mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "XF8 Left/Soft Pedal Assignment???"

Posted on: July 17, 2012 @ 09:51 AM
gtrlady
Total Posts:  2
Joined  07-03-2012

I am thinking of purchasing an FC3 to use for my sustain pedal and then using my existing FC4 as the left/soft/una corda pedal. 

Is this possible and if so, how would I do this? (I know where to plug them in on the XF but I am unclear as to how to assign the function to the FC4.)

I currently also have an FC7 attached and am using it as a volume pedal although maybe I do not have it assigned properly because it doesn’t seem to have as big a “sweep” as I would like.

I have read the manual and looked through the options on the screen but am having trouble deciphering the information. 

Could someone please clarify this for me?  I did find some information that relates to the XS but not for the XF.  I would like to think they are similar but that would be too easy.  :)

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 17, 2012 @ 11:12 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Welcome to the Forums

The Motif XF does not respond to cc067 SOFT. In MIDI cc064 is the Sustain pedal, cc066 is Sustenuto, and cc067 is Soft. (the XF does respond to cc064, of course, and to cc066)

In an early attempt to recreate the three pedals of a piano MIDI implemented a Control Change message 067 that would apply a reduction in VOLUME - to emulate the pianos Soft pedal. on an actual acoustic piano the action shifts so that the hammers that would strike 3 strings strike less strings (a single string) this has the result of making the piano softer.

What you can do with a synthesizer like the XF (which does not respond to cc067) is simply assign your assignable Foot Switch to lower the volume output of the piano sound slightly. This can be done with a filter or simply assigning it to reduce volume by a set amount.

In the XF you assign your CONTROLLERS as follows:
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F5] CONTROL
Press [SF3] CONTROL
The FOOT SWITCH No. = 88 (no need to change this really)

Call up the PIANO you want to apply this to
Press [EDIT]
Press [COMMON EDIT]
Press [F4] CTRL SET
Use one of the six CONTROL SETs to
SOURCE = FOOT SWITCH(88)
DESTINATION = VOLUME
DEPTH = set negative value equal to the amount of level reduction you want to apply with the Foot Switch -5 through -8 should work.

Press [STORE] and select a USER bank location for your newly edited Piano.

I currently also have an FC7 attached and am using it as a volume pedal although maybe I do not have it assigned properly because it doesn’t seem to have as big a “sweep” as I would like.

The FC7 when plugged into the FOOT CONTROLLER 1 jack will default to sending cc011. And will send minimum (0) when heel is down, and send maximum (127) when toe is down. In light of this - we are not clear at all when you say it doesn’t seem to have as big a “sweep” as you would like. (Are you talking physically, the pedal itself? As it it does not travel the distance you want because…

Minimum (no volume) to Maximum (full volume) is as big as it gets. Can you tell us what you expect?
cc011 is relative volume called “expression”
cc007 is absolute volume called “main channel volume”

Perhaps you want to change the FOOT CONTROLLER 1 to send cc007 ?

We are not sure about your question…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 17, 2012 @ 12:45 PM
gtrlady
Total Posts:  2
Joined  07-03-2012

Thanks for the response.  I believe you answered my question, i.e. relative vs. absolute volume.  That makes total sense now.  Basically I want the FC7 to work like the expression pedal on my Hammond organ.

So you are saying I can only apply the volume output modification to an individual piano voice and not globally?  In other words, if I wanted all of the piano voices to have this ability (soft pedal) I would have to do the edit to each voice individually and save them as a user-modified voice?

Sorry to be such an idiot, but I am just overwhelmed by everything the XF8 has to offer.  It is so much more than my YPG-625....

[ Ignore ]