mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Switch Insert-Effects On/Off during a Playback"

Posted on: May 12, 2012 @ 05:20 PM
moxmix
Total Posts:  78
Joined  11-20-2011

Is it possible to switch on/off the Insert-Effects during a Playback ?
Is there a Command which I can Insert in the Edit-Mode ?

I wish a Voice has partial a Reverb…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 13, 2012 @ 11:39 AM
iluvchiclets
Total Posts:  112
Joined  06-15-2007

Hi,

I asked a similar questions a while ago - perhaps my post will be of help…

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/456571/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 13, 2012 @ 01:00 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Is it possible to switch on/off the Insert-Effects during a Playback ?
Is there a Command which I can Insert in the Edit-Mode ?

If by “Edit-Mode” you mean the Sequencer, you can Switch ON and OFF which PARTS are recalling their dual Insertion Effects with System Exclusive messages. These are found in the DATA LIST booklet.

I wish a Voice has partial a Reverb…

I’m not sure what this means “has partial a Reverb” can you please explain.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 15, 2012 @ 03:12 AM
moxmix
Total Posts:  78
Joined  11-20-2011

In example I’m editing a Song.

Now I need a Delay-Effect to be active in the Measure 1 to 4 and inactive in the Measure 5 to 8. Is this possible in one Track while the Sequencer play’s a Song ? (switch on/off the Insertion Effect per “I don’t know"-Command in the Sequencer)

ps : In the Past I create two Tracks with the same Instrument’s, one Track has no Delay the Other has

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 15, 2012 @ 08:34 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Now I need a Delay-Effect to be active in the Measure 1 to 4 and inactive in the Measure 5 to 8. Is this possible in one Track while the Sequencer play’s a Song ? (switch on/off the Insertion Effect per “I don’t know"-Command in the Sequencer)

Yes. You can do it with System Exclusive messages.

ps : In the Past I create two Tracks with the same Instrument’s, one Track has no Delay the Other has

If this works for you, it is one certainly one way to get this done. However if you want to do it via System Exclusive message you must be able to be very specific and define exactly what you want to happen: On which PART you wish to activate and deactivate the Insert Effect?

And you must always be aware that a maximum of three PARTS can have their INS SW = ON.

Press [EDIT]
Press [COMMON]
Press [F6] EFFECT
Press [SF2] INS SW (Insert Switch)
you can activate and deactivate these switches with System Exclusive messages

but as you can imagine you must be specific… it is not a simple command like Control Change because it must address the whole system

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 15, 2012 @ 10:40 AM
nauform
Total Posts:  122
Joined  06-16-2011
moxmix - 15 May 2012 03:12 AM

Now I need a Delay-Effect to be active in the Measure 1 to 4

Look at the “Controller Set Destination” chart on page 99 (document: mox6mox8_en_dl_a0.pdf):
No. --> Parameter
1 --> Insertion Effect A Parameter 1
16 --> Insertion Effect A Parameter 16
17 --> Insertion Effect B Parameter 1
32 --> Insertion Effect B Parameter 16

Now go to page 79 in the same document. The Delay effects parameter list begin there. What common thing can you see?  Well, all of them have the parameter number 10:

No. --> Parameter --> Range --> Value
10 --> Dry/Wet Balance --> D63>W – D=W – DlessthanW63 --> (1 – 127)

When this parameter is D63>W (value = 1) then NO delay effect is applied (dry) and when this parameter is DlessthanW63, value = 127, then the delay effect is applied to the maximum (wet).

You must edit the voice, then in “Controller Set” you look for a free slot (1-6), after that you assign a free (not occupied) “Source” and you choose as “Destination” --> “Insertion Effect A Parameter 10” or “Insertion Effect B Parameter 10” (Dry/Wet Balance) and finally you store the voice. Please you should remember the “Source” assigned cause you’ll need to set this value to 1 for NOT delay or 127 for delay by insert, in the measure 4, a event type “Program Change” in SONG mode ;)

P.S. Sorry, I don’t have my MOX8 in front of me in this moment, but you shouldn’t have any problem. If you cannot do it let me know it and I, or Bad_Mister, will explain you this procedure step by step.

EDIT: sorry I’m having problems with the “less than” char

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 15, 2012 @ 10:53 AM
dcool
Total Posts:  426
Joined  11-01-2006
moxmix - 15 May 2012 03:12 AM

I would create an user voice with delay that can be controlled by mod wheel and you can record all event change during the song with mod wheel.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 15, 2012 @ 11:02 AM
nauform
Joined  06-16-2011
dcool - 15 May 2012 10:53 AM

I would create an user voice with delay that can be controlled by mod wheel and you can record all event change during the song with mod wheel.

This is the same thing that I’ve said but using mod wheel like “Source” in “Controller Set” ;)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 15, 2012 @ 05:29 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Correct! :-D

However, you may find that MW is already assigned to its typical job of Pitch Modulation Depth control… fortunately, with the MOX you have other controllers that are up to the task.

INSERTION EFFECTS are those that can be controlled in real time. In a real world analogy, A VOICE is like an individual musician - the Insert Effects are the ones the individual musician can control in real time… like a pair of stomp boxes...the musican wants to be able to control them during their performance.

By reducing the DRY/WET balance to all the way “DRY”, you are in affect turning the Insert OFF. However, you will discover that not all INSERT EFFECTS can be controlled by a DRY/WET balance - so your mileage will vary.

Those that your typical “effect Effects” will have a DRY/WET balance (delays, chorus, flangers, etc.), but those that are utilities (for lack of a better word) like EQ, or Compressor/Limiters do not have a DRY/WET balance (for very good reason).

To learn how nauform’s excellent suggestion works call up the following VOICE and study how its CONTROL SET is configured:

PRE 5:037(C05) Huge Lead
This Synth Lead VOICE has a Tempo Control Delay as INSERT “B” under control of Assign Knob 1
Press [EDIT]
Press [COMMON]
Press [F4] CTL SET (Controller Set)

The Controller Set allows you to assign 6 physical controllers (SOURCE) to 6 target parameter Destinations (some 100 parameter destinations are available including control over certain available Insert Effect parameters)
Press [SF1] SET1/2

Here you will discover that in Control Set #2: AS1(16) (Assignable Knob 1 - sending Control Change #016). It is set to control the “DRY/WET Balance” parameter of “INS B” (which happens to be the Tempo Control Delay you hear). You turn the ASSIGN 1 Knob counter-clockwise to reduce (remove) the delay

To access the ASSIGN 1 knob - you press the upper KNOB button (left front panel) to select the TONE 3 row .
As you turn the knob you will see the pop-up screen that informs you of the current value as you change it and it also shows you the “original” value as a reference. The pop-up screen will disappear when you have completed moving the knob (how long that screen appears is programmable, as well).

Inserting the CC message into a SEQ
If you wish to do this by entering a command in the sequencer, simply insert a value of 0 for CONTROL CHANGE #016 to eliminate the Delay. Here’s how
In your SONG
Select the Track containing the VOICE you want to control [1]-[16]
Press [EDIT] to view the EVENT LIST for that track
Move the cursor DOWN and set the EVENT TYPE = CONTROL CHANGE
then you can set the MEASURE: BEAT: CLOCK and set the CC = 016

A value of 0 is minimum
A value of 64 is DRY = WET
A avlue of 127 is completely WET

Press [F6] SET to enter the value into the sequencer.

Since the original stored setting for this particular item was Dry = Wet, a value of 64 would return the Effect as it was originally.

In general you want to avoid SYSTEM EXCLUSIVE until absolutely necessary. Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 15, 2012 @ 06:27 PM
nauform
Joined  06-16-2011

:D B_M you’re the man! The only one in your especies explaining about the Motif/MOX.

Bad_Mister - 15 May 2012 05:29 PM

… The Controller Set allows you to assign 6 physical controllers (SOURCE)…

hmm, here Yamaha should extend the idea to non physical controllers and CC=1-127 should be available as “Source” like other synths that I’ve programed. This case explains why.

... to 6 target parameter Destinations (some 100 parameter destinations are available including control over certain available Insert Effect parameters) ...

Oh! Here your’re: the beast. Yamaha did a very good job including more destinations than many other synths

In general you want to avoid SYSTEM EXCLUSIVE until absolutely necessary

Totally agree and if it’s necessary I would advise at the beginning or in a break of a song.

[ Ignore ]