mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Does an S6 “really” sound like this?  REALLY?"

Page 2 of 3
Posted on: June 23, 2012 @ 02:17 PM
MarPabl
Total Posts:  560
Joined  09-08-2011

Then can we replace the ELEMENTS for the specific keys, taking other S6 WAVEFORM where the issue is not present. Based on the results got by Vikas, I think we can solve this issue.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 23, 2012 @ 02:55 PM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010

The elements 3 and 4 (with waveforms mf and mp respectively) both have Note Range C-2 to F#5 - a large part of the Piano range. Together, they cover a large Velocity Range (47 to 104) too. You cannot effectively replace these waveforms with some other waveforms because that will change the whole Piano sound itself.

What you need to do is edit the waveforms themselves and more precisely only the keybanks within those waveforms that have been mapped to those three keys. The keybanks need to be mapped to some other samples which do not have this issue.

Since we have no way of editing the factory waveforms, I don’t think this issue can be resolved so easily - especially by us end users without help from Yamaha.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 23, 2012 @ 05:15 PM
MarPabl
Joined  09-08-2011

Check my previous solution. You can change the key zones assigned to those ELEMENTS in order to exclude just the affected keys.

Then you add a new ELEMENT for those specific keys not having that issue, or at least where the problem is not that noticeable.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 24, 2012 @ 01:14 AM
VikasSharma
Joined  10-05-2010

MarPabl,

Currently, all eight elements have already been utilized to make the Natural Grand S6 voice. There’s no free element. So, to implement the solution suggested by you earlier in your post, one would have to part with one of the elements. Also, creating a “hole” from C#1 to D#1 for elements 3 and 4 would extend their range up to G8. Currently, they are note limited up to F#5.

One possible candidate element for covering the “hole” could be element 7 which currently has Note Limit G5 to G8. As you know, one would have to make a lot of adjustments to the Filter (including FEG), Amplitude (including AEG), etc. besides just changing the waveform assigned, Note Range and Velocity Range for the overall voice to sound right.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 24, 2012 @ 01:53 AM
MarPabl
Joined  09-08-2011

Then we still stand a chance by creating a PERFORMANCE and making there the replacement of the bad keymaps. For this approach, we create a VOICE having better WAVEFORMS for the affected keys and we set key ranges accordingly on the PERFORMANCE. With this approach, there’s still no impact with polyphony, maybe there would be some issues with arpeggios, but I think nothing important.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 24, 2012 @ 02:46 AM
VikasSharma
Joined  10-05-2010

Good idea, MarPabl! Looks like a viable solution.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 24, 2012 @ 02:51 AM
MarPabl
Joined  09-08-2011

I think so! To the OP, I think this can also be done with the S90XS

Now you’re getting the Motif, you can use SONG/PATTERN mode with a MIXING VOICE to save the usage of one USER VOICE and a PERFORMANCE.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 25, 2012 @ 09:02 PM
selbalicious
Total Posts:  207
Joined  09-30-2011

So over the weekend I downloaded Inspiration in a Flash and loaded the S700 piano.  Excellent piano.  Very “stable” and uniform across the keyboard.  If I had to pick a piano that would simply “fit” across multiple genres/mixes of music it would be this one.  That said, if I needed more punch or a particularly more sparkly piano, I might not pick the S700.

I also went back over the S6 keys and they definitely have the offending overtone/harmonic/whatever to them.  Now to my ears it isn’t like it leaps right out of the keyboard and starts gnawing on my ear lobe.  To me it still sounds at least “in character”.  Well...I kind of take that back.  The “clunkiness” actually sounds like it would better fit the main Concert Grand patch better than sitting in the S6 sample pool.

The S6, to my ears, sounds more “woody” (and thus less bright, sparkly, and clanky than the main Concert Grand (the CFIII??)).  It sounds more intimate and just has an entirely different tone than the other two (the S700 and the CFIII).

The Power Grand and Jazz Grand (within Inspiration download) were definitely cool in and of themselves.  Cannot have too many grand pianos to choose from in my opinion.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 25, 2012 @ 11:55 PM
youdog
Total Posts:  482
Joined  01-31-2009

Yamaha can say some at any time now!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 26, 2012 @ 01:13 PM
Agent707
Total Posts:  25
Joined  06-20-2012

yougod, Based on the dialog I got back and forth from their “Application Tech”, there isn’t anything wrong with the S6 voice.  It’s just all user subjective taste.  So don’t expect any input from them on this.

I’m confident we can come up with an alternative solution based on some very good input I’ve read so far!

Gearfest last weekend delayed my board from shipping until yesterday.  So I won’t get it until tomorrow.

You can bet though that once I get it setup I’m going to try some suggestions posted in this thread.  *smiles*

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 26, 2012 @ 03:14 PM
selbalicious
Total Posts:  207
Joined  09-30-2011

You’ll definitely enjoy the rather obtuse methods to load/unload a flash board.  Once you “get it” though, you’ll be fine.  I suppose in Yamaha’s defense, there’s only so much real estate on the screen for doing things that most people normally do with a mouse and keyboard (in Windows/Mac).  Still...it’s not terribly intuitive and you’ll have these funny little “aha!” moments in terms of “so THAT’S what they wanted me to do”.  Heh heh.

Overall though...I had a blast auditioning the Inspiration in a Flash content (kind of ashamed it took me this long to finally get around to it!).  I ended up choosing 16 “must have” voices and simply using User1/E bank to shove them all into.

Also...just so you know...the Vintage Keys, Bees Knees, Axxe, (DCP libraries) and Chic Corea’s Mark V Rhodes library are all THE BOMB and I love them.  Had to be very careful and picky as to where I loaded them, but again, once you get the hang of it, they all fit nicely where I stuck them (I have a 1Gb flash board) and now I have truly a powerhouse keyboard with basically every sound I could ever need (err...maybe I could use the Garritan orchestra library too some day!!).

Luvin’ my XF8/XF7.  Feeling truly blessed, fat, dumb, and happy!

Kevin B. Selby

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 26, 2012 @ 03:58 PM
chilly
Total Posts:  738
Joined  05-05-2008

Hello Agent707

If u need a good piano sound then get a good piano VST.
also if need anything else go VST world
Motif Xf8 is based on early 90s technologies which were not cuting age even in that time

My the most favoryt pianos are from Imperfect Samples company http://www.imperfectsamples.com/website/samples/index.php and also VSL Vienna Imperial is pretty good too http://www.vsl.co.at/en/211/442/478/1701/1305.htm but still i think Imperfect Samples are the best in the world espesialy Ebony Grand which is based on the top of the line Fazioli piano and Waltun Concert which is based on some very rare butique vitage Steinway piano

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 26, 2012 @ 04:01 PM
chilly
Joined  05-05-2008
youdog - 25 June 2012 11:55 PM

Yamaha can say some at any time now!

Why do u think thay will responde?
They were ignoring all new idies and improvements for years, since the “classic” Motif was realised.

p.s.
Most likely they will ignore this post like they did with many others or in the best case they will say that thouse faults it the samples are just “a metter of taste” and if u do not like that then get something else…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 26, 2012 @ 08:45 PM
Redhotpoker
Total Posts:  3601
Joined  11-18-2010

Hi chilly,
I see you are still kicking… as far as Yamaha telling anyone what to do or where to go, that just ain’t going to happen, ever!! You, like anyone else here, should know this.
I mean after all, if Yamaha was in the business of giving orders to mortals, your membership here at Motifator would have been yanked years ago.

Think about it.

Please enjoy your music.

Chas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 28, 2012 @ 02:31 PM
chilly
Joined  05-05-2008
Redhotpoker - 26 June 2012 08:45 PM

Hi chilly,
I see you are still kicking… as far as Yamaha telling anyone what to do or where to go, that just ain’t going to happen, ever!! You, like anyone else here, should know this.
I mean after all, if Yamaha was in the business of giving orders to mortals, your membership here at Motifator would have been yanked years ago.

Think about it.

Please enjoy your music.

Chas

Hello Redhotpoker

I donot think so…

Have a nice day!

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 3