mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Sending MIDI program change messages"

Posted on: June 15, 2012 @ 12:06 PM
mastermuso
Total Posts:  4
Joined  06-15-2012

I would like to send MIDI Program Change messages to my Motif Rack from a Yamaha P-140 digital piano, so that I can change the preset sounds on the rack from the keyboard.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

More difficult than I suspected.

Thanks in advance.

MM

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 15, 2012 @ 03:11 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

While I’m sure the P140 is capable of sending MIDI to control an external device, it is not what is considered a full MIDI controller (which would have a PB and MW and the ability to customize what Program Change message is sent when you select an onboard sound)

Check the documentation of your P140 and see what Bank Select and Program Change message is send from each particular sound. You can then use the USER BANK of the Motif-Rack to align the sound you wish to be recalled from a specific P140 Program.

So for example, I would imagine the Grand Piano voice on the P140 would send Program Change 001, you can place in USER BANK 1 position number 1 whatever Motif-Rack Voice you want to be recalled when you recall the P140 Piano.... and so on.

You may need to have the Motif-Rack ignore Bank Select (Because it is unlikely that a Bank Select message from the P140 would correspond with any Banks found in the Motif-Rack).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 19, 2012 @ 06:03 AM
mastermuso
Joined  06-15-2012

Thanks for your reply, Bad Mister.

Could you tell me what ‘PB’ and ‘MW’ stand for?

As far as I’ve been able to workout so far, there is a problem in that the P-140 sends program change messages using 0 for all MSB bytes, and 112, 122, 123, 124 and 125 for all LSB bytes. None of these correspond to the MSB or LSB numbers required to address program locations on the Motif Rack. (User1 Bank Voice 1 is MSB 63 and LSB 8.)

Is there a way that I can change either the data sent from the P-140 or the data expected by the Motif for a given progam/voice location?

Otherwise, I don’t see how to implement your suggestion.

Or am I missing something obvious?

MM

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 19, 2012 @ 07:20 AM
mastermuso
Joined  06-15-2012

Turning off Bank Select on the Motif as you suggested, got me a step further. Now I can at least change programs on the Motif from the P-140, although I am limited by the number of physical switches on the P-140, as well as the fact that their program change numbers are hard-coded.

Looks like a different midi controller will be required to get the best out of the Motif.

Thanks for your help.

MM

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 19, 2012 @ 08:49 AM
mastermuso
Joined  06-15-2012

Ah ... pitch bend and modulation wheel. Just twigged!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ no sound from right output on motif rack
Next Topic:

OS update corrupts halfway through... ››