to one of the 16 instrument PARTS.

When the SONG button is lit, for example, and you press the [EDIT] button you are accessing the MIDI Event data that is recorded to a Track of the sequencer [1]-[16]

When you are in SONG mode and additionally press the [MIXING] button, you are now accessing data that concerns the Motif XF’s Tone Generator engine (the synth).

Press [MIXING] to view the Motif XF’s internal Mixer… you will see the 16 internal PARTS when [F1] is accessed, and the AUDIO PARTS when [F2] is accessed.

Pressing [EDIT] with one of these PARTS highlighted will let you access what are considered the PART EDIT parameters. The top line of the screen will allows indicate exactly where you are. The PART EDIT parameters let you control via a set of OFFSET parameters how this VOICE is used within this SONG (or PATTERN).

These include:
Selection of the VOICE itself, the Note Shift, the Note Limits across the keys, the Velocity Limits, the Coarse and Fine Tuning, the play mode (mono or poly), the output assignment, the routing to the Effects, etc., etc., etc. But this is not full Voice Edit. Only how the VOICE in this PART is addressed in this context.

If you require to change something deeper within the VOICE, you can access FULL VOICE EDIT as follows:
From SONG or PATTERN
Press [MIXING]
On this mixer screen - select the internal PART you wish to edit
Press [F6] VCE EDIT (this is “Voice Edit")

This will drop you into full Voice Edit of the currently selected VOICE of the currently selected PART>
Full Voice Edit includes all relevant parameters of the VOICE… including the “COMMON” and “ELEMENT” parameters (it gives you access, for example, to the INSERTION EFFECTS if the PART’s INSERT SWITCH is set ON) and it gives you access to the VOICE"s CONTROLLER assignments.

If you are working with a “normal” VOICE you can STORE your newly edited Voice in a special MV Bank (MIXING VOICE bank) - the newly edited Voice is associated with the SONG or PATTERN you create it in. You can store each normal Voice you edit to a MIXING VOICE location. 16 are available for each SONG or PATTERN program, a total of 256 MIXING VOICES total for the Motif XF.

If you are working with a “drum” VOICE you must STORE your newly edited Kit to the USER DRUM bank. Drum kits are huge (they contain 73 instruments and therefore require a special storage location)>

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 29, 2012 @ 06:08 PM
philmagnotta
Joined  10-19-2003

Thank you bad_mister for those details.
I’ve tried those recommendations and they appear to be very complete, which is excellent for my purposes.
I’ll get back to studying these functions.
BTW, even though I’ve only just started with the XF7, I’m very pleased with the quality construction and generally good sound quality.
Song/Pattern modes are the most important feature set of the XF for me so, time will tell how well it all works for me.
I do feel confidant that the XF will be a valuable asset towards developing my ideas.
Many thanks to bad_mister and everyone else for making this the most knowledgeable site of its kind.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Use motif xf as audio interface
Next Topic:

Can XF8 Master sync to ES6 Master ››