mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Running traditional Midi (5pin DIN) and USB Midi in Logic 8"

Posted on: March 14, 2012 @ 12:07 PM
omar17166
Total Posts:  150
Joined  11-18-2011

Hi!
I’m running Logic 8 and my Midi instruments (XF + other instruments) are at the moment connected via 5pin DIN Midi. I plan to make use of the Studio Manager/XF Editor and run the Editor along side Logic to control the Motif. This means that I need to run my Motif connection over USB Midi. I would want of course to keep the 5pin DIN connection for the other (older) instruments.

Can Logic handle that? I.e. 2 Midi drivers?

I’m thinking of keeping ports 1-8 for my 8-port Midi controller. So that ports-9 onwards can be used for USB Midi.

Am I thinking along the right lines? Are there any problems or things to watch out for?

I have an old PowerPC iMac running OSX 10.4.11.

Thanks for any help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 14, 2012 @ 02:20 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004
omar17166 - 14 March 2012 12:07 PM

Hi!
I’m running Logic 8 and my Midi instruments (XF + other instruments) are at the moment connected via 5pin DIN Midi. I plan to make use of the Studio Manager/XF Editor and run the Editor along side Logic to control the Motif. This means that I need to run my Motif connection over USB Midi. I would want of course to keep the 5pin DIN connection for the other (older) instrums
Can Logic handle that?

yes

I’m thinking of keeping ports 1-8 for my 8-port Midi controller. So that ports-9 onwards can be used for USB Midi.

Am I thinking along the right lines?

no… First if all, (ports-9 onwards), I have no idea what you are referring to. The Yamaha USB Driver has its own ports within Logic. The main port accesses the xf’s tone generator. The second, anything physically connected to the motif’s MIDI out jack. The third, is for remote control of Logic via the motif.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 14, 2012 @ 03:40 PM
omar17166
Total Posts:  150
Joined  11-18-2011

motif8mine
no… First if all, (ports-9 onwards), I have no idea what you are referring to. The Yamaha USB Driver has its own ports within Logic. The main port accesses the xf’s tone generator. The second, anything physically connected to the motif’s MIDI out jack. The third, is for remote control of Logic via the motif.

Thank you motif8mine! I think I get it now. I was thinking wrong. I’ve just checked the setup in Logic and the ports 1-8 are local to the particular driver of the Midi controller I’m using and they’re in my case called AMT-1, AMT-2, .. up to -8. Somehow I was thinking of this port numbering as being global to the PC!

So in this case, if I understand this right, When I install the USB driver I’ll just have the additional 4 ports called something like USB-1, USB-2 up to -4, in addition to my existing AMT-1, -2, etc.

In this case I’d be able to route one Logic Midi track to, let’s say, AMT-2 (addressing one of my other instruments) and route another Midi track to USB-1 addressing the Motif.

Have I got it right?

Thanks/Omar

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 19, 2012 @ 07:19 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Sorry for the delay- but yes…

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Trouble Setting Up Motif XF6 as External MIDI in Logic
Next Topic: