mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Yamaha 1GB Flash/XF"

Posted on: March 06, 2012 @ 05:41 PM
G-XF
Total Posts:  132
Joined  12-08-2007

Hi,Right now I don’t have a flash memory card in my M-XF and I’m planning to purchase one.

Actually I purchased the sound samples of M-XF from the internet and loaded them in M-XF through USB. After loading I played them and it’s very good.

But the problem is that when I load the USB the pre-existing sounds in the user 1-4, they get deleted and the new sounds replace them. So is it possible that the old sounds and the new sounds remain there without being deleted?

And the other problem is that when I load a new sound than in the user area I get mixed up with new and old sounds is there an easy way to find out which sounds are new and which are old?

If I purchase the flash card so what benefits will I have from it? Please explain it in detail.

Best Regards,
Grover.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2012 @ 05:52 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

But the problem is that when I load the USB the pre-existing sounds in the user 1-4, they get deleted and the new sounds replace them. So is it possible that the old sounds and the new sounds remain there without being deleted?

The thing to understand is that there are several ways to LOAD data into your internal Motif XF from your storage device:
You can LOAD VOICES, for example:

ALL - when you load “ALL” everything in USER memory of your XF is replacedthe USER 1, 2, 3, 4 and Drum USER banks are all changed, all the SONGS, PATTERNS, MASTER setups, everything. Literally ALL data.
ALL VOICE - when you load “ALL VOICE” all VOICEs - USER 1, USER 2, USER 3, USER 4 and Drum USER VOICES are replaced.
VOICE - when you load “VOICE” you can select a single VOICE to load - and you can a target an single internal VOICE location
1 BANK VOICE - when you load “1 BANK VOICE” you can select a Bank of 128 VOICES on the storage device and direct it to a USER BANK within your interal XF. This way you can load 128 VOICES at a time and direct them to where you want them.

So once you know what you want to load, and you figure out where you want to put it (you can select what it will overwrite), it is easy. You just have to know when to use the correct LOAD “TYPE” option
Press [FILE]
The cursor sits on “TYPE”
Select the TYPE you want to load. This is the key to it all!

And the other problem is that when I load a new sound than in the user area I get mixed up with new and old sounds is there an easy way to find out which sounds are new and which are old?

Sounds to me you are not sure about the sounds - learning to navigate the file can be tricky at first. You can “open” a file and then search for data within that file, like a bank or even an individual Voice. You use a combination of the CURSOR arrows, Data Wheel, and Front panel Bank/Group/Program buttons to navigate through the data.

Perhaps it would be easier if you assemble them with the EDITOR - for some people it is easier to visiualize.
This all can get complicated especially when you are manipulating samples and waveforms, in addition to VOICEs. If you are serious about getting into FLASH the John Melas Motif XF Tools are essential.

Can it be done without them, well, yes. But with the Melas Tools you don’t have to worry about maintaining the relationships between the VOICE and its associated data, it does it all for you

If I purchase the flash card so what benefits will I have from it? Please explain it in detail.

It’s simple.

You get to customize your own WAVE ROM.
Yamaha gave you 3,977 Waveforms in the Motif XF. From this are built the over 1200 VOICES in the Preset data. You have 1024 Preset VOICES in banks PRE1-PRE8, they are all made from those 3977 Waveforms.
The 64 Drum Kits also made from those Waveforms.
And you can create variations of the Preset VOICES and store them in the 4 USER VOICE Banks (512 locations)… 32 Drum User VOICE locations

There are tons of VOICE LIBRARIES that mean you can select and keep your favorites from each library in your USER banks. If you purchase a VOICE Library and you really like about 35 of the sounds, you do not have to keep all 128 of them in your USER bank, you can select to just load the ones you really like.

in this fashion, you can take the “BEST OF” each library and load them into your USER banks.

Then there are SAMPLE LIBRARIES - these differ from VOICE LIBRARIES in that while the VOICE LIBRARY points to WAVEFORMS from the original 3977 XF WAVE ROM, a SAMPLE Library contains new sampled data - newly created audio data. This is where the VOICE data “points to” a sample that must be loaded into memory.... installed on your FLASH BOARD

Sample libraries allow the Motif XF professional to gather sounds from different places for their specific needs. You don’t fill your FLASH BOARDS with samples you are never going to use. This is your opportunity to build your own custom synth engine. A smart user of the FLASH selects the VOICES they are going to use - and then loads that to a USER location and installs its data to their FLASH BOARD

Selecting VOICES that you want to “keep” is a very much a one by one process. I deal with people everyday that don’t seem to understand this. But it is a “keyboard player thing” (I know, I’m one)… where a guitar player or a trumpet player would spend all day selecting an instrument, when dealing with selecting a sound program in a synth, we keyboard players want to do them by the dozen (actually 128 at a time) lol…

If you buy an organ library - select the ones you want to play. If you never play a Farfisa, why have those Waveforms using up your FLASH Board memory ... not to pick on the Farfisa, but just as an example…
:-)

You can, with a single FLASH Board add some 2048 of your own WAVEFORMS and these are in permanent memory (well, for as long as YOU decide you want them) you can build custom VOICE libraries that use your boards 2048 WAVEFOMRS.

Add a second FLASH Board you can now add another 2048 of your own WAVEFORMS and again these are permanent and will always be there.

Loading in VOICES that you create or that you have purchased means you can completely customize your Motif XF -that is what “user” is all about… it’s your USER banks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2012 @ 08:18 AM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Total Posts:  728
Joined  09-20-2011

Man, that was another absolutely awesome post from BadMister!

I filled all the open slots on my XF when I got it last Sept.
I figured the Firewire Expansion Board and the Flash Memory Boards were part of the accessories that are always fun to get, either with the keys or after.
Please forgive if I sound like I’m boasting but I even splurged for the authentic LG-800 stand…
got a deal for 279!
It’s a perfect fit, I’m a Yamaha Fan for sure.
God Bless the Japanese people.

I’ll probably never know all the Motif XF can do, or how to do it, but it sure is fun trying to get there!  haha!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2012 @ 07:50 PM
Redhotpoker
Total Posts:  3601
Joined  11-18-2010

Eh Bad_Mister,

+1 Thee Book, kind sir

Chas

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Sort Chord Job in Pattern
Next Topic: