mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Change time signature in Performance mode?"

Posted on: February 07, 2012 @ 11:19 PM
moxrox
Total Posts:  440
Joined  11-28-2011

I am trying to use the metronome function of the MOX6 while practicing.  While in Performance mode, I know I can turn the metronome on and off, change the volume, and set the tempo.  However, I don’t see any way to change the time signature without going into Record mode on the sequencer.  It seems a little odd that I can set all the necessary parameters EXCEPT the time signature, so I suspect I have missed something.  Is there a way to do this without going into Record mode?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 08, 2012 @ 02:22 AM
nooncheez
Total Posts:  7
Joined  02-08-2012

I’m curious about that too but would also like to know if there is a way to assign the modulation wheel to control tempo while in PERFORMANCE mode and using a PATTERN to play a sequence.  Such a feature would make it very nice to modify the tempo on the go so to speak in a live situation.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 08, 2012 @ 04:15 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I am trying to use the metronome function of the MOX6 while practicing.  While in Performance mode, I know I can turn the metronome on and off, change the volume, and set the tempo.  However, I don’t see any way to change the time signature without going into Record mode on the sequencer.  It seems a little odd that I can set all the necessary parameters EXCEPT the time signature, so I suspect I have missed something.  Is there a way to do this without going into Record mode?

Just like in the real world - you cannot just change the time signature of something that is pre-recorded.

Here is how to think about a device like a keyboard workstation and things like Time Signature. In order to “teach” the sequencer how musicians count time - instead of the computer chip dividing time in the familiar hours, minutes and seconds - musicians don’t count that way we count time in BPM (Beats per minute) and number of beats in a measure.

Such that if I told you at measure 33 we go to the bridge, that is better some how then saying to you at 1 minute and 2 seconds we go to the bridge. The first command does not scare you musically, the second does because you don’t count time that way.

If you have a tape recording, a record, a CD with a recording of your favorite drummer playing funk groove in 4/4, you cannot “change the time signature” and listen to it back in 3/4. Why? Because you cannot change the time signature of something playing back - after the fact.

So setting the TIME SIGNATURE is very much like setting the PHRASE LENGTH when Recording to the Motif XF’s PATTERN sequencer: You must set the TIME SIGNATURE and the PHRASE LENGTH prior to recording. This tells the recorder how to count (how many beats in a measure and how many beats in a minute). If you want to record something in 3/4, that is 3 Beats to a Measure and every Quarter note gets one Beat, you would set the TIME SIGNATURE before you record; this way the measure counter and click will make sense and the Pattern can be properly constructed..

You are not doing anything but playing back a pre-recorded arpeggio type (which was created by recording data to the sequencer and converting it to an arp). So again you cannot change the time signature of something that is pre-recorded. No more than you can reverse time or defy gravity, it is just one of those things that when you look at it in the light you have to just accept. No, there is not going to be an update for this.

That said, arpeggios are very, very flexible in terms of how much you can affect the feel of what they are doing - using the ARPEGGIO PLAY FX - but you cannot use these to turn a funk groove in to a Viennese Waltz, it is not going to happen. You can make a straight groove Shuffle, you can staighten out a shuffle but you can’t change Time Signatures.

If you want to create a PERFORMANCE in a different time signature you can - by creating your own data for it using the internal SEQUENCER.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 08, 2012 @ 09:17 PM
moxrox
Joined  11-28-2011

Thanks, but that wasn’t what I was trying to do.  I’m not using the sequencer at all.  I am trying to use the metronome function for practice (not recording), but didn’t know how to set the time signature.  I can see how to set the tempo and volume, but not the time signature.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 08, 2012 @ 11:29 PM
drod267
Total Posts:  25
Joined  07-11-2011

If you’re not using the sequencer or arrpegios, why not just create different sections in a particular pattern that you only use for practicing?

Section A could be 4/4 time with 1/4 note rim shots.
Section B could be 3/4 time with 1/4 note rim shots.
etc…

Sections loop forever so you could practice that way.
Add a bell or triangle at the first beat of the measure if you like and it will be like a real metronome.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2012 @ 12:51 AM
moxrox
Joined  11-28-2011

Yes, thanks for the suggestion.  I could create a pattern, or even a user arpeggio, and that’s probably what I will end up doing.  I just thought I was missing something and that the metronome (click) function could be used.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2012 @ 01:30 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Thanks, but that wasn’t what I was trying to do.  I’m not using the sequencer at all.  I am trying to use the metronome function for practice (not recording), but didn’t know how to set the time signature.  I can see how to set the tempo and volume, but not the time signature.

I know you are not using the sequencer at all… but what I’m telling you is that you should be if you want to setup your own CLICK in a specific Time Signature (or maybe I wasn’t clear) It does not matter that you are practicing, not recording, the Metronme’s primary purpose here is for reference during recording (setting up to record). So even if you don’t record - the MOX will not care if you do or don’t - you simply need to setup as if you were going to record - you tell the sequencer what Time Signature and what Tempo and it will allow you activate a CLICK that corresponds to those settings… Whether or not your are practicing or recording is between you and your MOX.

you started by saying you were in PERFORMANCE mode, so therefore your CLICK will reference what ever TEMPO and TIME SIGNATURE is pre-set by the assigned ARPEGGIOS ... was that not clear? You cannot change that simply by adjusting a Time Signature parameter - it is already set for the PERFORMANCE. That is the case. If you want to setup your own TIME SIGNATURE and corresponding CLICK - then go to the SEQUENCER… etc., etc.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2012 @ 01:37 AM
moxrox
Joined  11-28-2011

OK, thanks for the explanation.  Now I understand.  I did not realize that the tempo referred to the arpeggios associated with the performance.  Thanks again!

[ Ignore ]