mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOTIF XF REMOTE Controlling PROTOOLS"

Posted on: April 06, 2012 @ 08:32 PM
a.lorenzi
Total Posts:  10
Joined  10-04-2011

Hi guys. I installed the 1.30 OS today and I’m trying to control the transport on Protools.
I play in a band and I have a session on protools with many songs, that we use some recorded vocals, percussion and electronic stuff. I use a memory location list on protools to change the songs and I would like to be able to start/stop the songs using MOTIF.
I searched this forum and other sites, and I read that I have to set protools to Motif Port 2, using the same HUI Controller’s configuration. But I didn’t work.
I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2012 @ 08:38 PM
a.lorenzi
Joined  10-04-2011

By the way, this information I referred to:

Just 3 steps:

1 - Update your Motif XF to OS version 1.30.
2 - Install Yamaha Midi Drivers on your computer (Mac or PC).
3 - Configure Motif XF (Port 2) as a HUI Controller in Pro Tools =>
1. Setup => Midi => Input Devices => Select all Motif XF Ports.
2. Setup => Peripherals => Midi Controllers => in “#1” or other number => HUI => in “Receive From” and “Send To” => Motif XF Port 2.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2012 @ 10:27 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

You don’t mention how you have your Motif XF connected to your computer…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2012 @ 11:31 PM
a.lorenzi
Joined  10-04-2011

Ops, sorry.
I’m using a Mbox 2 pro interface to computer and the motif is connected to computer via usb.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2012 @ 10:23 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

We can help you with your setup of the Motif XF:

We now know you have a USB connection between the Motif XF and the computer (we still don’t know if it is a Mac or a PC but will assume it is one or the other).  you can verfiy that you have a good USB connection and communication between your XF and your computer as follows:

In the Motif XF make sure you are set to use USB for MIDI communication with Pro Tools:
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F5] CONTROL
Press [SF1] REMOTE
Select “PRO TOOLS” as your DAW TYPE
Press [SF2] MIDI
Set the INTERFACE > MIDI IN/OUT = USB
Press [STORE] to write these preferences to your XF’s UTILITY mode.

If you are using a Mac:
Go to SYSTEM PREFERENCES > OTHER > Yamaha USB MIDI Driver
Click it to launch its Control Panel
It should find your Motif XF.

If you are using a PC:
Go to CONTROL PANEL > HARDWARE and SOUNDS > Yamaha USB MIDI Driver
Click it to launch its Control Panel
It should find your Motif XF

once you can verify this - redo your directions for using Pro Tools and you selected audio interface (sorry, we cannot help with those)… The XF uses Port 2 for the Remote Control Port - make sure it is selected in your DAW for this purpose only.

Your XF uses Port 1 for musical performance data (notes, controllers, tempo)
Port 2 is for Remote Control surface commands only
Port 3 is for connecting an external MIDI device through the XF, using the 5 pin MIDI jacks
Port 4 is reserved for the Motif XF Editors

Connect the Left and Right Main (analog) audio outputs to your audio interface
(alternatively you can use the S/PDIF digital output) it depends on your audio interface.

In order to use the Motif XF’s front panel Knobs, Sliders, Transport, buttons, etc. to control your DAW you must activate the REMOTE ON/OFF switch. The screen will go to the REMOTE mode - and the front panel is now retasked to control your selected DAW.

Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2012 @ 04:25 PM
a.lorenzi
Joined  10-04-2011

Hey, Bad Mister. Thank you so much. It worked. Actually, I forgot to activate the Remote on/off.
One more question - when I am controlling a DAW with the Remote ON, can I use the other modes on MOTIF, like the voice mode or performance mode?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2012 @ 05:06 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

In order to use the Motif XF’s front panel Knobs, Sliders, Transport, buttons, etc. to control your DAW you must activate the REMOTE ON/OFF switch. The screen will go to the REMOTE mode - and the front panel is now retasked to control your selected DAW.

And it is also true to use the front panel Knobs, Sliders, Transport, buttons, etc. to control your Motif XF you must deactivate the REMOTE ON/OFF Switch. The screen will return to the NORMAL mode and the front panel now controls your Motif XF.

Make sense?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2012 @ 06:39 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Now that I’ve said that, I imagine you can control the XF within the Remote layer same as any other VSTi - I’ve not really spent anytime doing that but it is certainly a possibility.

The VSTi interface is available in the REMOTE CONTROL screen so you can certainly access the XF’s front panel parameters (and more)… the REMOTE layer screen lets you select and control parameters via the 8 KNOBS… there are something like 29 PAGES of parameters available.

When you access the INST (which is VSTI) you can select the Motif XF VST
Then when you switch to the layer with PAGE UP and PAGE DOWN… there are 29 PAGES (in sets of 8) of XF VST parameters availble.

I just tried this out and there are some groups of 8 that are quite useful - check it out.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 08, 2012 @ 07:30 PM
sounds
Total Posts:  4
Joined  11-18-2011

Hi guys, I would like to build on this particular issue.

I have almost exactly the same trouble but I’m using the FW connection rather than USB.
My setup: Windows 7 32bit, Pro Tools 9, Motif XF8 OS v 1.3, Steinberg FW Driver v1.08 (visible from windows Control Panel).

All works very well when using Cubase AI5 with Motif extensions installed, so the tricky problem is setting Pro Tools up correctly. I can successfully record Motif XF MIDI data to a Pro Tools instrument track and also have no problem bussing individual Motif audio tracks to respective individual pro Tools audio tracks.

I have followed the same steps as above except:
… Motif [SF2] MIDI INTERFACE > MIDI IN/OUT = FW
… step 2 modified: Setup => Peripherals => Midi Controllers => in “#1” or other number => HUI => in “Receive From” and “Send To” => Motif XF MAIN / MIDI-IN / REMOTE respectively.

Any one of these choices results in Pro Tools error: “PT is unable to communicate with HUI Controller”.
Ultimately, I wish to use the Motif XF with FW as ASIO main L/R output, record multiple audio tracks simultaneously and control a couple of MIDI Instruments in the same multi track PT session.
I understand that the USB and FW interfaces can not be used simultaneously. 
I can not find a solution on Avid pro tools website. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 08, 2012 @ 09:11 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

You won’t find much in the way of help on Avid’s website. You have to
join one of the Pro Tools user forums, like this one:

http://duc.avid.com/

or this one:

http://homerecording.com/bbs/user-forums-brand/pro-tools-forum/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2012 @ 12:47 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

I have followed the same steps as above except:
… Motif [SF2] MIDI INTERFACE > MIDI IN/OUT = FW
… step 2 modified: Setup => Peripherals => Midi Controllers => in “#1” or other number => HUI => in “Receive From” and “Send To” => Motif XF MAIN / MIDI-IN / REMOTE respectively.

I’m sorry, I do not know Pro Tools so reading the above means absolutely nothing to me as I can’t tell what is selected. I can tell you that the Motif XF uses a discreet PORT for remote control surface communication - if you think you have selected it, then fine.
Motif XF Main - is the port for your musical performance data (note-ons, controllers, tempo)
Motif XF MIDI IN - refers literally to the Motif XF’s MIDI IN jack on the back panel. This is for an external device connected to the XF.
Motif XF Remote - is specifically for the REMOTE CONTROL protocol of the selected DAW

Any one of these choices results in Pro Tools error: “PT is unable to communicate with HUI Controller”.
Ultimately, I wish to use the Motif XF with FW as ASIO main L/R output, record multiple audio tracks simultaneously and control a couple of MIDI Instruments in the same multi track PT session.
I understand that the USB and FW interfaces can not be used simultaneously. 
I can not find a solution on Avid pro tools website. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

One of the plans for this spring is to get perhaps the basic setup info posted here somewhere. Please standby.

One thing that can help with the audio routing is that the Motif XF has 16 audio bus outputs via FW; the Main L/R and fourteen assignables. Cubase (because of the “Motif XF Extensions” correctly identifies them by name).  Your DAW may only see them by number - which causes the following offset:
No. - Extension Name
1 = Motif XF Main Left
2 = Motif XF Main Right
3 = Motif XF 1
4 = Motif XF 2
5 = Motif XF 3
6 = Motif XF 4
7 = Motif XF 5
8 = Motif XF 6
9 = Motif XF 7
10 = Motif XF 8
11 = Motif XF 9
12 = Motif XF 10
13 = Motif XF 11
14 = Motif XF 12
15 = Motif XF 13
16 = Motif XF 14

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2012 @ 10:31 PM
a.lorenzi
Joined  10-04-2011

Hey, Bad Mister. Thank you so much for your help.
Now I’m using the Remote mode only to start/stop Protools. After pressing the start button, I go back to Motif voice mode and play and use the sliders and knobs normally. When I want to stop Protools I go again to Remote mode and press stop.
It is working for my needs.
Also, do you know if is it possible to control 2 different things from Motif at the same time, like Protools on Remote mode via usb and an external module by midi out on Motif, just to use motif keys?

It’s very nice to be part of this Motifator Forum.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2012 @ 11:14 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Also, do you know if is it possible to control 2 different things from Motif at the same time, like Protools on Remote mode via usb and an external module by midi out on Motif, just to use motif keys?

Yes, this is already setup and happening. Here’s how to use it.

When you are connected to your computer via Firewire the XF communicates with the computer on multiple ports.
Motif XF Main - is just what you think. The MAIN MIDI output for your musical performance data (note-ons, controllers, tempo, etc)
Motif XF REMOTE - is the port that is reserved exclusively for DAW remote control
Motif XF MIDI IN/Motif XF MIDI OUT is the port that allows you to connect an external keyboard to your DAW. Any key presses that you make on that external keyboard pass through the XF (without stopping) and are routed directly through to the computer where they are identifed as “Motif XF MIDI IN”.

Any track in your DAW that you set to “Motif XF MIDI OUT” will pass through the XF (without stopping) and are routed to the MIDI OUT jack on the XF back panel.

With this setup, you set the Motif XF to LOCAL CONTROL = OFF.
your XF key presses will now travel OUT via FW-MIDI to your DAW (Pro Tools) where you will setup a MIDI Track that echoes the MIDI data to the device you want to play:
If you set the track’s MIDI OUT = “Motif XF Main” the XF sounds
If you set the track’s MIDI OUT = “Motif XF MIDI OUT” the external keyboard sounds

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2012 @ 02:38 AM
a.lorenzi
Joined  10-04-2011

Thanks again for your help. But in my case, I’m using USB to computer. I don’t have the firewire expansion.
On Utility mode I have to choose MIDI or USB. If I choose USB to use the remote with Protools the midi out don’t send data to the module.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2012 @ 06:06 AM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010
a.lorenzi - 10 April 2012 02:38 AM

...But in my case, I’m using USB to computer. I don’t have the firewire expansion.

So you can use USB instead of FW. The USB option gives you 4 MIDI ports as described by Bad_Mister earlier in this thread.

On Utility mode I have to choose MIDI or USB.

You need to choose USB.

If I choose USB to use the remote with Protools the midi out don’t send data to the module.

As described by Bad_Mister above, you need to create a track in Pro Tools that echoes the MIDI data received from your Motif (on Port 1) to the external module connected to the 5-pin DIN MIDI jacks of your Motif (on Port 3).

So, the routing goes like this:

Motif -> (on Port 1) -> Pro Tools -> (on Port 3) -> Ext. Module (connected to Motif via MIDI cable)

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Add a trill triggered by AF1?
Next Topic:

slice... ››