mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Creating Original Patterns"

Posted on: July 25, 2012 @ 06:34 PM
londonguy
Total Posts:  3
Joined  07-25-2012

Hi all i am new to the forum & just bought a MOX6

Very Simple question but not so for a newbie like me.

After you program your own original patters from scratch in PATTERN MODE, How do you then load them in performance mode & play live with layered voices & split features etc.

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 25, 2012 @ 07:57 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Welcome to the forums!

After you program your own original patters from scratch in PATTERN MODE, How do you then load them in performance mode & play live with layered voices & split features etc.

You convert the Track data to arpeggios. In the SONG or PATTERN, go to JOB > [F5] TRACK > Cursor down and select “PUT TRACK TO ARP”.

An arpeggio can be accessed by any VOICE, or by any PART in a PERFORMANCE or MIXING program.

Say you have created a Drum Pattern (in PATTERN mode) for example, you can convert that Drum “Phrase” to a USER ARP. The data is converted to a USER ARP (which you can name, assign to a Category/SubCategory and the arp is designated with a number, 001-256). You can then access that USER ARP from any VOICE or PERFORMANCE PART.

Each ARP is instrument specific and is converted individually. The CONVERT TYPE will determine how the MOX will respond when the arp is triggered.

In the (PDF) MOX REFERENCE MANUAL you want to read page 11-16: ARPEGGIO BLOCK - for the basics of how arps work, what are the different types, etc.
and Page 126 “Determining how SONG/PATTERN data is converted to an arpeggio - Convert Type” - for more details on how you setup the PUT TRACK TO ARP Job that creates the ARP

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 26, 2012 @ 07:49 AM
londonguy
Joined  07-25-2012

Many thanks Bad_Master

I did “PUT TRACK TO ARP” but how do i access the ARP in PERFORMANCE or VOICE MODE?, i can’t find the ARP under PERFORMANCE & VOICE MODES.

Many thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 26, 2012 @ 08:26 AM
maahou
Total Posts:  106
Joined  07-18-2011

you should find it in USR arpeggio, in performance and voice mode

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 26, 2012 @ 09:25 AM
londonguy
Joined  07-25-2012

Thank you Maahou,

Please tell me how to exactly get to USER ARPEGGIOS.
When in performance mode, what buttons to press etc. & by the way, under PUT TRACK TO ARP page, do you have to put anything next to MainCtgry, Subctgry, OrgNotesRoot, SECTION, Measure? etc
& do you must SAVE before you get out of there? because the machine is prompting me & says something like DATA will be lost if not stored, when trying to switch to voice/performance mode.

Many thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 26, 2012 @ 09:41 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Please tell me how to exactly get to USER ARPEGGIOS.

In the (PDF) MOX REFERENCE MANUAL you want to read page 11-16: ARPEGGIO BLOCK - for the basics of how arps work, what are the different types, etc.
and Page 126 “Determining how SONG/PATTERN data is converted to an arpeggio - Convert Type” - for more details on how you setup the PUT TRACK TO ARP Job that creates the ARP

Please read these pages - they will help in answering your questions. Truly, we could write the pages out here - but frankly the manual does a better job… with pictures! Please take our word for this, we would not have taken the time to reference particular pages if it was not going to actually help you specifically with your question.

Now if you read it and still don’t understand it, we would be happy to answer those specific questions. Here goes:

When in performance mode, what buttons to press etc.

In PERFORMANCE mode you can access the ARP EDIT parameters in two ways:
1) Press the [F5] Function button labeled “ARP ED>“ (The little arrow after it denotes it will take you to an EDIT screen)
2) Press the dedicated [ARP EDIT] button. It’s located right next to the [ARPEGGIO ON/OFF] button (Just to the left of the screen).

The tab marked TYPE will allow you to select the arpeggio bank and number. PRE = Preset (supplied by Yamaha). USR = User (find your user arp by number and name

& by the way, under PUT TRACK TO ARP page, do you have to put anything next to MainCtgry, Subctgry, OrgNotesRoot, SECTION, Measure?

The manual does explain this a bit - but here’s how it could/would be used: You can give your ARPS a “Category” and a “Sub Category” which will make them easier to find. If you are doing just one, this seems like an extra step, BUT by the time you have created 100 arps you’ll wish you had more ways to sub-divide the search!!!.

The “OrgNotesRoot” parameter will only be necessary when you are converting the data using “ORG NOTE” as the CONVERT TYPE.

Say you have a bass line or melody line - you want the arpeggio to play your original notes = exactly what you played.
I guess we should back up and realize that an arpeggio (outside of the MOTIF/MO family) is a series of note-ons generated in some specific or random pattern. Typically up, up/down, down, down/up etc.
If you want to create a specific phrase (something arpeggiators normally did not do previously) you need to use the CONVERT TYPE = ORG NOTES

Make sense so far? But you do not want to take that literally - you do still want the ARP to be musically intelligent!  You do want it to adjust to chord quality and key - You do want it to ‘transpose” when you give it a new Key… you do want it to recognize major versus minor chords… but you also want it to be those original notes.

This is why in the explanation of CONVERT TYPES it says ORG NOTE is the same as FIXED NOTE except that it will transpose according to the trigger event. FIXED NOTE is great for DRUMS - because no matter what key the music is in, the DRUM KIT VOICE needs to keep the same (fixed) notes.

The ORG NOTE ROOT is important because you need to tell the technology “what KEY” when pressed will play the original phrase. If you program a phrase and you played it starting on E3, then the Original Note Root might be E3. It is basically asking you what key, when pressed, do you want to have play the original phrase.

& do you must SAVE before you get out of there? because the machine is prompting me & says something like DATA will be lost if not stored, when trying to switch to voice/performance mode.

In the MOX - a small letter “E” will appear on the top line in the upper right corner anytime you have edited (changed) any data - be it to the VOICE, the PERFORMANCE, the SEQUENCER, whatever.

If you attempt to move to a different program or to a different mode, you will get a warning message IF you did not STORE your data. You cannot lose the edits you made. If you want to keep the changes you made pfress [EXIT] which returns you to your most recently edited mode, and you cn press [STORE].

If however, you determine that the change you just made was only temporary or just an experiment and you would rather note keep it, Press [YES] and you will exit that program and that edit will be discarded.

we are going to tell you that all of this basic stuff is in the manual. And we are going to recommend that you definitely, when you get time, read through it. To attempt to make your own ARPEGGIOS - which on a scale ranking degree of difficulty for someone new to the instrument is a clear 8 or 9 - well, let’s just say you are working at a disadvantage.

It would make more sense to belay making your own arps until you at least have learned to navigate the instrument. Don’t get this message wrong - we are just recommended that at some point you do that, because then things will make a lot more sense.  We understand that sometimes you have to skip ahead to get something - right away - and we are happy to help. Just don’t want you to think something like “I’ll never get this” -

It all really depends on how you first encounter it.

Let us know. Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Sustain Pedal in Song/Pattern Mode
Next Topic:

No record in Cubase-Mox6 ››