mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MasterMode - Solo Voice"

Posted on: July 28, 2012 @ 12:11 PM
fbarbin
Total Posts:  95
Joined  12-05-2009

I have lots of MasterMode sounds made for playing live. Most have at least 4 sounds split across the keyboard at times i need to move to a (Solo) ( a sound outside of the splits across the keyboard. Is there a way of moving to a Solo sound then back to my original Master I played with all of my splits and layers?

Ex

Master #1 Split- piano+String, Sax , Horns

move to Solo Organ

BACK TO MASTER 1 .

I DON’T HAVE ALOT OF TIME TO SWITCH but i’d like to at least find out if this is possible.
Thanks fbarbin

I’d love to find out before i play tonight .

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 28, 2012 @ 01:39 PM
Redhotpoker
Total Posts:  3601
Joined  11-18-2010

Hi fbarbin,
I may be quite simple but…
I just thought it would be simple to switch from Master or Performance to Voice mode and back with a simple button tap.

If I’m mistaken, please forgive me. I’m sure someone will give you bettter instructions.

Anyway, just a thought…

take it easy

Chas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 28, 2012 @ 02:27 PM
fbarbin
Joined  12-05-2009

i’m not in front of it now but i think when you switch from the Master

1st thing is theres a big gap in the sound.
2nd when i switch to voice mode will it be the sound that I wanted to call up.

3rd when i move back I lose the particular Master I was playing.

Fbarbin

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 28, 2012 @ 03:13 PM
Redhotpoker
Joined  11-18-2010

Hi fbarbin,
Yes, but that’s only true, depending how you go about the switch.
There “should” be a real simple way to switch back and forth without any delay in sound.

Please read Phils comment here:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/458353

I’ll do a little further reasearch on this topic, as it’s been discussed here in detail already:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/444482

The Search function here, works great if you word your search correctly.

Chas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 28, 2012 @ 05:50 PM
fbarbin
Joined  12-05-2009

Most of my Masters are calling up a Song which i’ve setup my sounds and used Master mode to split of layer across the keyboard. Most of the time i am checking off the INSERT effect box so the sound would take its original effects from voice mode which makes it sound better.

I’m running out of notes to play solos. i get by on a few of my masters where i put a solo sound at the top and use the octave down switch which gives me an extra octave of solo notes . then i hit the octave up button to continue playing my Master.

I just thought maybe there was a way of using my Masters with my splits and layers
then maybe move to a solo sound and back to the master i was just playing.

I know about Mix mode where the sounds are seamless but in order to use my
splits and layers the sounds have to be on the same midi channel , then I could move to another
midi channel with my solo sounds.

The problem with that is . putting3 or 4 sounds on the same midi channel doesn’t give me
much option to control vol. while i’m playing. I’ve tried with pedals for example.

i thought i could have a brass and organ on the same channel and use a vol slider to crossfade between the sounds. i couldn’t do it.
and i thought i could maybe use 2 vol pedals
turn pedal 1 on the brass and pedal 2 on the organ. not sure if that will work.

sounds on same midi channel doesn’t seem to be the answer.

Fbarbin
THanks for checking this out for me.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 30, 2012 @ 12:50 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The problem with that is . putting3 or 4 sounds on the same midi channel doesn’t give me
much option to control vol. while i’m playing. I’ve tried with pedals for example.

i thought i could have a brass and organ on the same channel and use a vol slider to crossfade between the sounds. i couldn’t do it.
and i thought i could maybe use 2 vol pedals
turn pedal 1 on the brass and pedal 2 on the organ. not sure if that will work.

sounds on same midi channel doesn’t seem to be the answer.

With two sounds and two FC7 pedals you can program each Voice individually to respond to just one or the other of the pedals. It requires building custom Voice… and still would not be ideal… let’s try something different…

I have lots of MasterMode sounds made for playing live. Most have at least 4 sounds split across the keyboard at times i need to move to a (Solo) ( a sound outside of the splits across the keyboard. Is there a way of moving to a Solo sound then back to my original Master I played with all of my splits and layers?

since you have setup your Masters, and have the Zones working for you, this workaround might get it done for you:

Pick a consistent MIDI channel for your Lead Synth, for this example, I’ll use CHANNEL 1. If I understand you, you are using the MASTER associated with a SONG or PATTERN MIXING program so that you can transmit on multiple MIDI channels and take advantage of individual VOLUME control via the CS and you are using the ZONE “Note Limits” to create your splits and layers. Cool!

You say in some setups you have as many as 3 or 4 Zones active - use the ZONES to address the Splits/Layers, BUT do not use a ZONE for your Lead Voice. Here’s how to address it:

Simply place your LEAD SYNTH sound in PART 1 of the SONG MIXING or PATTERN MIXING setup.

For this example (of course, yours may be different). Go to SONG mode
Press [MIXING]
Place the Voices in PARTS as follows (each on separate MIDI channels, of course).
PART 1 = Synth Lead (Ch1)
PART 2 = Strings (Ch2)
PART 3 = Brass (Ch3)
PART 4 = Organ (Ch4)
PART 5 = Pad (Ch5)

[STORE] the SONG MIXING setup.

Now when you associate this SONG with the MASTER program, setup your FOUR ZONES (only 4)
ZONE 1 = Transmit Channel 2 (Strings)
ZONE 2 = Transmit Channel 3 (Brass)
ZONE 3 = Transmit Channel 4 (Organ)
ZONE 4 = Transmit Channel 5 (Pad)

Setup the ZONE parameters to define how you need them across the keyboard (you know what you need).
Name and STORE your MASTER.

Now when you are performing on stage, here is my workaround:
Press the [EDIT] button and navigate to the COMMON EDIT > [F2] OTHER screen.
(Once you are there, it will always return there when you press [EDIT]

On this screen you have the “ZONE SWITCH” parameter and the KNOB CONTROL ASSIGN parameter… which you presumably have set to “ON” and “ZONE”, respectively.
Leave the highlight (Cursor) sitting on the ZONE SWITCH parameter.

When set to ON you are playing your 4-ZONE split/layer setup (Strings, Brass, Organ, and Pad) all mapped as you require by the ZONE parameters - CS1-CS4 will control each PART respectively. When you ready to take your solo:

Press [DEC/NO]
and you have switched to your lead synth Voice - which is mapped across the entire keyboard and ready to play - full out. CS1 will now control the volume of your synth lead.

When you ready to go back to your ZONE’d split/layer, simply press the [INC/YES] button to reactivate your ZONE setup.

This works because by turning the ZONE SWITCH = OFF, you are now transmitting on the currently selected MIDI channel - which will default to CH1 anytime you call up a SONG or PATTERN. It is the same as exiting MASTER (ZONE) mode and returning to using the MASTER to just control the internal Tone Generator’s associated program. (Only without the half second pause - it is not seamless, sound will be stopped aburptly, it is an ON/OFF switch after all, but there is no devastating pause as with a complete MODE CHANGE.

Not perfect but will allow you to quickly flip between your 4 ZONE setup and your lead synth sound.

Hope that helps. Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 30, 2012 @ 04:15 PM
Redhotpoker
Joined  11-18-2010

Hi Phil,
Thank you. This is a much more detailed explanation (yet very clear), than I had wished for.
Very Much appreciated.

take care

Chas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 30, 2012 @ 08:37 PM
fbarbin
Joined  12-05-2009

Thanks Phil

I’ll try that this week but it looks like the answer.

Is there also a way to CrossFade 2 sounds OR velocity switching. I looked but couldn’t find it.

example- crossface organ to brass with 1 fader

example- velocity- soft touch play organ harder touch bring in brass sound.

Fabian

i’m sure alot of guys are going to use the zone off fix. Probably made alot of Motif owners day. :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 30, 2012 @ 10:56 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Is there also a way to CrossFade 2 sounds OR velocity switching. I looked but couldn’t find it.

example- crossface organ to brass with 1 fader

Yes, this can be done, but again to address two sounds with a single slider would mean the two Voices would have to be addressed on a single MIDI channel. One would work normally and increase in volume as you raised the Control Slider, while the other would decrease. This would involve creating custom VOICES that respond in this fashion to the selected Control Change parameter.

example- velocity- soft touch play organ harder touch bring in brass sound.

This also would be a case where you are addressing the two sounds on the same MIDI channel - and in reality is not difficult to setup but is very difficult to play consistently.  Actually you can do this within your ZONE setup (with separate channels) use the ZONE Velocity Limit parameters - you’ll see it is really difficult to play unless the brass is only for hard punches.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ A good String sound setup in Performance
Next Topic:

Use motif xf as audio interface ››