mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "HELP me choose the proper syntheziser!"

Page 3 of 3
Posted on: March 07, 2012 @ 08:30 PM
Apex
Total Posts:  683
Joined  10-21-2005
Redhotpoker - 06 March 2012 02:58 AM

Sorry I couldn’t offer anyone advice towards the Kronos, as I’ve never seen one, for real.

Chas

you speak about it as if it’s the loch ness moster!!!!!  or big foot!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2012 @ 06:04 AM
Redhotpoker
Total Posts:  3601
Joined  11-18-2010

Hi Apex ,
Or Ogopogo, in Lake Okanagan, in Kelowna, B.C.
Yes, I live in Edmonton NW, Alberta, Canada friend.
So when the sun goes down, the deadly ‘Kronos Quartet’ run wild and free.
Plus, those being mainly nocturnal & carnivorous ‘Beasty Boy’s’, a tame civilized individual, such as I, could easily have my ________ unwillingly ripped off, or a have a new _____ tore in, as easy as one two three...gotcha by the gonads!!!

Ball’s to the wall, I’m quite sure if I went to any responsible Yamaha dealer such as Axe Music, Long & McQuade, or Mother’s Music (now a Long & McQuade) or others, [no not Giovanni’s they sell Tyros 4 and Yamaha grand pianos], that I could go to their brightly lit Korg corner and sit with a Kronos, just to tickle the keys and gently make adjustments.
I recall seeing a sign with bright orange lettering, above a keyboard once, which reads:
“You play it, & it breaks, you pay for repairs”. j/k
Must have been that light weight constructed Kronos? wide grin

I don’t know why I would Need to see one?
I have a Motif XF8 at my disposal site, here at the home front…

I wasn’t trying to be negative towards them, I honestly have never seen one.
Except for that cardboard cutout, which I gave away at HC KSS. It’s just that simple, yes? smiling broadly

If you read between the lines, and you should not, Please get out of there STAT!!
I never even insinuated, or used any double entendre meaning phrasing.

Just being an honest to goodness fellow, kind sir.
Sooo, you can relax, put down the gun, and smile.
Just as I am, as I write this undo long reply back at/to ya.

Take a few deep breath’s, count to 13, after you take a chill pill.
Now settle down son, no harm no fowl, I mean foul…

But hey, You made an invalid assumption,
& that, comrad, just make’s an ass of you And me.

And they lived happily ever after..

Chas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2012 @ 03:30 PM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

@Chas..... your post could morph into a lyrical composition without too much tweaking, IMHO....barring any copyright infringements.....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2012 @ 07:03 PM
Redhotpoker
Total Posts:  3601
Joined  11-18-2010
richie1027 - 08 March 2012 03:30 PM

@Chas..... your post could morph into a lyrical composition without too much tweaking, IMHO....barring any copyright infringements.....

Hi richie1027,
Eh, you’re a funny guy… but thank you.
Or-Are you being a wise cracker, me boy? because if not,
I should send you a copy of:
“The Vicars Son”

But hey, “it’s my pleasure, to entertain the people” ‘Billy Preston’

I don’t know what you’re talking about, I only come here to look at the pictures… wide beaming smile, teeth sparkling like the snow reflections from the moon light.

If you feel so inclined, listen to the wind in the trees,
there’s a nature song here too,
when the ocean high tide waves, crash against the seawall,
I’ll be enjoying that breeze.

Chas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2012 @ 08:08 PM
sustudio
Total Posts:  159
Joined  05-28-2007
Apex - 07 March 2012 08:30 PM
Redhotpoker - 06 March 2012 02:58 AM

Sorry I couldn’t offer anyone advice towards the Kronos, as I’ve never seen one, for real.

Chas

you speak about it as if it’s the loch ness moster!!!!!  or big foot!

I’ve not only seen “Nessy” up close but played 2 on a 2-month tour last Fall.  I say I played 2 because the first one broke with a bad touch-screen and the second one had a few bad pots and kept resetting to factory setting every few boots.  It’s a feature-rich keyboard but unfortunately thin-sounding to my ears.  I also had an SV1 with us and that was fun to play but a bit gimmicky with the glowing tube...great drive though.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2012 @ 08:23 AM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010
t.s.nishanth - 07 March 2012 05:15 PM

1)Say apart from mixing , we play it for pure joy of playing and required descent amont of bass, are they tweak-able with all the options behind the HS50M speakers...?

Of course, they can be tweaked with the controls provided on the backside. There is a LEVEL adjustment knob and there are switches for MID EQ, ROOM CONTROL, HIGH TRIM and LOW CUT.

2)How does the Yamaha HS50M compare against the Yamaha MSP3 monitors,since they are priced almost the same.

I have no idea. On paper, the HS50M has much more power.

3)Any idea how much the HS10W subwoofer would cost.?

I had inquired a few months back. At that time, the price was in the range of ₹25,000 (Too costly for me!). I’m not aware of the current prices.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 13, 2012 @ 04:28 AM
t.s.nishanth
Total Posts:  17
Joined  02-25-2012
VikasSharma - 09 March 2012 08:23 AM
t.s.nishanth - 07 March 2012 05:15 PM

1)Say apart from mixing , we play it for pure joy of playing and required descent amont of bass, are they tweak-able with all the options behind the HS50M speakers...?

Of course, they can be tweaked with the controls provided on the backside. There is a LEVEL adjustment knob and there are switches for MID EQ, ROOM CONTROL, HIGH TRIM and LOW CUT.

2)How does the Yamaha HS50M compare against the Yamaha MSP3 monitors,since they are priced almost the same.

I have no idea. On paper, the HS50M has much more power.

3)Any idea how much the HS10W subwoofer would cost.?

I had inquired a few months back. At that time, the price was in the range of ₹25,000 (Too costly for me!). I’m not aware of the current prices.

Thanks for the info Vikas ,

I tried inquiring, the price of the FL1024M Flash Memory for yamaha motif xf twice in the yamaha music square twice but the guys their seem to have no idea at all.

1)Could you please list how much you paid for the
FL1024M Flash Memory,
Firewire card,
Cables for the motif.

*the below questions applies to other guys as well*

2)How much time is required for the Motif XF keys to burn-in..?

And yes the kronos is out of the way...Ask me why because it(61 keys) costs a whopping Rs.2,13,000 !!!! which is more than a Motif xf8....

3)I am planning to buy a XF6 this july and for the lack for full 88 keys(yes i am going to learn piano also!) i am planning to get a 88 key midi controller(right now i have the M-Audio Keystation 88es in mind).

If you know a better alternative to the M-audio keystation 88es, serving as a mere keybed, please do mention. 

4)If i purchase a Korg nanopad2 , can i connect it to the motif directly...?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 15, 2012 @ 02:18 AM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010
t.s.nishanth - 13 March 2012 04:28 AM

I tried inquiring, the price of the FL1024M Flash Memory for yamaha motif xf twice in the yamaha music square twice but the guys their seem to have no idea at all.

1)Could you please list how much you paid for the
FL1024M Flash Memory,
Firewire card,
Cables for the motif.

Frankly, I got both the FW16E FireWire Expansion Card and FL1024M Flash Memory Module ordered through a friend in USA since he was planning to visit India at that time, so I got both of these items at US prices. The prices here for these items are exorbitant to say the least.

Regarding cables, I’ve got many different cables for my whole setup, so there’s no point mentioning the price anyway. But to connect your Motif XF directly to a pair of monitor speakers (e.g., Yamaha HS50M) you just need two unbalanced cables (keep the length shorter than 12 feet to avoid noise pickup) with 1/4 inch TS connectors on both ends. A pair of good quality cables should be somewhere around ₹1,500.

4)If i purchase a Korg nanopad2 , can i connect it to the motif directly...?

AFAIK, it will not work. You need to connect both (your Motif and the nanoPAD) to your computer through separate USB cables after installing the relevant drivers and route your MIDI signals there.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2012 @ 05:28 AM
t.s.nishanth
Total Posts:  17
Joined  02-25-2012

I had one last question regarding the motif xf. Almost in every forum, motif xf has been praised for their acoustic instruments especially the acoustic guitars.

Doing tracks of ambient,electronic,trance, chill out has always been my favorite in music genre.My question was..

1)In general ,does the motif xf only lean to the jazz, pop etc and similar styles of music..?

2) For those who own both the kronos and the motif xf ,do you guys think motif plus all the third party libraries stand good enough against the kronos in the ambient,electronic,trance,chillout..?(no heavy tweaking for me, as i have my PC to do that)

Btw.. i could only manage to play motif xf here in India as they dont have the kronos for demo.I really loved the acoustic instruments in the motif xf and some pads too the pads too,i did not have much time to play other though :( ..
(the reason i ask the 2 above question is because i have not tried the kronos...its not kept here in India(Bangalore) for demos)

Unbiased opinions of members of this forum having both the keyboards would help me greatly.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2012 @ 08:28 AM
MarPabl
Total Posts:  560
Joined  09-08-2011
t.s.nishanth - 07 June 2012 05:28 AM

1)In general ,does the motif xf only lean to the jazz, pop etc and similar styles of music..?

Not necessarily: there are many arpeggios and PERFORMANCES covering other genres. Also, as a workstation you can program it to fit any need you may have.

t.s.nishanth - 07 June 2012 05:28 AM

2) For those who own both the kronos and the motif xf ,do you guys think motif plus all the third party libraries stand good enough against the kronos in the ambient,electronic,trance,chillout..?(no heavy tweaking for me, as i have my PC to do that)

I own both, but I don’t have third party libraries. However, I can tell you that the WAVEFORMS are simply superb: there are great pads and lead synths (digital and analog) which I really love. Regarding evolving/motion sounds, certainly Kronos has advantage because you have VA synth engines and you have more control over the raw oscillators, compared with Motif XF. However, this certainly require you to tweak (but you get more control)

[ Ignore ]  

Page 3 of 3

Previous Topic:

‹‹ New To The Motif XF
Next Topic:

megavoice parameters ››