mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "New To The Motif XF"

Page 1 of 3
Posted on: March 05, 2012 @ 03:35 AM
Nefti
Total Posts:  20
Joined  03-04-2012

Just bought my first Motif XF6 about a week ago. I got to where im already making my own patterns. I have no experience in playing keyboards or anything so my notes arent exactly on beat. What i would like to do is correct those notes using the cubase it came with or with PT9. I wanna be able to use the motif in pt9 or cubase so i can edit my notes. I got a Mini Mbox that came with PT9 but it doesnt have the midi in/out. I called Samash and explain them this same problem they told me ill be just fine using a midi usb connected to the motif into my mac? Is this true? By the way they told me to use the Yamaha UX16. I ended up calling a couple days after that and some guy told me i need a audio/midi interface and told me to go with Tascam US144. I need help so i can finish this beat. Never used a workstation before so this is all new to me. Used to make beats in FL but now that i got a mac I went with Reason and Pro tools 9. Would the FW16 be necessary since i already got a audio interface? Thanks for anyone who takes the time to help i’d really appreciate it. Im Kinda lost. I dont know too much about audio/midi interfaces.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2012 @ 04:11 AM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010
Nefti - 05 March 2012 03:35 AM

...my notes arent exactly on beat.

First, try an learn about the QUANTIZE feature of the Motif XF.

From the XF Reference Manual Page 146:

Quantize (Record Quantize)
This convenient feature lets you automatically quantize the notes in real time, as you record. Quantize aligns the timing of note events to the nearest beat. This parameter determines whether real-time Quantize is on or not, and the resolution to which the notes will be aligned. The number
shown at right of each value indicates the length assumes that the quarter-note resolution is 480.

Settings: off, 60 (32nd note), 80 (16th note triplet), 120 (16th note), 160 (8th note triplet), 240 (8th note), 320 (1/4 note triplet), 480 (1/4 note)

Also, see the following threads:

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/457809/
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/457410/

Nefti - 05 March 2012 03:35 AM

...What i would like to do is correct those notes using the cubase it came with or with PT9. I wanna be able to use the motif in pt9 or cubase so i can edit my notes

You can also EDIT your MIDI sequences on the Motif itself.

From the XF Reference Manual Page 179:

The Pattern Edit mode lets you edit the already recorded Phrases or insert the new data to the Phrases. It can be used to correct mistakes as well as add dynamics or effects such as vibrato to refine and finish the Phrase.

Press the [EDIT] button from the Pattern Play mode to go to the Pattern Edit mode.

Note: The Pattern Edit mode gives you comprehensive, detailed controls for editing the MIDI events of individual Pattern tracks. MIDI events are messages (such as note on/off, note number, program change number, etc.) that make up the data of a recorded phrase.

Note: Like the Song Edit mode, Pattern Edit consists of the Event List display and the Insert Event window. The Event List display lets you correct or delete already inserted MIDI events and the Insert Event window lets you insert new events to the Pattern. By using the Insert Event window, you can input the events one by one. The Event List display will always appear when the Pattern Edit mode is first called up.

I’d suggest you wait for some time before getting any interface, be it the FW16E (which by the way is excellent) or any other interface. Try and learn about your Motif as much as possible before you bring the computer into picture. You can, of course, post any queries here and, I’m sure, the forum can be of help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2012 @ 04:19 AM
Redhotpoker
Total Posts:  3601
Joined  11-18-2010

Hi Nefti,
Welcome to Motifator Forum, and congratulations on your Motif XF6 purchase. Man, talk about jumping right in, with both feet.

I wouldn’t be able to help you too much with your concerns. But Midi cords are often used to connect several or a couple of musical instruments together.

I’m sure you will get plenty of quality assistance when ever you ask, within this great Motif Forum.

Ah, enjoy your Motif and time well spent here at Motifator.

Only good luck…

Chas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2012 @ 06:01 AM
Nefti
Joined  03-04-2012

@VikasSharma Thanks for the links and for the advice. Ill def mess around with that Quantize and see how that works. Im def going to look more about that quantize. It’ll be nice to make a straight from the motif without using the computer. I had ordered a Yamaha UX16 Midi Cable because one of the guys from samash said this is all i needed to record my patterns from the motif into cubase or pt9. I dont know too much about this but doesnt my motif have to be connected to my mini mbox for the audio?  Again Thanks for the help and Links. Oh and one of the reasons why i want to use pt9 or cubase is to use reggaeton loops because i cant find any anywhere on the motif unless i skipped it somewhere.

@Redhotpoker Thanks for the welcome bro and for the good luck. I’ve never spent so much money in my tiny home studio but this is the best investment i’ve ever made. Couldn’t be any happier.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2012 @ 06:24 AM
VikasSharma
Joined  10-05-2010

You don’t need the UX16 for recording MIDI data to your favorite DAW on a computer. The Motif XF has a built-in USB MIDI interface which is much better than using a MIDI-USB converter cable.

See the following:

Motif XF USB-MIDI Quick Setup Guide for Macintosh

Also, read the following thread:

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/458088

For recording audio to a computer, of course, an audio interface would be required. You already have the Mbox Mini, so you can use that for your audio recording to a DAW.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2012 @ 06:31 AM
Redhotpoker
Joined  11-18-2010

Hi Nefti,
I’m sure you didn’t just stumble in here, so I’m positive that you have been doing your homework long before you bought into this huge Yamaha Family.

You have not only taken ownership of a marvelous piece of music technology, but also a very fine instrument, which will help you achieve many of your music goals.

I look forward to reading your future posts here and watching you learn & grow as you get into the heart of the wonderful Motif XF.

Hey, only pleasant experiences and many rewards for your dedication and creative spirit.

Enjoy the fun and climb over those hurdles smiling…

Chas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2012 @ 05:11 PM
Nefti
Joined  03-04-2012

@VikasSharma I went to the USB-MIDI Quick Setup Guide I’ve followed every step until i got stuck at the part where i select DEVICES Then Studio Manager. I Go to it, File-Setup- So I can add the XF into Workspace but my problem is is that Motif XF is not showing up on Device Editor To Add it into Workspace. Did i do something wrong? Im using the USB cable from the axiom pro49 that i have because i didnt have any other cable to use for now. I Downloaded everything that page told me to download and i installed them.  What did i do wrong??

@Redhotpoker Thanks for the words once again. I never owned a workstation or a keyboard other than the Axiom Pro which i cant even compare to this because this motif is just Crazy i love it. I know i’ll love it even more once i learn about it even more. Im actually working on a beat which im pretty impressed with being that this is my first keyboard. I just need to edit it before moving on i hate working on it when i know that parts of the beat are not exactly on point. Id like to get that fixed before moving on.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2012 @ 05:19 PM
VikasSharma
Joined  10-05-2010

> What is your OS version?

> What are the versions of the various software/drivers you installed?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2012 @ 06:06 PM
Nefti
Joined  03-04-2012

Version is Mac OS X 10.6.8

And this is what i downloaded from that site you gave me.

SB-MIDI Driver for Mac OS X (10.4.11 - 10.7.x) V1.3.1
MOTIF XF Editor VST V1.5.1 for Mac OS X 10.5.8 / 10.6.x / 10.7.x
Studio Manager V2.3.4 for Mac OS X
MOTIF XF Extension V1.1.0 for Mac OS X 10.5.8 / 10.6.x / 10.7.x

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2012 @ 06:23 PM
Redhotpoker
Joined  11-18-2010

Hi Nefti,
I believe Vikas was referring to your Motif OS version.
You can and should upgrade your Motif OS to v1.30.

Chas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2012 @ 11:35 PM
Nefti
Joined  03-04-2012

Ok Im doing that right now. By the way i just received my UX16 if i do not need these than i should just return them correct?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2012 @ 11:57 PM
Nefti
Joined  03-04-2012

After downloading the zip for this i press download but it wont let me download do I gotta have the motif connected to the internet for it to upgrade because my ethernet wire is no where near the motif. Sorry for the all noob questions but i know absolutely nothing about this.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2012 @ 12:00 AM
Redhotpoker
Joined  11-18-2010

Hi Nefti,
You have nothing to be sorry about here.
Hey, we all had to learn this somewhere from someone.

You might try here.
http://www.motifator.com/storage/softwareupdates/moxf130.zip
Save the file to your desktop first.
It’s been awhile so:
Once you have the zipped file on your desktop, you will also need to download the free Winzip to unzip the files. http://www.winzip.com/downwz.htm There is a readme file within the zip so please Do read that first, for correct procedure.
It’s quite simple really, as you will see.

When you have it open, then drag and drop “only the actual “OS v1.30” into a usb thumb drive, which you will have inserted to your computer, then place that thumb drive in the back of your Motif and follow the directions you read. It should be an easy proceure, even without previous knowledge of this operation.
If you have any futher questions, feel free to ask.

Chas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2012 @ 12:37 AM
Nefti
Joined  03-04-2012

I put the whole file into a usb, took the usb out the mac, turned off the motif, I put the usb into Device, I turned on the motif and nothing happened. I followed these steps

“How to check the version of your MOTIF XF
1. Push [UTILITY] to enter the Utility mode.
2. Push [UTILITY], [Cursor Up] and [F1] buttons simultaneously. “

I Did exactly this and it doesnt show me anything but volume n other things…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2012 @ 12:46 AM
Redhotpoker
Joined  11-18-2010

Hi Nefti,
Please reread my above instructions.

You must unzip the file before you ‘place the OS v 1.3 only’ on your thumbdrive. Then insert the thumbdrive in the Motif.

I do appologize for my quirky instructions.
Please open/unzip the file on your desktop first, and take instruction from the included ReadMe.

Thanks

Chas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2012 @ 12:47 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

To be very clear:

The USB stick must be in the TO DEVICE slot (check)
You must power down the Motif XS

While the unit is powered down, you must hold the following two buttons (the instructions you posted are how to check your version - NOT how to do the UPDATE!!!!!)

Hold [UTILITY] + [UP CURSOR]
Turn on the power with one hand while holding the 2 buttons down with the other…
You can let go when you see the MOTIF XF logo appear at the very top of the screen
(If you have been observant when your Motif comes on, you will know that this Motif XF logo is much higher on the screen - that is the clue you are in UPDATER mode and can let go of the buttons!!

Wait while it boots up in UPDATER mode, it will take its time and search for the file. If you have properly placed it in the ROOT DIRECTORY of the USB stick all will proceed automatically… be patient .... once the file is located (all automatic) the update will proceed.

Relax - it will inform you when it is finished by saying “COMPLETED! PLEASE REBOOT.”

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 3

Previous Topic:

‹‹ SO help me out quick before I lose it!!!
Next Topic:

HELP me choose the proper syntheziser! ››