mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Magnetic Interference"

Posted on: February 27, 2012 @ 09:42 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

I have a small headphone amp/mixer (12v power supply) that I have glued (4) small rare-earth wafer magnets (3/8” dia.) to each corner of the bottom, then put a cork veneer over the magnets to cushion them.  I stick this to the upper left steel deck of my XF8, and it does an excellent job of keeping the little box securely in place, which used to be difficult with the weight and motion of the wires hanging off the back of it.

Are there any issues with signals, either headphone or general XF circuitry -with regard to the magnets- that anyone knows of?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2012 @ 10:16 PM
delirium
Total Posts:  2441
Joined  11-16-2006

yes, the signal can be bent and redirected with possibility of creating a black hole. Very dangerous condition especially during sample looping.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2012 @ 10:26 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
cmayhle - 27 February 2012 09:42 PM

[...]Are there any issues with signals, either headphone or general XF circuitry -with regard to the magnets- that anyone knows of?

A static (stationary) magnetic field isn’t likely to influence electron flow detrimentally, so I wouldn’t be concerned.

If the Motif had a CRT, or used magnetic reed switches, or Hall-effect devices, it could be a different situation.

Just keep any floppy disks a few feet away. :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2012 @ 11:06 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
5pinDIN - 27 February 2012 10:26 PM

Thanks 5pinDIN!  (I’m using my floppy disks for coasters when company comes over)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2012 @ 11:18 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
delirium - 27 February 2012 10:16 PM

yes, the signal can be bent and redirected with possibility of creating a black hole. Very dangerous condition especially during sample looping.

Since I am not doing any sample looping, should I feel somewhat confident in my safety?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2012 @ 12:25 AM
Redhotpoker
Total Posts:  3601
Joined  11-18-2010

Hi cmayhle,
I think the magnetic forces of earths molten core that keep Van Allen Belt in place, would be more harmful.
& would likely be of more concern than a few rare earth magnets. The earth is inside one huge magnetic field/force.
This field protects us from much of what the sun throws at us.
Van Allen radiation belt
Van Allen radiation belt is a torus of energetic charged particles (plasma) around Earth, which is held in place by Earth’s magnetic field. It is thought that most of the particles that form the belts come from solar wind, and other particles by cosmic rays.[1] It is named after its discoverer, James Van Allen, and is located in the inner region of the Earth’s magnetosphere. It is split into two distinct belts, with energetic electrons forming the outer belt and a combination of protons and electrons forming the inner belts. In addition, the radiation belts contain lesser amounts of other nuclei, such as alpha particles. The belts pose a hazard to satellites, which must protect their sensitive components with adequate shielding if their orbit spends significant time in the radiation belts.

But to be safest, I am using an ingenious inexpensive invention that actually was designed after a walk in the wilds & having a fav. wool sweater covered in those seed pods with the sticky prickles and spines.

VELCRO
In the 1940s, George de Mestral invented the first hook and loop fastener after studying the natural hook surface of a cocklebur under a microscope. Today, Velcro USA Inc. is a leader in the industrial, consumer, military, automotive, construction, and personal care markets with fastening innovations such as ULTRA-MATE® plastic HTH, VELTEX® display fabric, ONE-WRAP® straps, STICKY BACK™ tape, clear hook, non-woven fabrics, and many other reclosable fasteners. VELCRO® brand hook and loop fasteners are available with a sew-on or adhesive backing and come in different sizes and materials to best fit your application, whether it be for a disposable diaper, an orthopedic brace, a military uniform, a tradeshow booth, or your next home craft project.

If you use enough VELCRO, you can hang an XF8 on the wall.

But I love playing with those super strong Rare Earth Magnets.

Hang in there…

Chas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2012 @ 12:41 AM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011

Then a belt made from Van Allen Rare Earth VELCRO® could possibly give you the best of both (or possibly several) worlds?  Or at least help keep your pants on.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2012 @ 01:28 AM
Redhotpoker
Joined  11-18-2010
cmayhle - 28 February 2012 12:41 AM

Then a belt made from Van Allen Rare Earth VELCRO® could possibly give you the best of both (or possibly several) worlds?  Or at least help keep your pants on.

Hi cmayhle,
HAHAHA!!, Ah-Yes, that’s it!!
But especially if you reside near the Equator…

So you like a hearty laugh? Who doesn’t?

Eh, did you hear about the old fella who found a suppository in his ear?

Yeah, Apparently now he knows where his hearing aid went.

Chas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2012 @ 10:32 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
cmayhle - 27 February 2012 11:06 PM
5pinDIN - 27 February 2012 10:26 PM

Thanks 5pinDIN!  (I’m using my floppy disks for coasters when company comes over)

Although I wasn’t serious about your situation, some of us still own equipment where a floppy disk is important. It’s not for computer usage, but older synths/samplers. At the moment, I own five pieces of music gear that have floppy drives, four of which are Yamahas. In some cases, SysEx can be used for loading in place of the floppy, but not always.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2012 @ 05:31 PM
delirium
Total Posts:  2441
Joined  11-16-2006

I remember I had once a gig in Bermuda Triangle...magnetic field was so strong that all lower sounds on my motif were distorted and detuned.
Motif’s flash memory was erased and screen melted. I will never play again
without magnetic shield which yamaha started to sell some time ago.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2012 @ 07:13 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011

Amazingly enough, the exact same thing happened to me....twice....in one month.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2012 @ 09:35 PM
Redhotpoker
Joined  11-18-2010
cmayhle - 28 February 2012 07:13 PM

Amazingly enough, the exact same thing happened to me....twice....in one month.

Hi cmayhle,
When the Northern Lights are active up here in ‘Hinterland’, I get a lot of static and crackling from my fingertips, heard right through my 9.1 sound system.
After applying a liberal coating of Kryptonite Jell to all connectors, it has all but slipped away into the night…

For extra protection while live gigging, you can buy those neato Proteus Maximus Kryptonite undies, collar and cuffs. & no more static cling, ever.
They work as well as grounded lightning rods on the roof top.

Chas

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Picked out 3
Next Topic:

Motif XF VST Editor -- User Voices ››