mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Loading userbanks with 128 voices"

Posted on: March 12, 2012 @ 11:38 AM
Vindbaek
Total Posts:  176
Joined  02-21-2009

If I load one userbank - do I then also load the userarpeggios to that voices?

If yes - what happens with the userarpeggios when i load one voice-userbank to fx. user 2 and then another voicebank from another library to fx. user 3?

The question is if I will overwrite existing userarpeggios so I erase the user arpeggios used in bank 2 when I load another voicebank from another library to user 3.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 12, 2012 @ 03:07 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

If I load one userbank - do I then also load the userarpeggios to that voices?

No. USER ARPEGGIOS are either loaded when you load an ALL data file (.X3A) or when you load an ARPEGGIO file (.X3G)

If yes - what happens with the userarpeggios when i load one voice-userbank to fx. user 2 and then another voicebank from another library to fx. user 3?

The answer was no. When you load ALL or an ARPEGGIO file it will replace the user arpeggios already in memory.

The question is if I will overwrite existing userarpeggios so I erase the user arpeggios used in bank 2 when I load another voicebank from another library to user 3.

Well, you do not load arps when you load just a bank..

The solution is to get the JOHN MELAS WAVEFORM EDITOR it has the ability to assemble and manage USER ARPS from various files allowing you to maintain the relationship between VOICE and USER ARPS, and to assemble arps from various files.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 13, 2012 @ 06:39 AM
Vindbaek
Joined  02-21-2009

I’m not sure I understand the answer. I´m only downloading userarpeggios when loading an “allfile” (.X3A) or (.X3G) but then when I download an entire userbank of 128 voices to a userbank in the XF, anyway I risk to erase the userarpeggios being used in another userbank in the XF. It must mean that I could be downloading some userarpeggios along with the voices -even though I only load the 128-voicebank(?) or the single-voice (?)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 13, 2012 @ 08:45 AM
Vindbaek
Joined  02-21-2009

Sorry - I have to read everything you wrote, and you answered that already :o) I just misunderstood.

So, - I do not load arps when I just load one user bank.

I only erase /exchange arps when loading an ALL data file (.X3A) or when you load an ARPEGGIO file (.X3G), and there is no need to worry erasing userarpeggios, when loading only a 128-voicebank or a single-voice. Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 13, 2012 @ 10:51 AM
omar17166
Total Posts:  150
Joined  11-18-2011

Well, you do not load arps when you load just a bank..

I see the rules here and appreciate this flexibility, but when I read this I get some basic question marks in my mind as to how this would work in practice:

1) When we say a VOICE and its ARP do we mean its default ARP? Because I can always go in and select any of the 1000 or so other available ARPs to go with that voice before I include it into my song or session.

2) When I load a new USR Bank I assume it came from a new acquired library. This library most probably has ARPs made to suit the new voices. The question then is why would I use whatever ARPs existed there for the old voices? (again, I’m assuming we’re talking about the default ARP, I can’t see what else it can be!).

3) The old VOICES in the bank might be drum voices with ARPS suitable for drums. How will a new USR bank of organs sound with these?

Finally, I’m sure I’m missing/misunderstanding something. It’s just that I’ve seen several discussions here where VOICES and ARPs are referred to as similar entities while I understand them as the VOICE being the “physical” entity while an ARP as being the piece of software that controls it. So I hope that now, once and for all, I can get this clarified.

Thank you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 13, 2012 @ 03:07 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Arpeggios are programmed and exist independent of VOICES. When you STORE a Voice to a USER location you can associate it with 5 Arpeggio types [SF1]-[SF5].  There are over 6700 arpeggios in the PRESET ARP library that comes with every XF, there are 256 USER ARP locations.

It is the USER ARPEGGIOS that we are referring to here. The problem with USER ARPS that arises is in how USER arpeggio data is saved and loaded.
You can either 1) Load the USER ARPS by loading an ALL data file (which replaces everything)
or 2) you can load the USER ARPS by loading an ALL ARPEGGIO file (which replaces all user arpeggios)

This is a problem when you want to assemble arpeggios from two different libraries. There is no way (from the XF front panel) to load an individual ARPEGGIO from within a File… and loading the individual VOICE does not automatically load the data of an associated USER ARP. The VOICE data would simply point to a USER location that contained no arpeggio data.

This is why if you create your own arpeggio data (which you do with the XF sequencer) you should always NAME, STORE and SAVE your source Phrases in the PATTERN Sequencer. This is how you can, if you are into making your own, assemble your own arpeggios into the same data set.

Arps (strangely) in a similar fashion to samples have a unique relationship with the VOICE. They can exist independent of the VOICE and can be used (associated) with any VOICE.

If you get the John Melas (Waveform Editor) it allows you to easily extract the arpeggio data from an ALL data file so that you can import it into another file (it lets you elegantly assemble apeggio data from multiple files) and this is essential when you have purchased the arps, because if you did not make them yourself, you do not have the source phrases.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 13, 2012 @ 05:54 PM
omar17166
Total Posts:  150
Joined  11-18-2011

Thank you Bad_Mister for the detailed explanation. Actually I’d read so much about these John Males tools and I’d been curious to know more and so forth, but I was waiting to learn more about the Motif itself first. But, first, I had some practical queries about these tools (which I wanted to know before purchasing them), and I also had more questions about the Motif XF Editor, the one that runs in Studio Manager. But for these I’ll open 2 new threads soon!

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Help With MOTIF XF editor VST
Next Topic:

what is Motif XF editor VST? ››