mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Need programming help.."

Page 1 of 3
Posted on: March 28, 2012 @ 06:42 PM
momsfudge59
Total Posts:  21
Joined  08-14-2008

I am headed on a major tour this summer.  I want to use my 2 Motif XS8s and a laptop to create the soundscapes for the tour.  I need basic (BASIC) advice on how to connect the two XS’s and the computer so I utilize the bottom synth for program changes and the top synth and laptop for sounds.  I have either MainStage, Digital Performer or Logic on my laptop.

Any takers??

Mark LeVang

Image Attachments
IMG_1318.JPG
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 28, 2012 @ 07:03 PM
delirium
Total Posts:  2441
Joined  11-16-2006

why only two motif XS???

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 28, 2012 @ 07:22 PM
momsfudge59
Joined  08-14-2008

I only have 4 hands!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 28, 2012 @ 08:58 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

The answer to your question is not that simple, and I’ve recently decided
to stop being an unpaid consultant so I won’t go into exactly what you
need to do. I will tell you this - you will need an interface for your laptop that has a MIDI IN and MIDI OUT as well as either a FireWire or
USB connection. I recommend FireWire because otherwise you’re tying up
your USB port.

If you’ve got Digital Performer, then MOTU’s Ultralite Mk 3 is a great interface that will work with DP, Logic, Pro Tools, or any other DAW you
have installed.

Surely you live in an area where you can find someone knowledgeable to help you get your setup going?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 28, 2012 @ 09:20 PM
tbone
Total Posts:  318
Joined  02-15-2009
DavePolich - 28 March 2012 08:58 PM

The answer to your question is not that simple, and I’ve recently decided
to stop being an unpaid consultant so I won’t go into exactly what you
need to do.

What a smug answer.  Really, Dave.  Why waste your precious time at all.  Must be hard times…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 28, 2012 @ 09:28 PM
tbone
Joined  02-15-2009

Both of the XS8’s are equipped with Firewire and can be addressed by your DAW for program changes, MIDI triggered events, etc. 

How complex are your soundscapes?  You “could” program all and store as a SONG or PATTERN and interact with each soundscape with either board…

How many of these soundscapes are you creating?  I want to assume you’re just opening some performances with a little synth showcase… no?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 28, 2012 @ 09:35 PM
momsfudge59
Joined  08-14-2008

Thank you so much for your response.

I have spoken with Yamaha and have gotten only this far:

Updated both XS’s firmware . 1.6
Installed Yamaha/Steinberg FW driver onto MacBook Pro
Plugged XS8 1 into XS8 2 via FW cable.
Came out of XS8 2 into FW port on MacBook Pro.

Opened AudioMidi Setup
Created New Configuration
AudioMidi Setup only sees XS8 1

Until I get this connection issue figured out, I’m dead…

Really appreciate your time sir..

Mark LeVang

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 28, 2012 @ 09:54 PM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010

Check the Device Number and MIDI In/Out settings under UTILITY for both your synths. See Page 268 of the XS Owner’s Manual. I think you must assign different Device Numbers to the two XS8s, otherwise both will get recognized as Device Number 1.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 28, 2012 @ 10:02 PM
momsfudge59
Joined  08-14-2008

Updated everything. Changed to Device 1 and 2. Midi out mLAN for both.  Now Audio Midi sees nothing.  I cannot even get the bottom XS to control the upper XS via FW.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 29, 2012 @ 12:34 AM
MarPabl
Total Posts:  560
Joined  09-08-2011

Have you upgraded the firmware for the mLAN16E2 cards in order to be able to use Yamaha Steinberg FireWire drivers? You can tell if you’ve upgraded successfully by checking MIDI options on UTILITY mode: one of those options must be FW. If you still see mLAN, then make sure to upgrade: IEEE1394 Firmware Updater Ver.1.07 for Mac OS X

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 29, 2012 @ 02:33 AM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002
momsfudge59 - 28 March 2012 10:02 PM

Updated everything. Changed to Device 1 and 2. Midi out mLAN for both.  Now Audio Midi sees nothing.  I cannot even get the bottom XS to control the upper XS via FW.

Ok, I can’t stand suffering.

Number 1 - trying to hook up everything with mLan isn’t working for you (obviously). You need an audio midi device, hook that up to your computer,
then plug your controller Motif into that via MIDI OUT from it to the MIDI IN on the interface. Then route MIDI OUT from the interface to your
controlling Motif and from the THRU of the controlling Motif to the
second Motif.

I’ve said this countless times to other people - use MIDI. Please. It’s
what works. Your AudioMIDI Setup sees a Motif connected via USB or Firewire as an audio interface, and not as a synthesizer/controller. Yes, there’s a convoluted way to get it working with mLan or USB (maybe) but good old MIDI works every time, all the time, and gives you more flexibility. It’s what I used for the keyboard rigs for Michael Jackson’s This Is It show, it’s what I currently use for the keyboard rigs for David Foster’s tours.

Start by getting yourself an audio-midi Firewire interface, like the
MOTU Ultralite. Let us know when you have that, and we can go from there.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 29, 2012 @ 03:06 AM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010

Dave,

You’re very experienced and knowledgeable too and I respect you for that. I’m only a novice, so maybe I’m missing something. I fail to understand your point. There is no way for you to connect a computer with a synthesizer without getting an (Audio/MIDI) interface. The options for your interfaces are either PCI, USB or FW based - computers don’t come with MIDI ports. In any case, you have to make that interface work with PCI, USB or FW by installing appropriate drivers/software and making all the configuration settings.

My point is: you already have a built-in 4-port USB MIDI interface in every XS. Additionally, the XS8 comes factory-fitted with a FW Audio-MIDI interface that, imho, has no parallel in terms of the flexibility and functionality it offers to you.

So, why not make what you already have work rather than buying something new and make that work?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 29, 2012 @ 03:59 AM
sciuriware
Total Posts:  9999
Joined  08-18-2003

I consider the reaction by tbone to Dave’s answer impudent.
I wonder if he would do IT work for anyone here for free.
Usually IT-workers are more stingy than others.
How do I know?

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 29, 2012 @ 04:02 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

By setting one of the Motif’s to Device 1 and the other to 2 you can use the Motif XS Editors (two instances) and set each to address one or the other of the Motif XS8 by simply matching the DEVICE NUMBER.

Here is the checklist for setting up both Motif XS8’s on the same daisy chain using the Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver:

Set both Motif XS to automatically load the following preference:
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F1] GENERAL
Press [SF4] AUTO LOAD
Set the IEEE1394 Driver = FW
Important: You will need to [STORE] this preference and reboot your Motif XS for this to take place. Once you have done this this setting will remain until you change the setting or you load in an ALL data file that contains different UTILITY mode preferences. (Be very careful when loading in ALL data files that you have made previous to making this setting, as an old ALL data file may switch this to the previous setting. You should be careful to LOAD using the “ALL WITHOUT SYSTEM” Type until you are sure you have updated all your own personal files.

Set both Motif XS to MIDI IN/OUT = mLAN. Here’s how:
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F5] CONTROL
Press [SF2] MIDI
Set MIDI IN/OUT = mLAN
Press [STORE] to write this to your Flash ROM

Engage the FW Driver
Once you have connected the first Motif XS to the secon Motif XS then to your Mac via firewire you need to verify that the Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver is selected. The Driver is designed to be exceptionally simple and easy to set up. It appears as an icon in SYSTEM PREFERENCES > OTHER. Clicking the icon will open the Control Panel. You should see four tabs: GENERAL - MOTIF XS8 - MOTIF XS8 - ABOUT. You can connect at 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96 kHz sample rates. Select the one you wish to use (realizing that the higher the sample rate, the greater the file size).

Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 29, 2012 @ 07:04 AM
tbone
Joined  02-15-2009
sciuriware - 29 March 2012 03:59 AM

I consider the reaction by tbone to Dave’s answer impudent.
I wonder if he would do IT work for anyone here for free.
Usually IT-workers are more stingy than others.
How do I know?

;JOOP!

You either respond, or you don’t.  We can live without the “i don’t work for free” comment. If you don’t want to help, don’t post.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 29, 2012 @ 07:42 AM
sciuriware
Total Posts:  9999
Joined  08-18-2003

Behave!

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 3

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Arpeggio chords
Next Topic:

Velocity Speed Up ››