mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "HELP me choose the proper syntheziser!"

Page 2 of 3
Posted on: March 06, 2012 @ 01:50 AM
Chrisk-K
Total Posts:  44
Joined  05-11-2011

On paper the Kronos is superior to the XF. But what matters is the end result - the sound. I find the Kronos thin sounding - very thin sounding.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2012 @ 02:58 AM
Redhotpoker
Total Posts:  3601
Joined  11-18-2010

Hi Chrisk-K,
Oh Boy, isn’t that the truth. It’s been said, time and time again, just how very rich and full sounding the voices within the Motif XF are. I know when I listen to those in my XF8, I feel very pleased and am a very happy Motif XF owner.

Where possible, a prospective synth buyer should go and trial, playing listening and checking build quality.

Sorry I couldn’t offer anyone advice towards the Kronos, as I’ve never seen one, for real.

Although I did give one away on AHC KSS...to those collectors.
It was a cardboard cutout, but fun to share just the same.

Chas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2012 @ 04:52 AM
t.s.nishanth
Total Posts:  17
Joined  02-25-2012
Redhotpoker - 06 March 2012 02:58 AM

Hi Chrisk-K,
Oh Boy, isn’t that the truth. It’s been said, time and time again, just how very rich and full sounding the voices within the Motif XF are. I know when I listen to those in my XF8, I feel very pleased and am a very happy Motif XF owner.

Where possible, a prospective synth buyer should go and trial, playing listening and checking build quality.

Sorry I couldn’t offer anyone advice towards the Kronos, as I’ve never seen one, for real.

Although I did give one away on AHC KSS...to those collectors.
It was a cardboard cutout, but fun to share just the same.

Chas

In the other thread (http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/459023/) , you mentioned

“Please take advantage of the Ten Year Anniversary offer from Yamaha, which will give you $800.00 worth of extra goodies that you later, may have purchased for full price.”

I am very much in need of such an offer :-),because in websites like zzsounds.com if the XF7 is $3099(Rs.1,64,247 approx.),
here in India it costs around $3302(Rs. 1,75,000),
so i am paying $203 just for the tax,shipping etc,which i could have easily spent on 1 gb flash memory expansion.
Is this offer valid here too in India, in the Yamaha music square showroom...?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2012 @ 05:01 AM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010
t.s.nishanth - 06 March 2012 04:52 AM

No.

The Terms and Conditions make it pretty clear ”Offer valid for U.S. residents only.”.

http://www.yamaha.com/motif10th/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2012 @ 05:08 AM
t.s.nishanth
Joined  02-25-2012
Mlg4ever - 05 March 2012 05:52 PM

The difference is not really for Yamaha or anyone to tell you. It’s you the user and what you intend to do with your machine. As is the bigger the machine the more the price. However it’s more so matter of convenience than anything; that’s why these options are there. Take for example me; I just bought the XF6 and that’s because I needed just that size for now and it works very well for me. I would have paid the money even if it cost me as much as the 7 or 8.  It’s just that I needed a lot of firepower within a smaller rack than the full blown to allow me mobility. It’s really a matter of convenience and you are the decider. In any case you won’t be stuck with a bad thing if you already picked the XF over that other one. Size, they say doesn’t matter at times. Whereas if you were a player, you would eye more the added value of those extra keys to play on.
Peace

In your opinion which one would be better, “yamaha Motif xf6 + m audio keystation 88es” or “XF7” alone,as either one of them i would be spending the same amount,I can’t afford the Motif xf8 so thats out of the question..?

Any limitations that i would have to face with Xf6+88es if i brought one...?
God bless..

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2012 @ 05:14 AM
t.s.nishanth
Joined  02-25-2012
VikasSharma - 06 March 2012 05:01 AM
t.s.nishanth - 06 March 2012 04:52 AM

No.

The Terms and Conditions make it pretty clear ”Offer valid for U.S. residents only.”.

http://www.yamaha.com/motif10th/

Hi Vikas,

Since you are a Motif owner yourself, where did you buy it from..? Meaning did you buy it online like bajaoo.com or yamaha music square, or furtados music store..? ,
how much did it cost you..?,
any online music store that i can get best deal for the XF7...?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2012 @ 05:47 AM
VikasSharma
Joined  10-05-2010
t.s.nishanth - 06 March 2012 05:14 AM

Since you are a Motif owner yourself, where did you buy it from..?

I bought my XF6 from the Yamaha Music Square in New Delhi.

I did not buy everything in one go (I couldn’t afford it). I got the Motif XF6 1st, then an FC5 pedal and a stand after a few days, a pair of HS50M monitors after a few more days, FL1024M Flash Memory some time later, FW16E FW interface after a few more days, an FC7 pedal after another few days, and so on.

If you can afford to buy everything in one go, good for you. If not, make a priority list and get things one-by-one. Even some good cables can cost you something. The important thing is you have to be clear in your mind what you’d like to buy to meet your goals and what you’d like to avoid.

You’ll have to explore this for yourself. Sometimes you get good deals online, but not always. You can also negotiate with some local dealer based on the best prices you see online. Just be careful to buy from a genuine dealer to avoid any warranty issues at a later stage.

All the best!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2012 @ 06:40 AM
t.s.nishanth
Joined  02-25-2012
VikasSharma - 06 March 2012 05:47 AM
t.s.nishanth - 06 March 2012 05:14 AM

Since you are a Motif owner yourself, where did you buy it from..?

I bought my XF6 from the Yamaha Music Square in New Delhi.

I did not buy everything in one go (I couldn’t afford it). I got the Motif XF6 1st, then an FC5 pedal and a stand after a few days, a pair of HS50M monitors after a few more days, FL1024M Flash Memory some time later, FW16E FW interface after a few more days, an FC7 pedal after another few days, and so on.

If you can afford to buy everything in one go, good for you. If not, make a priority list and get things one-by-one. Even some good cables can cost you something. The important thing is you have to be clear in your mind what you’d like to buy to meet your goals and what you’d like to avoid.

You’ll have to explore this for yourself. Sometimes you get good deals online, but not always. You can also negotiate with some local dealer based on the best prices you see online. Just be careful to buy from a genuine dealer to avoid any warranty issues at a later stage.

All the best!

Thanks for the info it was very helpful, since you own the XF6 i wanted to know,that when creating splits on 61keys how many times have you encountered problems of limited keys compared to XF7 or XF8,is this a major pain in the neck..?
Can this(split problem) be solved if say ,i later buy an external midi controller like M-Audio keystation 88es and connect it to the motif xf6 via midi in..?
will this combination of “motif xf6+ M-audio 88es” have the same flexibility as owning an XF7 or XF8 or are their any limitations...?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2012 @ 07:16 AM
VikasSharma
Joined  10-05-2010

Let me put it this way:

> Creating splits on a larger keybed is always going to be better/more flexible.

> The feature-set and sounds are identical on XF6, XF7 and XF8.

> Two keyboards are certainly better when playing live, not so much in the studio.

> Adding a MIDI keyboard controller is a viable option for adding another (larger) keybed while still using the internal Motif sounds.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2012 @ 07:53 AM
Redhotpoker
Total Posts:  3601
Joined  11-18-2010

Hi guys,
I’m pretty ticked off, after replying to Nefti, I found the XF Forum under Spammer Attack, which wrecks my morning to see these fools play this game here.
I’m going to relax and let the Moderators deal with it in the Morning.

If I could get my boney fingers around the neck of this jerk!!!
Last gasp…

I can’t even concentrate right now.

Yeah, that 10th Year Anniversary sale is only good in N. America.
That would have been an awesome offer for you, perhaps even enticing enough to purchase an XF8? I know that’s a huge chunk of change in savings, so for you not being able to participate in, must be a slight downer. But hey, there may be other offers over the horizon which will include you in the future.

Chas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2012 @ 12:22 PM
VikasSharma
Joined  10-05-2010
Redhotpoker - 06 March 2012 07:53 AM

I found the XF Forum under Spammer Attack, which wrecks my morning to see these fools play this game here.

I’ve reported at least 40 spam posts since morning today and also requested the moderators to delete carolyn23‘s account. Alas, the terrible nuisance still continues.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2012 @ 12:24 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

1 Report is enough your 40 notices now become their own form of spam :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2012 @ 12:28 PM
VikasSharma
Joined  10-05-2010
Bad_Mister - 06 March 2012 12:24 PM

1 Report is enough your 40 notices now become their own form of spam :-)

Please accept my sincere apologies if that is the case. I was particularly annoyed to see these spam posts everywhere on the forum.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2012 @ 01:07 PM
milari
Total Posts:  179
Joined  01-25-2009

unless u r a rocket scientist an xf is more than most people can handle. I have a xs an it took me a year to learn how to work it and i am an electronic technician! as for the kronos buy it if you are an straight up hard core commercial musician

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 07, 2012 @ 05:15 PM
t.s.nishanth
Joined  02-25-2012
VikasSharma - 05 March 2012 07:00 AM
t.s.nishanth - 05 March 2012 06:39 AM

Yeah what you said about the Firewire stuff is true its indeed amazing,that is one of the reason i am leaning towards the motif,I inquired about the price of the FW16E firewire audio interface in Yamaha music square, but they did not know, do you know how much it costs here in India.

Approx. price in India should be somewhere around ₹17,500, but you’ll have to inquire on that.

And please mention a good pair of monitor speakers inexpensive ones,as i am on budget constraint.One more question, can’t it(motif) be connected to my regular creative inspire 2.1+subwoofer speakers..?

I’d suggest that you DO NOT skimp on your Monitor Speakers. You can postpone the purchase of other things (e.g. FW16E), but you must get a good pair of monitors.

I’m using a pair of Yamaha HS50M monitors and I’m quite satisfied with the results. A pair in India should be somewhere around ₹20,500 or so.

Those Creative Inspire 2.1 (so much for a name) speakers are NO GOOD for your Motif. These kind of speakers are typically a joke and are good only for connecting to an iPod or perhaps a computer for listening to MP3s. Although you can connect them, the sound that you’re going to get will be awful.

Ever since you suggested the Yamaha HS50M monitor speakers,i have been doing a little research in google and youtube,most say it is “brutally honest” giving a very flat response which is indeed very good for mixing.Now my question was:

1)Say apart from mixing , we play it for pure joy of playing and required descent amont of bass, are they tweak-able with all the options behind the HS50M speakers...?

2)How does the Yamaha HS50M compare against the Yamaha MSP3 monitors,since they are priced almost the same.

3)Any idea how much the HS10W subwoofer would cost.?

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 3

Previous Topic:

‹‹ New To The Motif XF
Next Topic:

megavoice parameters ››