mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Tempo changes and retardando in Pattern mode?"

Posted on: July 05, 2012 @ 10:49 PM
jweems
Total Posts:  7
Joined  06-24-2012

In Pattern mode, can you have different tempos in different sections?  Also, is there a way to do a retardando across one or more measures?  Do I need to be in song mode for this?  Thank you!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 06, 2012 @ 10:50 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

In Pattern mode, can you have different tempos in different sections?  Also, is there a way to do a retardando across one or more measures?  Do I need to be in song mode for this? 

PATTERN mode is made up of cycling (looping) Sections and for this reason you cannot have any tempo changes. Think about it… You write a four measure PATTERN Section and you decide that after it repeats 20 times to have the tempo ritard. from 120 to 100… where are you going to put that instruction?

You have just 4 measures in your Section. In what measure are you going to put that tempo change command?

Okay it is a trick question - because you cannot place it anywhere in those 4 measures! You need to define a linear time line - something that is actually keeping track of that Section repeating 20 times… that linear time line is created via the PATTERN CHAIN function which can be then converted to a linear SONG.

That said, the MOX has a very mature operating system and things like tempo changes and ritardando are definitely apart of the functions.

When you create a PATTERN CHAIN (and of course, also available in SONG mode) there is a dedicated TEMPO Track. Tempo changes can be recorded either in real time or inserted as specific events.

In SONG mode you have a JOB that is “Create Continuous Data” - this can be used to create quite complex ritardando or accelerando using the MOX’s ability to create Tempo commands.

See page 92 of the REFERENCE MANUAL for the JOB “Create Continuous Data”
You will want to select the TMP (Tempo) track.
You can define a CURVE for the tempo change (that is, make it change and gradually increase or decrease in how fast or slow it is changing.... and of course, you can define at what measures the tempo change begins and ends.

If you need additional help - post back here.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 10, 2012 @ 07:40 PM
jweems
Joined  06-24-2012

Thanks again so much!  I meant to reply sooner.  I’m about to make a new chain so I can try all of this out.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 15, 2012 @ 06:22 PM
jweems
Joined  06-24-2012

I went to page 92 in the owner’s manual and got to the screen they are referring to.  However, under Job, Event, Create Continuous Data, Event Type, I have PB CC CAT and EXC, but no TMP.  I tried from the start several times to make sure I wasn’t missing something.  I don’t see TMP for Tempo.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 15, 2012 @ 07:04 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

You have to select the TEMPO Track first to EDIT the Tempo Track.

From the SONG screen
Press [JOB]
Press [F3] EVENT
Select the CREATE CONTINUOUS DATA Job
When the dialog box opens you can set your editing preferences:
The parameter right under the name of the Job is “TR” short for Track
Set the TR= TMP

This selects the dedicated TEMPO Track. All tempo commands are place on this one track.
You can only select TEMPO as an Event TYPE when you have selected the TMP track for the JOB

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 15, 2012 @ 08:52 PM
jweems
Joined  06-24-2012

Wow...I did not see that and I don’t think I would’ve noticed had you not pointed it out.  I went straight to “all tracks” everytime.  That’s a lot to remember to get to a tempo change.  Thanks again!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 16, 2012 @ 01:52 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

That’s a lot to remember to get to a tempo change

Really. Simply have to read and fill out one dialog box, maybe a synth is not for you! Hmmm! If you understand that in MIDI Tempo message cannot go on just any track - it always has a separate dedicated track.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Arpeggios and copyright
Next Topic:

Can you use a ribbon mic with the MOX? ››