mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Getting good monitor sound live? Near-Field Alternative?"

Posted on: February 23, 2012 @ 07:04 PM
HighNotes83
Total Posts:  40
Joined  11-03-2004

Hey Guys, any tips on getting the best monitor sound live. Im playing in a church, using a MOX8 going straight into F.O.H. and back out to JBL JRX112M monitor, which I thought was a pretty decent sounding monitor, but it sounds very dull and uninspiring. There’s no eq on the monitor mix. Is that the issue or should I invest in a better monitor? I want a playing experience as close to as I get in my studio with KRK monitors. How about using near-field monitors in live situations?? They would be very close and the set up is static(the same every week). Would this be better? Please Help

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2012 @ 12:06 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I’m going to venture a guess that the “very dull and uninspiring” sound is due to the signal coming back to your monitors may not be STEREO.

The difference in a mono/stereo signal will have a bigger impact versus what brand speakers are involved - I think that you are missing the fullness and inspiring spatial dynamic that STEREO brings to the table (particularly when it comes to your own personal monitoring requirements).

Work with your sound people to see if they can maintain the stereo field for you on stage

You want stereo on-stage, whether or not they are doing so front-of-house. You may want to invest in a mixer, on-stage, that can give you what you need on stage and send to the FOH mixer what they need. (instead of counting on them to maintain the stereo pathway to and back from the FOH - most sound engineers go for convenient - it is less convenient to maintain stereo on an incoming signal - many sound people will go into excuse mode about stereo (but do realize it is twice as much: stereo takes 2 channels, it means 2 direct boxes, it means 2 cables, it means twice as much work to them, and OH NO, then they have to send stereo back to you) I only mention this so when you get *resistance* to your suggestion, you can appreciate where it comes from… stereo means twice the effort, it may also mean they cannot do it due to lack of gear (just so you know).

My point: it is worth it.

An alternative is to:
Take control of your own on-stage mix. Guitar players have thier own amplification, bass players have their own amplification… and they control their on-stage sound, what they send to FOH is from this on-stage setup. The keyboard player should think this way as well. And stereo is a a big part of what makes the sound of today’s synths full and inspiring. It may not be so important for any other instrument as it is for your keyboard.

As a long time musician - I found that being able to really hear myself well, became the most important thing - If I can hear, I feel better, I can play better (simple but important) - I enjoy the experience. Not being able to hear, I’d rather go dig a ditch (if you get my meaning).

Hope that helps. If however, I guessed wrong and the issue is the speakers - there are many new high fidelity monitor systems coming to market - that can handle the rigors of live shows. “Near-field monitors” fair best at very close range, in prepared rooms and do not do well in large open spaces (high ceilings, etc.) “Active speaker” systems or small “personal PA” systems are great alternatives because they give high quality/ high fidelity sound at the extreme high output levels often necessary in live performing.
Yamaha makes powered speakers and small PA systems that go from 100W per side to 1300W per side (no joke). These are not just loud speakers they are high definition sound quality.

On the calendar for this year are a series of articles on using synthesizers, and keyboards in general, on stage. What systems are available, what the pros do, etc.
Please look for this later this spring and summer.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2012 @ 07:30 PM
HighNotes83
Total Posts:  40
Joined  11-03-2004

Thank you so much for sharing your wealth of knowledge! I haven’t been on here in awhile, but you’ve been helping me since 2004 lol! I was thinking the same thing in terms of having my own set up. But I have yet to find speakers that sound as good as the KRK monitors I have at home, in terms of presence, articulation, and clarity. Is that unreasonable to look for studio qualities on par or better than KRK in a small PA? I tried to hook up two of the JBLs to a powered mixer and it sounded pretty bad, and the stereo panning was “harsh” on the same patches it sounded great on the monitors. I tried KRK 5s and they didnt have enough power. Thinking about trying the KRK 8s…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2012 @ 03:29 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Again, near field monitors, in general will not have sufficient power to be effective in most On-stage environments. if you are looking for quality high-fidelity systems suitable for stage check out the link below:

Yamaha DXR Active Loudspeakers
We are talking 1100 watts here

Smaller systems include the “Yamaha StagePas 300” and “StagePas 500” (150W and 250W per side)

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Gigging in Stereo?
Next Topic:

Need new vehicle to transport xs8 ››