mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Control mm6 via midi"

Posted on: July 10, 2012 @ 05:03 AM
Athos
Total Posts:  8
Joined  11-30-2009

Hi all,

This is my question: can I change the voice of mm6 via MIDI? I mean the voice shown over display, namely the voice of the internal tone generator.

I tried the PROGRAM CHANGE (for example: 0xB0 0x00 0x00 0xB0 0x20 0x00 0xC0 0x0F) message, but it changes the midi voice, not the voice I want to change…

Thanks
jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 11, 2012 @ 09:55 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

When you address the MM6/MM8 via MIDI you are addressing the 16 PART tone engine of the internal synth. What you select and play via the screen of the MM is always separate.

you have a separate Main Voice, a separate Dual Voice, and a separate Split Voice (Left). These are in addition to the 16 PART MIDI playback tone engine.

You cannot address these PANEL VOICES from external MIDI except for things like MASTER TUNING and the System Effects (Reverb/Chorus).

This is and maybe different from other keyboards you have encountered. But it is possible with this type of setup (and I’m sure it was the design concept): you can play a 16 PART multi-timbral MIDI file and yet you can play on top of it with the 3 separate PANEL VOICES: the MAIN, the DUAL and even with a SPLIT.

These tones are separated from the 16 PARTS receiving MIDI from the SMF. So when you are playing back a MIDI file you can play along.

So if you are trying to send in a MIDI message to change the VOICE you see in the screen, you will not. A MIDI message coming IN will address the 16 PART tone engine, via channels 1-16… not the Voice you see in the screen.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 11, 2012 @ 10:20 AM
Athos
Joined  11-30-2009

Hi Bad_mister, and thanks for the reply!

So, there is no way to control my mm6 internal tone generator from and external midi controller.

As far as you know, is this an mm6 limit (since it’s the cheapest yamaha synth)? I mean, using a different yamaha (or other) synth, can I avoid this limit?

Thanks again
j

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 11, 2012 @ 08:38 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

So, there is no way to control my mm6 internal tone generator from and external midi controller.

I don’t recall saying that. You can certainly address the MM6/MM8 on any or all 16 separate MIDI channels!

You select sounds by sending MSB/LSB Bank Select and Program Change messages!

The Voices are listed in your manual. Page 84

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 12, 2012 @ 05:10 AM
Athos
Joined  11-30-2009
Athos - 11 July 2012 10:20 AM

This way I mean “the voice show nover display”

Athos - 11 July 2012 10:20 AM

As far as you know, is this an mm6 limit (since it’s the cheapest yamaha synth)? I mean, using a different yamaha (or other) synth, can I avoid this limit?

What about this?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 12, 2012 @ 10:53 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

What about this? If we knew exactly what you wanted to accomplish (musically speaking) - things like saying “the cheapest” makes us feel that money is still more important than what the instrument does. Hopefully, you will refine your search for a keyboard based on musical goals - more than likely Yamaha makes a keyboard to fit those needs.

We realize price is often an issue, but from my standpoint, I try to make recommendations as to keyboards based on what the user wants to accomplish in a musical sense.

You can certainly figure out what sounds you want to access and program your controller keyboard to access those sounds (if money is an issue). That is totally possible. Try it

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 12, 2012 @ 01:33 PM
Athos
Joined  11-30-2009

I’m an electronic engineer, with music in my blood. What I need, during my performances, is: “change the whole setup of both my instruments with a button on top of a DoItYourself device”. Note, I sayd both my instruments, and they are YAMAHA CP33 and YAMAHA MM6. This is very important because I can not press/rotate/scroll both of them after any song. Members of the audience can not wait for me after every song!

In my opinion there are 2 limits:
1 - lack of MIDI THRU (mainly on a master keyboard, like CP33 is), but this is clearly a limitation due to CP33 price (CP300 has MIDI THRU). Note: MIDI THRU is only a 50cent inexpensive connector, and a couple of inexpensive 220ohm resistor.
2 - as already sayd, i’d like to control my CP33/MM6 by a MIDI cable. In this case, I don’t know if CP33/MM6 cannot, or every yamaha instrument cannot, or every other instrument in the world cannot.
Think about this. I’m playing CP33 (piano), MM6 (organ reverb=001 chorus=002 DSP=003 ecc) and other (...). In a very short time, less than 1 second, I’d like to play CP33 (violin), MM6 (sax reverb=004 chorus=005 DSP=006 ecc) and other (...). I think should be possible to drive all of them by MIDI, but maybe I’m wrong.

Thanks for feedbacks
j

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 12, 2012 @ 02:38 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

The CP33 can act as a Master MIDI keyboard controller and send the appropriate Bank Select and Program Change messages to your MM6 so that when you want to change your setup with one button push that is exactly what happens. You can pre-set what Voice is recalled in the MM6 for each of your CP33’s fourteen front panel Voice buttons.

Please see “Using the Master Mode” page 26 of the CP33 Owner’s Manual.

This will show you how to setup your CP-33 so you can control both it and the external keyboard (MM6).
Your MM6 manual will tell you the MSB and LSB and Program number of each of its sounds.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 13, 2012 @ 04:21 AM
Athos
Joined  11-30-2009

This is not what I need. I’m sorry.

“CP33 midi out -> MM6 midi in” cannot change the MM6 main voice.

I’m talking about “my DIY device -> CP33 midi in” + “my DIY device -> MM6 midi in”. This is the only way to drive both the instruments, and this is not possible. I’m sorry.

bye
j

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 13, 2012 @ 08:38 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Okay, I’m sorry you don’t understand. We will try one last time.

Say you want to call up the Power Grand piano sound on the MM6.
Look at the VOICE LIST in your MM manual do you find that Panel Voice on the list. That is how you would call it up on the MM - sorry but that is it.

You mention you want to find your Panel Voice ORGAN sound - find in on the list (sorry but you did not give us the name of the organ sound you are interested in) but it is on that list.

Sorry, you don’t understand - perhaps you should call Yamaha in your country and maybe they can better explain it to you. Sorry :-(

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 16, 2012 @ 05:41 AM
Athos
Joined  11-30-2009

You have no idea of what I’m asking for, or you are too brand-involved to understand.
Let’s close this topic. There are enough infos for any other user.

As far as I know, there is no way to change the main voice of the instrument. Someone calls it next/previous scene in a live situation. Does not exist an exclusive Yamaha MIDI command (0xF0 0x43 0x… 0xF7) for this purpose

thanks anyway
j

ps: I called Yamaha first, but, guess what, I never had an answer

[ Ignore ]