mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Connecting a Condenser Mic to Motif A/D input….."

Posted on: February 26, 2012 @ 08:58 AM
Techman09
Total Posts:  75
Joined  03-17-2008

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations concerning what condenser mic that would work well with the Motif XF, as well as what additional pieces of hardware I may need to buy…

-Do I need to be concerned about phantom power issues?
-If I get an XLR --> 1/4 adapter, will the mic work without any issues?
- I have heard that I may need a DI box, is this corect?

Thanks for whatever mic suggestions / assistance that you give…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 26, 2012 @ 09:40 AM
gtk
Total Posts:  22
Joined  04-28-2009

You can try Rode M3 condenser mic which has internal power supply and do not need phantom power.

http://www.rodemic.com/mics/m3

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 26, 2012 @ 10:34 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

-Do I need to be concerned about phantom power issues?
-If I get an XLR --> 1/4 adapter, will the mic work without any issues?
- I have heard that I may need a DI box, is this corect?

If you purchase a condenser microphone you always must be concerned about getting it the power that it needs. Unlike a dynamic microphone which uses a permanent magnet and a coil of wires to induce an electron to move, a condensor microphone works via applying a charge to a plate - it is the differential in the charge between two plates that induces electrons to flow - significantly, the electrical charge must be applied in order for it to work. Depending on the microphone you purchase you may have a built-in power supply or you must supply it power from an external source. But it requires power to maintain the electrostatic charge.

The Motif-seres does not supply voltage for condenser mics. So your choices to use one include
1) As suggested above get one that includes its own power supply
2) Get a mixer that supplies the +48V typically necessary to run condenser microphones (connect the mic to the mixer, and then connect the mixer to your Motif XF’s A/D NPUTS as a LINE level input)

Condenser microphones must be supplied voltage (either from their own power supply or via the source they are plugged into). Your microphone will come with documentation that will tell you about what type of connector to use and what signal goes through each of the wires. Pay attention to this. Adpaters make a jack fit but are not always proper - this can be true particularly when you must supply voltage to a microphone. Do not connect a microphone improperly when voltage is being supplied to it, (the lips and teeth are particularly unfriendly places to take a shock!) If you don’t know about your microhone, ask the manufacturer.

In general, if you want to use a condenser microphone that requires an external power supply, get a proper mixer or device to supply that microphone what it needs to work properly. Do not assume YOU know something when you don’t, you don’t want to make assumptions that it is ok (like adapting a condenser mic with a TS 1/4” cable when voltage needs to run through that connector - it is not OK)

If your microphone does not come with documentation - call or visit the manufacturer’s website and get it.  And if you buy a condenser microhone without a power supply it is assumed you have a device (mixer) that will supply the +48V phantom power. Otherwise purchase the microphone with the recommended power supply.  Some condenser microphones have their own power sources - be sure to check internal batteries - the microphone will not work without that supplied charge.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 26, 2012 @ 11:08 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

If the mic is an electret condenser type, it will typically use an internal battery to power the amplifier (not the electret, which doesn’t need a charging supply) built into the mic. That built-in amp converts the extremely high impedance of the electret into a lower impedance that would be compatible with an input such as the A/D one on a Motif.

While many non-electret condenser mics require 48 volt phantom power, not all do. Some run on as little as 12 volts. It’s possible to get an inexpensive supply that provides either 12 or 48 volts. For example:
http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-PS400-Ultra-Compact-Phantom-Supply/dp/B000FG795I
(Please read the reviews… this particular model might not be your best choice, but there are others.)

Some active DI boxes run on phantom power, but a DI box shouldn’t be needed for your purposes.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 26, 2012 @ 01:21 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

You can also buy small mixers that provide XLR jacks and phantom power, for instance the Yamaha MG102C ($100 street price).

This is a good choice if you can also use the mixer for other duties.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2012 @ 03:31 PM
Techman09
Joined  03-17-2008

Got it. Thanks Guys.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2012 @ 04:03 PM
bwhli
Total Posts:  40
Joined  08-30-2011

I actually use the MG102C to power my condenser before outputting the signal to the Motif XF. Works fine for me!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 29, 2012 @ 11:52 AM
Techman09
Joined  03-17-2008

Oh wow, thanks for letting me know this bwhli. I am going to look into this.

[ Ignore ]