mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How to make a pattern follow the keyboard notes?"

Posted on: March 24, 2012 @ 08:46 PM
cassdad
Total Posts:  64
Joined  04-30-2009

I made a pattern, but it keeps playing the same notes/chords in which I originally recorded it.  What is the “setting” that makes the pattern follow the notes I play on the keyboard? 

For example:  I played and recorded a “C” chord.... now when I play an “E” on the keyboard, I would like it to play back in that key, or any other key.  How do I get it to change keys, “on the fly”, as I play (like some arpeggios do)?

Thank you in advance!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2012 @ 09:19 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

If you “made a pattern” then it does not adjust to chords. Nothing does that. The Pattern sequencer records MIDI events and plays back exactly what was recorded. MIDI sequence data does not adjust to chord qualities… C Major, D minor, F dominant, etc… It only plays back exactly what you played.

You are mixing up what a PERFORMANCE is and what a PATTERN is…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 25, 2012 @ 03:09 AM
cassdad
Joined  04-30-2009

OK, yes, I acknowledge I’m confused, can’t figure it out.  FWIW, it’s not for lack of trying or reading.  Regardless, can you please advise what it is that does indeed follow the keys that are played?  Do I need to make the pattern into an arpeggio?  And, if so, then what is the arpeggio setting that makes it follow the keys?  (Or are you implying that it is a setting in the Performance Mode?)

Thank you, again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 25, 2012 @ 03:24 AM
cassdad
Joined  04-30-2009

OK, I think I’m getting close....  I found this response, which I think is getting me in the right direction:

Bad_Mister - 23 May 2011 08:39 AM

Yes, the CONVERT TYPE must be set properly if you want your arp to transpose when you hit different keys.

For example, if you select “fixed” the arp pattern will not transpose - it will play a fixed set of notes (great for drum arps). If you set the CONVERT TYPE to ORG NOTES and set an ORG NOTE ROOT, you can have the arp change as you touch different keys with the arp’s Note Limit region.

I just don’t know where to find the “Convert Type”, and in which mode, but I’ll start hunting.

Thank you!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 25, 2012 @ 12:35 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Okay. If you have recorded a phrase to the PATTERN sequencer, and have decided it is appropriate to turn into an arpeggio, you can do so using one of the PATTERN Jobs.

Select the track that contains the data.
Press [JOB]
Press [F5] TRACK
Select JOB 07: Put Track to Arpeggio
Press [ENTER]

In the dialog box that come up you can setup to turn your MIDI data into a USER ARPEGGIO. There is room for 256 USER arpeggios in the XS.

Set the number of measures. Initially it is set to capture just the first measure 001-002
Please take notice that 001-002 is the setting to capture data between the top of measure 1 to the top of measure 2 which is 1 complete measure.
If your Pattern Phrase is 008 measures in length, you would set the number of measures = 001-009

Set the target USER arpeggio number 001 through 256
you can set a Category and Type if you wish

The grid at the bottom is where you set the Convert Type
Since you are converting the data from a single track set the first column so that

ARP TR 1 is set to your Track’s Number and
CONVERT TYPE = ORG NOTE

Cursor up to the parameter which only appears when you select Original Note and set the “ORIGINAL NOTE ROOT” - this will determine *where* on the keyboard you will get the original pitch range (which octave will trigger the original pitches once the data is an arp).

Say you record a chord pattern with a C Major 7 chord using the C starting at middle “C” you would set the ROOT = C3. This would mean when converted to an arpeggio if you play C major 7 chord including C3 it will sound the original pitches.

Once you convert this to a USER ARPEGGIO, you will be able to apply it to any VOICE or PART that you select it for. Assigning this arpeggio to a Voice or Part is handled in exactly the same manner as assigning a Preset Arpeggio, you simply select one of the 256 USER ARPs instead of the 6633 PRESET ARPs. 

“Original Note” as an Arpeggio Convert Type will allow you to create an arpeggio that is chord intelligent and that transpose.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 25, 2012 @ 07:45 PM
cassdad
Joined  04-30-2009

Wow, Mr. Clendeninn, I think I understand, thank you SO much.  (I’m sure you must get tired of explaining this repeatedly.) I greatly appreciate your patience and time responding!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 18, 2017 @ 12:20 AM
cassdad
Joined  04-30-2009

You previously (in 2012) educated me on how to convert a Pattern to an Arpeggio on my Motif XS8.  I now want to convert a Pattern to an Arpeggio (or just simply create an Arpeggio) on my MOXF8, but have searched, and cannot find anything that tells me how to create an Arpeggio on the MOXF8, nor how to convert a Pattern (I created) to an Arpeggio on the MOXF8.

Can you educate me, please?

Thx,
Keith

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 18, 2017 @ 01:11 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
cassdad - 18 December 2017 12:20 AM

I now want to convert a Pattern to an Arpeggio (or just simply create an Arpeggio) on my MOXF8, but have searched, and cannot find anything that tells me how to create an Arpeggio on the MOXF8, nor how to convert a Pattern (I created) to an Arpeggio on the MOXF8.

The procedure on the MOXF is basically the same as on the XS.
See Creating an Arpeggio on pages 125-126 of the MOXF Reference Manual (http://download.yamaha.com/file/60478). Note that the MOXF manual inconsistently indicates that “Put Track To Arp” is “06” and “07”, so choose the correct one.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 18, 2017 @ 04:23 AM
cassdad
Joined  04-30-2009

Thank you, 5Pin DIN....  that helps in that I now know that I need to be on the “Track” tab to get the correct set of Jobs (which includes to make an Arpeggio).  My next hurdle, however, is that I cannot figure out how to “Select a Track”....  Specifically how do I do that?  I can’t find anything that let’s me “select” one or more Tracks!  Any help will be most appreciated!  Thank you, Keith

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 18, 2017 @ 09:38 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
cassdad - 18 December 2017 04:23 AM

Thank you, 5Pin DIN.... that helps in that I now know that I need to be on the “Track” tab to get the correct set of Jobs (which includes to make an Arpeggio).

You’re welcome.

cassdad -

My next hurdle, however, is that I cannot figure out how to “Select a Track”....  Specifically how do I do that?  I can’t find anything that let’s me “select” one or more Tracks!

Track selection is shown on the diagram on page 125. For clarity I’ve isolated the relevant portion in the attachment.

Up to four of the Pattern’s sixteen Tracks can be selected for the Arp.
1) Set ArpTrack to 1, 2, 3, or 4
2) Set Track to TR01~TR16 or “off”
3) Repeat 1 and 2 for the four Arp Tracks

Image Attachments
Track Select.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 18, 2017 @ 03:20 PM
cassdad
Joined  04-30-2009

Excellent, thank you!  Don’t know why I didn’t notice that, ugh.  So I’m assuming that I can only put one channel at a time to an arpeggio (I canNOT do tracks 1, 3 & 4 at one time)?  Thanks, again!  - Keith

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 18, 2017 @ 03:59 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
cassdad - 18 December 2017 03:20 PM

So I’m assuming that I can only put one channel at a time to an arpeggio (I canNOT do tracks a, 3 & 4 at one time)?

No “channels” are involved, just Tracks.

Please reread my previous post.
“Up to four of the Pattern’s sixteen Tracks can be selected for the Arp.”
-- and --
3) Repeat 1 and 2 for the four Arp Tracks

For your example…
Set ArpTrack to 1
Set Track to TR03

Set ArpTrack to 2
Set Track to TR04

Set ArpTrack to 3
Set Track to off

Set ArpTrack to 4
Set Track to off

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 18, 2017 @ 10:01 PM
cassdad
Joined  04-30-2009

OK, thank you 5pinDIN, I really appreciate the support and your patience!  Thx, Keith

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 18, 2017 @ 10:38 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
cassdad - 18 December 2017 10:01 PM

OK, thank you 5pinDIN, I really appreciate the support and your patience!  Thx, Keith

No problem - I realize that the manuals often don’t make things as clear as they could.

[ Ignore ]