mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Can’t Get My Audiogram 6 ASIO Driver Open"

Posted on: January 30, 2012 @ 01:56 AM
Steve Pas
Total Posts:  87
Joined  02-29-2008

Hi everyone,
A couple of nights ago the USB port I always plug my Audiogram 6 into apparently fried itself out while I was using the Audiogram to listen to wave files.  No problem I figured, I’ll just plug the Audiogram into another USB port and go from there.  The new hardware detected process seemed to work OK, and I was able to again listen to wave files with Media Player.

Now, tonight when I wanted to do some recording into Cubase AI4, in the VST Audio System window under Device Setup, when I try to switch to Yamaha USB Asio as the driver, I get the following message: “Device could not be opened.” In my VST connections for the busses the USB Audio CODEC -1 and -2 are showing up, as well as in the VST System Link.

I have tried switching to other USB ports and nothing changes.  Like I said the computer switches to the audiogram for audio output when it is plugged in when I don’t have Cubase AI4 running.

Am I missing something in my device setup that would have been prompted by simply changing the USB port the Audiogram is plugged into?

I am running Windows XP, 32 bit.  The Audiogram did not require any driver software to be installed.

Any thoughts from out there would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Steve Pas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 30, 2012 @ 02:24 AM
frankE
Total Posts:  5350
Joined  12-23-2002

Not sure this is a Cubase problem, but when you go into devices, device setup etc. are you seeing the ASIO driver Panel for your device? If Cubase isn’t seeing that, what you see in VST Connections won’t matter. It’s a bit confusing to me because of “when I try to switch to Yamaha USB Asio as the driver, I get the following message: “Device could not be opened”. You also reported that the device “did not require any driver software to be installed”. What possibly may have happened is when you reinstalled the device, Windows XP did not select and install the correct driver. So it may work okay in Windows itself, but not in Cubase. You need to check that out in Windows Device Manager.

Is it also possible that somehow your hardware was damaged as well? Have you gone into Windows Device Manager and also checked to see that the “Device is working properly”, that there are no conflicts and it’s set as the sole audio device for your computer? I’d like to help more, but XP and AI4 are now far in the past and I’m not very familiar with your device. As I say, perhaps this is more of a hardware problem that Yamaha should handle. If you have a solid ASIO driver installed correctly for your device and your device is functioning as it should, Cubase will recognize it. So I’d focus on Windows and the device itself right now. Sorry I can’t be of more help............frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 30, 2012 @ 03:33 PM
Steve Pas
Joined  02-29-2008

Hello Frank,
Thanks for the reply; I was hoping you would post a reply.  You have given me a couple more avenues to explore on this one with the Windows side of the house.  I did check Device Manager and it was showing the device to be working properly and it is the listed audio device when it is plugged in.  I will dive into trying to figure out which driver option Windows may have picked for me here.

As far the ASIO driver Panel I am not sure if I have gotten to that screen.  I am at work now so I can’t look at my system, but looking at the manual makes me wonder if you are referring me to the “VST Audio System” window in AI4?

And, I can’t rule out damage to the Audiogram interface.  After I reinstalled it it seems like I had to increase the output volume more than normal; don’t know if that is related to an incorrect/different driver being invoked or the hardware beginning to fry.  I’ll explore some more tonight as time allows.

Thanks again, your willingness to help us complete amateurs is a great benefit to everyone here on this forum.

Cheers,
Steve Pas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 30, 2012 @ 05:21 PM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002
Steve Pas - 30 January 2012 03:33 PM

looking at the manual makes me wonder if you are referring me to the “VST Audio System” window in AI4?

Hi Steve,
Yes, I seem to recall that AI uses the term you mentioned, but since I don’t use AI, I’m working from memory here. :) “ASIO Control Panel” is a generic term used with commercial versions. In any case, what you are looking for is the place where you set things like buffer settings, so are you seeing that?

One other thing you mentioned though was “it is the listed audio device when it is plugged in”. Are you by chance using other audio devices such as built-in audio or an consumer audio card in your computer? If so, they could also be a possible cause of driver conflicts. It was mentioned here one time that someone felt that the Yamaha driver didn’t create conflicts, but nevertheless most other audio drivers of the type I mentioned certainly do, so I still suggest it’s also something to consider. The wisest choice with any music computer is, IMHO, to have only one audio device...your digital audio interface + ASIO driver...in place. All other audio devices should be disabled and removed, and on-board audio disabled in the BIOS. It’s the safest approach and the most effective. BTW, which “Yamaha USB Asio” driver version are you using?

Somewhere within these areas lies the answer, so I’ll let you carry on with your testing at your convenience. HTH. Cheers..............frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 31, 2012 @ 12:21 AM
Steve Pas
Joined  02-29-2008

Hi again,
Just some further non-successful updates.  When I get to the VST Audio System window, I have two choices:
1. ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Driver
2. Yamaha USB Audio

I can remember in the past going with number two and ending up with about 11 ms of latency.

The Yamaha Audiogram specifically states in the manual that the Audiogram uses the standard drivers included in your computer’s operating system.  I looked up the driver being used, which is a Microsoft version 5.1.2535.0, dated 7/1/2001 (pretty old, eh?).  Looking at the details, there are 8 files in the C:Windows\system32\drivers\ directory, one of which is USBAUDIO.sys.

I also tried disable the motherboard sound application and the webcam sound application which did not improve the situation.

Again, Windows is indicating the interface is working.  I can hookup my keyboard and here what it is playing through the interface, but nothing seems to be going into Cubase AI still.

So, is this starting to sound like a burnt piece of hardware that is no longer of any use?  When I do make the switch to Yamaha USB Audio, I can hear what sounds like it switching on, then after a second or so that sound repeats again.

Regards,
A Saddened Steve Pas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 31, 2012 @ 12:51 AM
Steve Pas
Joined  02-29-2008

And this just gets better and better (NOT!!!) I went to Yamahasynth.com, saw they had a USB ASIO driver available for download, so I downloaded it.  I can now choose that ASIO in my VST Audio System window.  Now I have an interesting dilemma that when I call up old projects and start them, the project plays along and there is absolutely no output of any audio on any channel.  Absolutely zip.  I am getting further and further confused now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve Pas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 31, 2012 @ 02:14 AM
Steve Pas
Joined  02-29-2008

Problem Solved!!!

I guess downloading the special driver from Yamaha did the trick.  I guess it took Cubase AI a number of shutdowns and restarts before it finally recognized everything and was able to start the audio flowing again.  I just quickly recorded a 3-track project and everything worked again.

Thanks for your help Frank.  Your pointers helped my thought process in going through the issues on this one.

Happy again,
Steve Pas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 31, 2012 @ 02:32 AM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

Interesting. Just as you were posting I was about to send you a link to download the Yamaha USB driver you need. It has to be the one for XP and it is version 1.1.2. If you got another driver, and you do need the correct one for your device, go here:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/interfaces/audiogram/audiogram6/?mode=model

Glad it was driver problem and not the device itself. Cheers............frank

[ Ignore ]